Next generation of SRAM RED eTap AXS

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ChrisRideLog

by ChrisRideLog

Hey folks,

we have had 500 pages of rumors before the latest and greatest Shimano Dura Ace was officially launched.

SRAM RED eTap AXS was launched more than three years ago and is due for an update.

Are there really no rumors out there in the field?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

justonwo

by justonwo

Good question. I've had quite a few problems with the three Red AXS groupsets I've had over the last few years. Two failed RDs. One failed crankset. Lots of chain drops. I'd just like to see them improve the overall reliability. I do like the product when it works. Braking is great. Complete wireless setup is slick. I wonder if they'll actually attempt to go to lower gears? Getting a full 14 tooth jump in the front would be great to add just a touch more top end. Oh, and massless would be great as well.
2020 Pinarello Dogma F12 AXS Red (Enve SES 3.4 Disc, Zipp 353)
2021 S-Works Aethos Di2 9200 (Alpinist CLX II)
2006 Cervelo Soloist
2021 S-Works Epic

Retired: 2014 S-Works Roubaix
2020 S-Works Roubaix
2020 Canyon Ultimate
2018 S-Works Camber

check6

by check6

I have the Etap and AXS and much prefer the Etap. The shifting is better and braking with the AXS system SUCKS. I'm replacing pads way too often and the shifting isn't as snappy as my Etap. YMMV.

Cemicar

by Cemicar

A small yet good move is USB Type-C. My eTap battery charger and Garmin Edge are among the last devices with Micro USB ports. People nowadays put so much effort to annihilate lighting cables, but Micro USB also should go. And it's also time to change the entire battery design, as many people have problems with those broken tabs (mine still work but cracked anyway).

jlok

by jlok

Cemicar wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 3:47 am
A small yet good move is USB Type-C. My eTap battery charger and Garmin Edge are among the last devices with Micro USB ports. People nowadays put so much effort to annihilate lighting cables, but Micro USB also should go. And it's also time to change the entire battery design, as many people have problems with those broken tabs (mine still work but cracked anyway).
Agree. And the current eTap battery charger micro USB port is stupid. The case shape is making the USB port not working with all cables. Yes, you can always use the supplied one but then why go micro USB? Not universal at all :) I hope SRAM won't fail again.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

I have SRAM eTap/ hydro 11 speed on my main road bike, I put it on two years ago and other than charging batteries here and there I have had zero issues with it. Shifts well, no battery issues including tabs breaking and no derailleur failures and I did buy back up derailleurs due to the failure horror stories. I may even wind up selling my spare derailleurs if I still have no issue in a year. I do have 6 batteries and keep one in my jersey pocket after about a week of riding. If I have to replace some batteries over time so be it since what do you not have that eventually you have replace batteries that power devices. I have never had a battery use up it's charge while riding. eTap 11 speed works great! At this point I will keep using it until everything I have does wear out.

I do have Sram Eagle XX1 shifter and rear derailleur on my fat bike. Same as above, it just works and works well. I just returned from a 3 day MTB, I use my fat to MTB since it works so well on the trail. I did have a spare battery with and I did have a couple of hours on it before leaving, and it lasted the whole trip and still has juice left.

While I have not ridden Sram Red AXS road groupo I don't see how it can get any better,

cschultz

by cschultz

I just bought most of a Force AXS group, so there will probably be an announcement about AXSv2 this summer 😂😭

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

They should just copy 9200 with the better Quarq PM and cranks and I am happy
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

gSporco

by gSporco

Most likely nothing will happen in 2022... If and when something happens it will also most likely be backwards compatible with AXS 12 speed. Why do I think this?
Rival AXS is still relatively new, the new AXS wireless blips have just been released and still nearly impossible to find stock or anything AXS for that matter.

What is more likely is that RED/ Force will get a facelift: Lighter levers that are smaller and no longer have blip ports. A new Quarq PM spider for 9200/8100 Shimano..

So its more likely we will see anything wired to AXS (blips, TT, Blip boxes etc..) will go away and not be supported under the redesign..

This is just me, thinking outside of the box with the info that I/we have..
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

I haven't been keeping up with when new AXS is coming out, but I came across this. Is this new Sram Force or am I missing something? Or just different graphics?
72CA11CC-AA95-44F3-89F1-6B25F97FEE4A.png
95DC9956-823D-47A8-A417-BAD616ED1294.png
52D3A30E-8FEA-4361-831C-03A4BC3C512A.png
Scott Addict RC 20 2021
Ridley Kanzo Adventure 2022

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

Oh ok. Now I see the other thread. I searched on google and nothing came up, but should have checked here first.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021
Ridley Kanzo Adventure 2022

rollinslow

by rollinslow

Now that Force has been updated, are we going to see a Red AXS update in 2023? Haven't seen much info anywhere about this.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

rollinslow wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:24 pm
Now that Force has been updated, are we going to see a Red AXS update in 2023? Haven't seen much info anywhere about this.
Probably, i emailed Sram regarding rim brake options. But they advised me towards current RED, so my guess is they ditch rim brakes with new RED.
Also guess, by the email that it's not far too far away.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

RDY

by RDY

It should be soon, but judging by new 'Transmission' on the MTB side, we're not going to like the pricing. €1250 1X PM cranksets ... that's a gigantic increase over 1X or 2X PM Red or current XX. Hopefully nowhere near as proprietary.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jadedaid

by jadedaid

Wasn't the MSRP on Red AXS PM cranksets (incl. chainrings) north of 1300 EUR already?