New garmin product 1040edge, 840, 540

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Robius

by Robius

Garmin Edge 540 - $350
Garmin Edge 540 Solar - $450
Garmin Edge 840 - $450
Garmin Edge 840 Solar - $550
2016 Felt AR2 Di2
Retired:
2017 Giant TCR Pro 2
2015 Cannondale Synapse 6

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alanyu

by alanyu

wait wait wait. Is the battery life a joke? Edge 830 is expected 20 hrs with navigation on, 2 sensors connected, phone connected and auto brightness always on, while up to 40 hrs with saver mode. My 830 can hold roughly 24 hrs with navigation on, 3 sensors connected and auto brightness 10 seconds when new (and yes the battery degraded with time going), so I can expect at least 26 hrs with navigation off and nothing connected.

However, 840 is only up to 26 hrs. and 42 hrs. with saver mode. There is almost no improvement about battery life. 1040 has a holy 45% more battery life under high load vs 1030 plus (35 vs 24). I'm disappointed on not including a larger battery/making full use of internal space.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

alanyu wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:35 am
wait wait wait. Is the battery life a joke? Edge 830 is expected 20 hrs with navigation on, 2 sensors connected, phone connected and auto brightness always on, while up to 40 hrs with saver mode. My 830 can hold roughly 24 hrs with navigation on, 3 sensors connected and auto brightness 10 seconds when new (and yes the battery degraded with time going), so I can expect at least 26 hrs with navigation off and nothing connected.

However, 840 is only up to 26 hrs. and 42 hrs. with saver mode. There is almost no improvement about battery life. 1040 has a holy 45% more battery life under high load vs 1030 plus (35 vs 24). I'm disappointed on not including a larger battery/making full use of internal space.
No, I think Garmin are a little crafty when it comes to battery life with the 1040. They link to a chart that is for the Solar. 45 hours battery life is with solar taken into account. The 840 specs are not yet officially out, so we only have one dealer who has jumped the gun and may have not got the listing correct.

alanyu

by alanyu

ultimobici wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:47 am
alanyu wrote:

No, I think Garmin are a little crafty when it comes to battery life with the 1040. They link to a chart that is for the Solar. 45 hours battery life is with solar taken into account. The 840 specs are not yet officially out, so we only have one dealer who has jumped the gun and may have not got the listing correct.
I quoted 35 hrs which is for non-solor model. Anyway, I hope Garmin includes a larger battery in 840/540

handler

by handler

Looks like no innovation to me. Karoo 2 is still the only computer that represent todays technology. And yes, I have both the 1040 and the Karoo 2. Sold the 1040 after a couple of weeks due to feeling like yesterdays tech.

RDY

by RDY

alanyu wrote:

They're not going to push the boat out too far when the two biggest competitors are miles behind - Karoo awful battery life, Wahoo bad on both V2s, together with high probability of it losing your ride the longer it goes on.

It's really important that SRAM make big improvements with the Karoo 3.

usr

by usr

(edit: according to the5krunner there's a 540 solar, now I think that the most likely explanation is all shops that show buttons and claim the device is called 840 have simply mixed things up, perhaps wrongly inferring from price, assuming that the most expensive price point can't be a 540)

Super weird to see all those leaks suggesting an 840 with buttons (one even has discernible solar and buttons, that wouldn't be in an image mixup).

I mean I'm all for it, having a touchscreen but also buttons for when you want to keep the screen clean, but I'd have expected "both" to become a 1040 exclusive, and when the 1040 turned out to be touch only, the 1050. Will the 840 be ahead of the 1040 in having both? That would mean that Garmin *really* sucks at making a product portfolio where lower price offerings don't cannibalize higher ranges! (oh, we kind of knew that before, right? But every time that knowledge is confirmed again it's a new surprise!)
Last edited by usr on Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thirdsun

by thirdsun

handler wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:58 pm
Looks like no innovation to me. Karoo 2 is still the only computer that represent todays technology. And yes, I have both the 1040 and the Karoo 2. Sold the 1040 after a couple of weeks due to feeling like yesterdays tech.
I'm really interested in what a potential Karoo 3 has to offer but they absolutely need to improve battery life. Significantly.

Also, I'd prefer a more readable and efficient display, like Wahoo uses. A display that is hard to read in sunlight is useless.
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

thirdsun

by thirdsun

usr wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:24 pm
Super weird to see all those leaks suggesting an 840 with buttons (one even has discernible solar and buttons, that wouldn't be in an image mixup).

I mean I'm all for it, having a touchscreen but also buttons for when you want to keep the screen clean, but I'd have expected "both" to become a 1040 exclusive, and when the 1040 turned out to be touch only, the 1050. Will the 840 be ahead of the 1040 in having both? That would mean that Garmin *really* sucks at making a product portfolio where lower price offerings don't cannibalize higher ranges! (oh, we kind of knew that before, right? But every time that knowledge is confirmed again it's a new surprise!)
It is a strange choice indeed. However I can understand their thought process. My guess is that a significant amount of customers opted for the 530 because they didn't want to rely on touchscreen input only. Having both options seems like a good decision. Admittedly a decision that would have been obvious for the 1040 as well.
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

marian

by marian

I expect that Rainmaker will test them shortly before putting them on sale

jlok

by jlok

thirdsun wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:04 pm
handler wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:58 pm
I'm really interested in what a potential Karoo 3 has to offer but they absolutely need to improve battery life. Significantly.

Also, I'd prefer a more readable and efficient display, like Wahoo uses. A display that is hard to read in sunlight is useless.
They also need to work on the hardware. USB-C port that stop charging / provide loud warning when the port is wet (try that with a Samsung phone and you'll be presented with a loud warning); change to Garmin style mount completely or make that adaptor plate won't break anymore. (seriously, why invent their own mounting tab when the Garmin style is so popular... licensing issue?)

I want them to improve and then in turn push Garmin to leap. I like Garmin Edge hardware design more than competitors.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

usr

by usr

thirdsun wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:09 pm
usr wrote:

It is a strange choice indeed. However I can understand their thought process. My guess is that a significant amount of customers opted for the 530 because they didn't want to rely on touchscreen input only. Having both options seems like a good decision. Admittedly a decision that would have been obvious for the 1040 as well.
According to the post on the5krunner (which I had not seen when I wrote my precious reply), the solar variant is a 540. If the original "three new SKU" prediction remains correct (which I'd take as a given considering that it's based on FCC registrations) I read that as 540, 540solar and 840. That would actually make a lot of sense, since many riders in the muddier variations of cycling actually prefer buttons and solar should be particularity attractive to those dreaming of off-grid adventure. If you don't won't to get completely carried away with variants and think that five might be a sweet spot, 1040(+s), 840, 540(+s) is clearly the best portfolio, if you had to sacrifice either the 1040 solar or the 540 solar to have an 840 solar it's really the 840 point that shouldn't have a solar option.

Sock3t

by Sock3t

alanyu wrote:

I charge my 1040 solar every other month or so. I ride 3-4 days a week.

usr

by usr

marian wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:17 pm
I expect that Rainmaker will test them shortly before putting them on sale
Heh, I wonder if Ray responds to *any* comment threads on his sites in days like these, might just give himself a temporary write ban and take a few days off, as a measure of prudence ;)

(yeah I know this speculation won't work out in reality, because across all of Garmin's et al product ranges few days aren't "days like these", it just feels that way in our cycling bubble)

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

usr wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:10 pm
thirdsun wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:09 pm
usr wrote:

According to the post on the5krunner (which I had not seen when I wrote my precious reply), the solar variant is a 540. If the original "three new SKU" prediction remains correct (which I'd take as a given considering that it's based on FCC registrations) I read that as 540, 540solar and 840. That would actually make a lot of sense, since many riders in the muddier variations of cycling actually prefer buttons and solar should be particularity attractive to those dreaming of off-grid adventure. If you don't won't to get completely carried away with variants and think that five might be a sweet spot, 1040(+s), 840, 540(+s) is clearly the best portfolio, if you had to sacrifice either the 1040 solar or the 540 solar to have an 840 solar it's really the 840 point that shouldn't have a solar option.
Why would it be 3 SKU's? Garmin offers each model in 3 versions, Head Unit, Bundle & MTB, which would each require an individual SKU. I would be surprised if Garmin don't offer solar on both.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com