Bottle cages

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

req110

by req110

bluebottle81 wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:15 am
alanyu wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:33 pm
My chinese XXX copy only cost 10 usd including shipping, so the same price as Elite/Tacx you mentioned, but it saves 14 gr.
I use these too after another similar thread on this forum. Zero issues so far, XXX is a great design and this is one case where cheap Chinese as good as name brand I reckon
I have one older style xxx original and newer style xxx replica. Damn, the new replica is 100% ok. Good build quality and price was like 17 usd. One of only few Chinese products I would purchase again.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

biglmbass

by biglmbass

jfranci3 wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:16 pm
Elite and Tacx sell 30gr fiber-reinforeced cages for $10 in every color. Speed the $70/cage on something else.
Have had good luck w/ Tacx Ciro & Deva cages, but they're closer to $20-24 each now. Have also had good luck w' Elite Rocko Carbon cages when a sideloader cage is preferred & necessary on a smaller/more compact bike frame.

dgdracing

by dgdracing

I ride the Carbone/Voxom since 2019, I met the inventor and producer in Mallorca and there was a small workshop where we could build our own bottle cages. They are really good, never had a bottle dropped (using Elite Fly 950) even in rougher conditions. Of course, on crashes/misuses they are fragile but for the inteded purpose there is nothing better on the market - the construction with one long "line" of carbon fiber without molding is just awesome :)

ipenguinking

by ipenguinking

Any recommendation of spacers to clear the FD clamp? I'm looking for something that looks better than those from Problem Solvers.

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

Interesting! I'd be curious about something like rubberized spacers not just for clearance, but to reduce noise over bumpy roads.

bobones

by bobones

MrRolandos wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:39 am
Does anyone know if arundel mandible work with 710ml camelback bottles? I heard they tight, but not sure how tight.
They're very tight and need pulled out and pushed back with a fair amount of force. Bottles are slightly distorted when in the cage, but they don't end up permantently damaged like Elite Fly bottles do. I prefer a slightly looser fit and less effort for removal/insertion, but it's not a show stopper.

Just to add to the thread: I am very happy with Bontrager Elite cages: cheap, composite construction, look good, not too heavy, and hold bottles well.

mikemelbrooks

by mikemelbrooks

ipenguinking wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:16 pm
Any recommendation of spacers to clear the FD clamp? I'm looking for something that looks better than those from Problem Solvers.
You could ask your local bike shop for some Shimano rear disc brake caliper spacers some thing like this.
https://www.bikeparts.co.uk/products/a2 ... _gEALw_wcB

mikemelbrooks

by mikemelbrooks

twoangstroms wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:38 pm
Interesting! I'd be curious about something like rubberized spacers not just for clearance, but to reduce noise over bumpy roads.
I have had success heating carbon cages in very hot water and squeezing them to stop any bottles rattling.

poulhansen

by poulhansen

Here is one I just got with a trackbike!!

Cannondale Super Six HiMod 2017 6.7 kg
Cannondale six13, 2004, 5.50kg
Focus Izalco Max, 2023 4.418 kg

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

twoangstroms wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:38 pm
Faucet washers or o-rings would probably do the trick.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Interesting that a few members have zero problems buying counterfeit products.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk

Never cheer before you know who is winning

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

We discussed this as moderators a while back and dont endorse any conversations around fake products if anyone sees anything please flag and one of the mods will deal with it

Basso Diamante eps 12

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

mikemelbrooks

by mikemelbrooks

wheelbuilder wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 5:25 am

A Interesting comment. I looked up Counterfeit
Adjective
Made in exact imitation of something valuable with the intention to deceive or defraud.
I went to a local Van Gough exposition and they were selling Van Gough prints. Now does anyone think of them as counterfeit? Does anyone buy a cage from China think they are getting the genuine item? Who is being deceived? Are there patents on bottle cages? If I remove logos/ or buy unbranded copy's who is being defrauded?

poulhansen

by poulhansen

mikemelbrooks wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 9:19 am
wheelbuilder wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 5:25 am

A Interesting comment. I looked up Counterfeit
Adjective
Made in exact imitation of something valuable with the intention to deceive or defraud.
I went to a local Van Gough exposition and they were selling Van Gough prints. Now does anyone think of them as counterfeit? Does anyone buy a cage from China think they are getting the genuine item? Who is being deceived? Are there patents on bottle cages? If I remove logos/ or buy unbranded copy's who is being defrauded?
Yes it's a strange discussion. A guy buying a 50 $ Rolex is not deceiving anyone and Rolex doesn't loose a cent, as that guy would never buy a 5000$ genuine Rolex anyway.
What Rolex looses is a bit of the exclusivity that allows them to take silly 5000$ for a watch, they can make for 100$(who is deceiving who?), the same with bottle cages.

If you buy a cage for 15$ on Ali, it's because you don't want to use 100$ on a Lightweight cage. Funnily the Ali cage weighs exactly as much or little as the Lightweight. This is not because they put a false name on it but because even a "copyist" in China, can master the manufactoring process but at a fraction of the cost of an original.
Again Lightweight don't loose money. The buyer might be deceived, if it's marked "Lightweight" but then he didn't really think: 15$ for an original from China?? Come on!!
Cannondale Super Six HiMod 2017 6.7 kg
Cannondale six13, 2004, 5.50kg
Focus Izalco Max, 2023 4.418 kg

Lina

by Lina

Yeah bottle cages that look similar, but aren't even branded and marketed as the "original" product doesn't count as counterfeiting to me. It's more like complaining about the dozens of Rolex homages made by all the watch manufacturers. There's only so many ways you can design a watch or a bottle cage. Some design elements will be reused and "stolen" by others. No one on the market for a $500 Rolex homage or a $15 ali bottle cage is the market for the real Rolex or a $100 bottle cage the ali one is based upon. As long as they're not branding and selling them as something they're not it's fine.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com