Bottle cages

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MrRolandos

by MrRolandos

For my new bike I need new holders,
I'm debating between
- Arundel Mandible
- Tune Wasserträger 2.0
- Black inc bottle cages

I need to put my camelbak podium's 710ml in there, anyone got any tips? Or perhaps another option?

Prippo

by Prippo

MrRolandos wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 7:36 pm
I'm debating between
- Arundel Mandible
- Tune Wasserträger 2.0
- Black inc bottle cages

I need to put my camelbak podium's 710ml in there, anyone got any tips? Or perhaps another option?
I cant comment on the other cages but I have been using the Wasserträger 2.0 with Podium's for the past year and for me it has worked perfectly. The fit feels really secure while still being easy to get the bottle in/out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jdecraene85

by jdecraene85

MrRolandos wrote:
I'm debating between
- Arundel Mandible
- Tune Wasserträger 2.0
- Black inc bottle cages

I love my Tune Wasserträgers, they're on every bike I have now, but I heard they don't play nicely with Camelbak Podium bottles specifically. So those are probably out of the equation, if those bottles are really a must. They work great with Specialized Purist type bottles though, and I think Elite too.

I have had a couple of Arundel Mandibles too. Nice design, but I found them a bit too tight.

No experience with the Black Inc bottle cages.

The Wasserträgers are that great that I would just chose those and switch bottles to Specialized Purist! Great minimalistic design, one of the lightest on the market, they don't break because they're flexible and I never lost a bottle (not even on the cobbles here I'm Belgium).

jch3n

by jch3n

I had an old XXX clone crap out on me recently (one of the screw holes basically started disintegrating). It also felt a bit dicey using it with big 1L Zefal Magnum bottles. So I'm trading some weight for reliability and ordered a set of Tacx Ciro cages to try. I have Tacx Devas on a different bike and have been very happy with them.

poulhansen

by poulhansen

I have a Primus Thermocup, that is a bit too big for a standard bottle cage and doesn't have a groove but I have stuck a strip of friction tape on it, exactly where it meets the top of the bottle cage and now the bottle stays.

This way you can probably use any cage you fancy.

The tape is originally intended to be used on boat decks or stairs.
Cannondale Super Six HiMod 2017 6.7 kg
Cannondale six13, 2004, 5.50kg
Focus Izalco Max, 2023 4.418 kg

otnemem

by otnemem

jdecraene85 wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 9:22 pm
I love my Tune Wasserträgers, they're on every bike I have now,
Very happy with those, matched to Syncros Corporate. Very secure, maybe a tad too secure for pure road.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

MrRolandos wrote:
I'm debating between
- Arundel Mandible
- Tune Wasserträger 2.0
- Black inc bottle cages

If you're looking for retention, you won't get better than the Mandibles. I use Arundel Dave-O cages with my Camelbak bottles and they hold them just fine. I found the Mandibles had too strong a hold on the Camelbaks. I can't fathom how some folks feel that Mandibles aren't sufficient.

bobones

by bobones

I was out for a ride this moring on a bike with mandibles using a 710 ml podium. The bottle needs a firm grip and a fairly strong pull to remove it (I actually missed a pull because my grip was too loose and my hand slipped off), and reinsertion requires placing bottle at the cage opening and firmly pushing down: gravity alone will not put the bottle in place. To be fair, it's not too bad, but I think it could be a bit annoying if you're tired and working hard. On the upside, you're definitely not going to lose a bottle on bumpy ground and they're not going to rattle about in the cage noisily (which is why I replaced my Elite Vicos with these).

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

bobones wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 11:28 am
I was out for a ride this moring on a bike with mandibles using a 710 ml podium. The bottle needs a firm grip and a fairly strong pull to remove it (I actually missed a pull because my grip was too loose and my hand slipped off), and reinsertion requires placing bottle at the cage opening and firmly pushing down: gravity alone will not put the bottle in place. To be fair, it's not too bad, but I think it could be a bit annoying if you're tired and working hard. On the upside, you're definitely not going to lose a bottle on bumpy ground and they're not going to rattle about in the cage noisily (which is why I replaced my Elite Vicos with these).
Have you tried the Dave-O's?

bobones

by bobones

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 11:44 am
No, and at £116 for a bottle cage, I think I'll be passing! :mrgreen:

But yes, this post suggests Dave-Os are the ones to get for podiums.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Where the heck did you see that price quick google and places way cheaper.

Basso Diamante eps 12

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 10:25 am

If you're looking for retention, you won't get better than the Mandibles. I use Arundel Dave-O cages with my Camelbak bottles and they hold them just fine. I found the Mandibles had too strong a hold on the Camelbaks. I can't fathom how some folks feel that Mandibles aren't sufficient.
Lost bottles in two races last year with Mandibles. I don’t really blame the cages though, just the nature of racing on roads that haven’t been resurfaced since Gerald Ford was US President. I bought a pair of Bontrager Bat cages and 3M Safety-Walk grip tape for our “spring classics” though.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

bobones wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 11:54 am
BdaGhisallo wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 11:44 am
No, and at £116 for a bottle cage, I think I'll be passing! :mrgreen:

But yes, this post suggests Dave-Os are the ones to get for podiums.
Whoa! They go for the equivalent of about GBP 56 in the US.

bobones

by bobones

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 12:35 pm
Where the heck did you see that price quick google and places way cheaper.

Basso Diamante eps 12
Google! It was the only sponsored uk link with a Dave-O

Screenshot 2023-05-03 140216.png
Screenshot 2023-05-03 140216.png (94.16 KiB) Viewed 669 times

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

https://r2-bike.com/ARUNDEL-Trinkflasch ... andible_14

Bought stuff from them before delivered to uk no problems Image

Basso Diamante eps 12

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components