Shimano force Hammerhead to remove Di2 functionality

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

guyc

by guyc

Well this *f##k* sucks

https://support.hammerhead.io/hc/en-us/ ... ntegration

GP Lama - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iznFvwOfdjw

DC Rainmaker - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQufDU7EyMU

"Here at Hammerhead, we are committed to constantly improving in ways that benefit riders. With each update and integration, we chart an intentional path of continuous improvement.

Unfortunately, we don't always have the ability to supply every product integration we want for our riders. At the request of Shimano, effective with next Thursday’s software update on June 2nd, riders who utilized Di2 integration will lose access to a small subset of features. The update will remove on-screen battery status, shifter mode data, front and rear derailleur indications, and Karoo screen control via the Di2 hood buttons from Shimano Di2 drivetrains.

Important note: All other Karoo 2 functionality will continue to work for Shimano riders. It is this small subset of Di2 features that Shimano has withdrawn permissions for until we are able to forge a new agreement."

Hammerhead have confirmed this is a response to SRAM buying Hammerhead.

Also some nonsense from Hammerhead as this is in no way a 'small subset of Di2 features'

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

markyboy

by markyboy

Just got my e mail total crap really as i use the functions a lot
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

AJS914

by AJS914

Turn off updates for now. :-)

guyc

by guyc

Have already!

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Worth emphasizing this was Shimano's decision. Hammerhead has always been pretty good working with companies that want to be apart of the Karoo ecosystem. Unfortunate for sure.

Perhaps someone clever will create an app we can sideload to bring back controls if you end up updating the device.
Just ride ..

handler

by handler

This is a dealbreaker for me. Hoping the Garmin 840 is released soon.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Hammerhead is Sram now, this was inevitable

guyc

by guyc

It's just utterly unnecessary. A total dick move by Shimano.

RDY

by RDY

itsacarr wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 7:19 pm
Worth emphasizing this was Shimano's decision. Hammerhead has always been pretty good working with companies that want to be apart of the Karoo ecosystem. Unfortunate for sure.

Perhaps someone clever will create an app we can sideload to bring back controls if you end up updating the device.
Well, it was HammerHead(SRAM)'s decision to comply with the request. I don't think Shimano have any way to force them to do so. But I would imagine SRAM's decision to comply had more to do with maintaining neutral relations with Shimano, given the defensive patent portfolios they hold. That holds considerable implied threat.

Awful that Shimano requested this in the first place though. They bought Pioneer to prevent a competitor buying them, killed the company and products, and didn't replace them - and judging by their still worst-in-industry software update process, aren't working on it.

Yet they still seek to exclude people who've bought their products from getting data readouts from a head unit owned by a competitor, but for which, per above, they purposely decided to have no competing product after buying a company that made them ...

Another really bad decision on Shimano's part that a lot of their customers won't forget quickly if they don't reverse it.

joejack951

by joejack951

RDY wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 9:17 pm
itsacarr wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 7:19 pm

Well, it was HammerHead(SRAM)'s decision to comply with the request. I don't think Shimano have any way to force them to do so. But I would imagine SRAM's decision to comply had more to do with maintaining neutral relations with Shimano, given the defensive patent portfolios they hold. That holds considerable implied threat.
If there had to be an agreement in the first place for Hammerhead to access that data then I have to assume that Shimano has ‘it’ patented and Hammerhead was given a license to use it. Without a license they’d be violating Shimano’s patent and they certainly then could force Hammerhead to stop.

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

I wonder how the boys at Israel-Premier Tech are feeling right now. Only WorldTour team still on 11s and now this head unit headache.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

I doubt they all have d-fly’s on their bikes…

Cemicar

by Cemicar

No surprize if Shimano is such narrow-minded, but wonder if there actually exists a hidden story, like Shimano has finally made the use of the acquired Pioneer technology Garmin started supporting after Wahoo, and they asked Hammerhead to follow, but declined (partly because of SRAM relationship), so Shimano revoked the license. "Sell more of ours, or nothing" is commonly seen in this industry (e.g. Specialized). The same thing may happen to Bryton or Lezyne though they're independent.

kode54

by kode54

This is another nail on the coffin. Since Shimano Dura Ace 12 speed is still difficult to get, while most SRAM groups are selling well…cutting off access to view Di2 data in the Karoo will get more switches to SRAM.

Can’t find any reason Shimano would restrict access since it’s all ANT+.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

StiffWeenies wrote:I wonder how the boys at Israel-Premier Tech are feeling right now. Only WorldTour team still on 11s and now this head unit headache.
Yeah, especially Froome since he’s on Karoo and talks about it.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc