Bottle cages

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I still use tune wassertrager unis from 10 years ago on my daily ride. I found mandibles too tight.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

PoorCyclist wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 7:46 pm
Flasher wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 4:35 pm
Tacx Ciro, 1gm heavier than the Mandible carbon and 1/5 of the price, race proven with zero rattle.

These holds the bottle crazy tight.. have to stop and get off the bike to get the bottle.
I've used these Ciros with Tacx, Specialized, Trek and Elite bottles (all uninsulated) and not had any difficulty getting them in or out with one hand, while riding. They do grip well and are quite light for the price! I suspect the stiffness/shape of the bottle makes a difference. I also have (genuine) Bontrager XXX holders on another bike that cost a lot more, weight a very little less, but also hold my bottles very well.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I went from Blackburn Cinch to Bontrager XXX/RSL to Bontrager Pro to Arundel Mandibles. Over here, ejected bottles at race pace are simply a common occurrence. You can mitigate them with gear choices, but I expect even my Mandibles will lose bottles on occasion.

Bottle choice and contents do matter. Traditionally shaped bottles with obvious necks work in conjunction with cages that have obvious retention tabs. Podium 2.0 and even 3.0 bottles aren’t great. Tacx, Elite and SiS bottles also don’t have a proper necked-down shape. If you’ve frozen a bottle solid for a hot ride, the solid ice won’t damp out bumps and the bottle will be more likely to eject. A larger, fuller bottle with also be more likely to eject.

Cannoli

by Cannoli

I like the Elite Leggero Carbon for weight and looks. Haven't had any issues with bottle loss on the rough stuff.

Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Cannoli wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 12:28 am
I like the Elite Leggero Carbon for weight and looks. Haven't had any issues with bottle loss on the rough stuff.

Looks pretty good for retention purposes. The "full loop" style cages generally hold bottles better than the two-sided ones (Mandibles excepted.)

Aeo

by Aeo

Tune Wasserträger 2.0
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

biglmbass

by biglmbass

Cannoli wrote:

Assume these work well & grip just a good with Specialized bottles, vs Tacx bottles? I like & use Tacx Deva & Cirro, but am looking to try something w' a different look.

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

Cannoli wrote:

I like the looks of these and ordered these but did feel like they grip the bottles too well.
I had them temporarily installed on a chinese carbon frame and returned them because I was afraid I might loosen the bottle cage threads in the frame due to the constant stress.

wolflikeme

by wolflikeme

Have been using the Sworks Ribcage III for a few years with no issues. Pretty light at ~24g.

Sworks Tarmac SL8 - 7.09kg
LS Ultimate (7.89kg), Tarmac SL7 (7.56kg), Aethos (7.00kg), Venge (7.59 kg), Roubaix Team (7.53 kg) - Sold

warthog101

by warthog101

These goers hold your bottles very tightly.
If that is important then highly recommended.

The local Giant shop chucked a couple on my Revolt gravelly.
No way they are getting jolted out over bumps.
I use Elite custom race on the roadies. Good to use and easy to get the bottles out of but not as secure as the Giant goers.

Cannoli

by Cannoli

biglmbass wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:40 pm
Cannoli wrote:

Assume these work well & grip just a good with Specialized bottles, vs Tacx bottles? I like & use Tacx Deva & Cirro, but am looking to try something w' a different look.
I haven't had any grip problems at all. They work well with Camelbak and Elite bottles without issue. Even hold well with generic bottles of various shapes.
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

micky

by micky

Still using some old BTP which weight 13 gramms.

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

Only here to offer experiences with limited selection, just to build out in case someone wants to make a database.

Arundel Dave-Os have been super solid and usable on both road and gravel, even when the terrain shook me so much my glasses flew off my face (Rx glasses, so I had to go bike back up to find them and was lucky to!).

Now a Zipp rider, so using the SL Speed Carbon Bottle Cage cages with feel more flexible to the touch but so far have been unimpeachable (and 18g).

BenCousins

by BenCousins

tiz92 wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 4:51 pm
Leggero Carbon from Elite: 17gr, never lost a bottle and I race in bad conditions.
This is what I just bought.

wooger

by wooger

If you're not disgusted by a Decathlon store sub-brand on your cages, the Van Rysel carbon cages are 28g, have never dropped a (750ml) bottle for me including on cobbles, and look decent.

Also 1/4 the price of other options at least for anyone in Europe.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/900-road- ... /_/R-p-991

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com