OSPW For Shimano 12sp

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Vincentsmoox

by Vincentsmoox

Any OSPW recommendations for shimano 12sp?
I think about nova ride since the price is good than ceramic speed

But I don’t mind ceramic speed too if they perform better

PS: is ospw actually have good effect or just good looking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knightyboy27

by Knightyboy27

It has a negligible effect, so just go for the one that looks best to you.

Kogel have an offering that let's you customize the colour of various parts!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Vincentsmoox

by Vincentsmoox

Knightyboy27 wrote:It has a negligible effect, so just go for the one that looks best to you.

I see so it’s more look than performance. How about shifting quality? Better or degrade with ospw than original cage?

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

The CeramicSpeed ones work perfectly. There is some gain to be had from lower friction bearings, low chain articulation and potentially lower chain tension.
However, they need more maintenance, a little tougher to set up and don't fit every bike bag.
But I love the looks.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

Ritxis

by Ritxis

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:57 pm
The CeramicSpeed ones work perfectly. There is some gain to be had from lower friction bearings, low chain articulation and potentially lower chain tension.
However, they need more maintenance, a little tougher to set up and don't fit every bike bag.
But I love the looks.
and it is forgotten that the chain has more points of contact (more friction??) by having larger pulleys

tiz92

by tiz92

The 0.3 W you gain with the bigger pulley you may loose in aero and weight. But I have also KCNC OSPW because I like the looks. So go for the looks.

Ritxis

by Ritxis

tiz92 wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:39 pm
The 0.3 W you gain with the bigger pulley you may loose in aero and weight. But I have also KCNC OSPW because I like the looks. So go for the looks.
and the presumed gain of the pulley (bearing) is not lost because the chain has more points of contact??? not to mention that the chain is not "working" since it leaves the chainring... its "work" is when it pulls the cassette cogs

kode54

by kode54

Knightyboy27 wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:14 pm
It has a negligible effect, so just go for the one that looks best to you.

I like the Kogel OSPW since you can customize every bit of it...like bolts, cage, pulleys. Don't see or feel much difference...possibly a bit crisper shifting?
I went for aesthetics over performance.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

More points of contact are more friction? Sorry guys, but that doesn't seem at all sensible. That would mean a large chairing large cog would be higher friction.
The problem with chain friction on the rings is, that it doesn't evenly distribute over the entire ring, but mostly on the first few teeth. The smaller the pulley, Cog, ring, the smaller the wrap around angle. That puts ever higher tension on the first tooth, which is the worst case for chain friction.
The aero part has never been varified by external sources, has it?
The derailleur cages are equal in length (5 inches from attachment to hanger to lowest point), so the frontal area they pose should be about equal as well. Also, the wheels spin slowly (as compared to your actual wheels), don't seem much drag being generated there.
Re: weight:
How much saving is that? 10g?
It is a marginal gain all in all, just like larger chainring larger cog is a marginal gain. But it is a gain.
As confirmed by Josh from Silca and Adam Kerin from ZFC.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

tiz92

by tiz92

Ok then it is a marginal gain. Whatever. I have put it on for aestatics. If I gain 0.5W even better. If not its also okay. I just wouldnt spend 500€ on Ceramicspeed or even 200€ on Kogel or what the price is (personally) but then its a hobby and yes everyone can do what they want :D

CGT

by CGT

Just don't buy the AbsoluteCrap one!

vd91

by vd91

I had a Nova Ride one for a week and neither I or my mechanic friend could get the shifting as good as stock. Sold it on eBay. Shame cos it looked ace.

Vincentsmoox

by Vincentsmoox

vd91 wrote:I had a Nova Ride one for a week and neither I or my mechanic friend could get the shifting as good as stock. Sold it on eBay. Shame cos it looked ace.
On Shimano or SRAM?
Did you make sure you buy gen 2 instead gen 1?

vd91

by vd91

Vincentsmoox wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 4:05 pm
vd91 wrote:I had a Nova Ride one for a week and neither I or my mechanic friend could get the shifting as good as stock. Sold it on eBay. Shame cos it looked ace.
On Shimano or SRAM?
Did you make sure you buy gen 2 instead gen 1?

It was on a SRAM Force AXS groupset and it was gen 2, purchased directly a few weeks ago. It seemed a decent piece really so it was a shame we couldn't get it set up properly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cberg

by cberg

I use C-Bear OCM pulley wheels. Feels nicer than stock Shimano and fits in the original cage unlike OSPW :)