OSPW For Shimano 12sp

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Vincentsmoox

by Vincentsmoox

vd91 wrote:
Vincentsmoox wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 4:05 pm
vd91 wrote:I had a Nova Ride one for a week and neither I or my mechanic friend could get the shifting as good as stock. Sold it on eBay. Shame cos it looked ace.
On Shimano or SRAM?
Did you make sure you buy gen 2 instead gen 1?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It was on a SRAM Force AXS groupset and it was gen 2, purchased directly a few weeks ago. It seemed a decent piece really so it was a shame we couldn't get it set up properly.
Oh i see, i have red axs and considered to buy Nova ride too for them but still not sure i need them because the Stock pulley wheel roll very nicely

But Thanks for the info

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Vincentsmoox

by Vincentsmoox

cberg wrote:I use C-Bear OCM pulley wheels. Feels nicer than stock Shimano and fits in the original cage unlike OSPW :)
Yes Thats a New. Actually i use tripeak oversize pulley wheel too take from my old 11sp di2

They doesnt compatible with Shimano 12sp chain but work well with kmc 12sp dlc

I curious about ospw perform besides the cool look they have

Vincentsmoox

by Vincentsmoox

Ok im ended with ceramic speed non coated with kmc dlc 12sp chain

And apparently this combo make my drive train more silent and smooth shifting, which I desperate to setup

Great product

EsotericCyclist

by EsotericCyclist

I've had a couple Kogel and SLF motion. Keep in mind that they're pretty much for looks with maybe a little better efficiency. I prefer the look of the SLF motion.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Yoln wrote:Am I the only one who assumes that anyone who has OSPW is yet another easily fooled by marketing person who is trying too hard to get "faster"?

It's been proven so many times in so many articles / threads / videos that they have negligible if any benefits in friction. And are actually creating aero drag...

Next
No you're definitely not the only one, but I'll like to think that narrow-minded people like you are rare. Did you come here just to shit on this thread without reading the responses above? Many of us (including myself) acknowledged that the gains if any are marginal, but it is a nice looking piece of bike jewelry. It's fine if you don't go for that, just head over to slowtwitch and spend your time talking aero there.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Mirco

by Mirco

I am also interested in an OSPW but struggling with the brand. Ceramic Speed and SLF are between 450-530,- EUR. NovaRide 250,- EUR. I would like to install it on an Sram Force Wide AXS derailleur. But which One will be the best regarding shifting. I do not look for any watt savings. Ceramic Speed is available in Germany at r2bike and bike24, NovaRide direct and SLF, I do not know?

Vincentsmoox

by Vincentsmoox

Yoln wrote:Am I the only one who assumes that anyone who has OSPW is yet another easily fooled by marketing person who is trying too hard to get "faster"?

It's been proven so many times in so many articles / threads / videos that they have negligible if any benefits in friction. And are actually creating aero drag...

Next
Yep I don’t look ospw for make me faster, I just look for shifting performance (which really improve in my case) and better look

Aero thing I don’t care since im not that fast to feel any marginal aero drag

blaugrana

by blaugrana

It is also worth noting that as we move to more efficient chain lubes, particularly immersion wax, the benefits (if any) of OSPW become smaller. If friction losses on the chain are reduced, there is less to save by making these sharp angles wider. Essentially you can't save the same watt twice.

MagicShite

by MagicShite

Yoln wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 1:14 am
Am I the only one who assumes that anyone who has OSPW is yet another easily fooled by marketing person who is trying too hard to get "faster"?

Next
the margins are fat AF.

I'd rather sell these than any other stuffs if I were running a bike shop.

I see no reason for shops to not fully swallow the full meme of OSPW.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

OSPWs are definitely a Fashion Statement first and a gain second. There are gains to be had as pointed out above, but far too many people run factory grease on their chain and then splash the cash on an OSPW.
Their is definitely misinformation in both directions (for and against) going on. The truth probably is, that if you want one, get one, if not, don't.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

MagicShite

by MagicShite

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 7:47 am
OSPWs are definitely a Fashion Statement first and a gain second. There are gains to be had as pointed out above, but far too many people run factory grease on their chain and then splash the cash on an OSPW.
Their is definitely misinformation in both directions (for and against) going on. The truth probably is, that if you want one, get one, if not, don't.
Sorry for the potential derailment of topic, but...

The Fashion statement in particular has become quite cancerous in our community in South East Asia. (For example, the state of Selangor of Malaysia is filled with such cancer from where I'm from)

<insert cycling used to be good, then someone shouts "it was never goodddd" meme>

Everything has devolved into a yuppie "you have to ride swerks, getPeeAndAss, Ralpha jerseys" to fit in otherwise you're shit and a terrible rider. It doesn't even matter anymore if the stuff is legit good or not. It's all just memes now.

People would even buy crappy non-fitting, shift like crap third party OSPW from other nonsense brands so they could look cool. How many people even realized Shimano shadow cages are purposely offset bent to improve chainline and shifting, but yet non of these third party ospw systems have this beautiful feature included?

Sorry for coming across more as a rant, but I must say I personally feel OSPW is anti-weightweenism. Seems like we have gone backwards even harder.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Agree with many of the things.
I am just obsessed with marginal gains and that's part of the hobby for me. I like getting my chain waxing on point, obsess about rolling resistance, clean my bearing very regularly, ride around with aero socks and skin suit on training rides etc.
It's stupid, I know, but that's what the hobby is for me (at least partly).

Re: weightweenieism.
I am a weightweenie, I weigh all the stuff I buy, I care about my own weight probably more than necessary, and I like the bling of Extralite, Darimo, Schmolke and THM.
However, while weightweenieism is the marginal gain that is easiest to measure (no power meter involved like with drive train efficiency, and no wind tunnel or velodrome needed like with aero), it also is the most marginal of them all.

A fairly light male cyclist (65kg, naked body weight) riding an Allez Sprint (8.5kg), clothing, shoes, accessories (1kg) and a bottle with water and spares (1.5kg) -> System Weight: 76kg
With very high FTP (325W // 5Wkg)
Can save 2.5kg by going to a mega light Aethos (insert other WW bike).
If our cyclist in question now rips up Alpe d'Huez at FTP, he Stands to gain around a 9W advantage (considering a 98% drivetrain efficiency and 85% of effort needed to overcome gravity, not wind resistance). That's a 2.8% total energy saving.
For everyone who doesn't live in Le Bourg d'Oisans or Bedoin, that's not the most common of rides. On every other type of riding, hilly, undulating, flat, the gain is significantly less.

Choosing a slow tire (Schwalbe Pro One TLE) vs a super fast tire (Specialized Turbo Cotton with latex inners) ((8W difference)) , using factory grease vs a immersion waxed chain (around 5W at 250W, much more when contamination comes into play), or riding in bibs and jersey and socks vs a road skin suit and aero socks (5 Watts at least, with most Ill-fitting jerseys I see, probably 10W+) you'll lose that all the time. Always!
Yet, people (myself included) obsess about weight based on bro-facts (*the hills is where races are won* *light weight bikes just accelerate so much better*), leaving dozens of watts on the table else where, just because they are more difficult to measure/ quantify. Training obviously being by far the biggest factor here.

So maybe that's my rant, to completely derail this topic. Weightweenieism is fine, but it's just one of those very marginal gains. Just like OSPW, and aero handlebars.

If you just like the look and feel of light stuff, and the hobby of weight obsession, that's cool. Don't we all?
Just pointing out that it might be just as futile as the stuff this (and others) forum(a) tends to look down on.
Last edited by FlatlandClimber on Mon May 09, 2022 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Agree with the above.

In reality, there's two markets for such boujee products.

1) Performace cyclists that understand mechaincs and want the very best components even if for just a 0.1w gain (albeit, the OSPW also makes the bikes quieter and feels like much more a performace gain than tested). Ride in skinsuits, aero position, immaculate drivechain, giving away nothing.

2) Cyclists who look up to the performance cyclists and want what they have even though their training ethics and goals are completely different. Ride around in huge groups showing off thier immaculate kit on a fully pimped bike, sitting bolt upright with 60mm of spacers under their S-Works stem. FTP sub 250w.

Having bought my first OSPW around 5 years ago, I've never owned a road bike without one. For me, they're too good not to have on every bike.
400w FTP / 82kg / 4.88wkg (pre-baby) :lol:

I'll never tell any one they MUST have one, but if wanting the best, 0.1w is 0.1w...
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

Mirco

by Mirco

So, which is now the best one concerning shifting on a Sram Force/Red AXS.

A short answer will be enough, instead of a long story about watt savings or not.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Mirco wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 11:53 am
So, which is now the best one concerning shifting on a Sram Force/Red AXS.

A short answer will be enough, instead of a long story about watt savings or not.
The Ceramic speed and stock one shift equally good for me.

But Mr Rhino will definitely have a larger sample size here.
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg