Colnago C68

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

zero71 wrote:
mgrl wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:39 pm

Is it? Here in the UK the C68 frameset is 14% more expensive than the S-Works Tarmac frameset
Yeah, but you don't have to pay the rip-off uk price. Last year I bought my C64 Disc with the internal routing stem setup from Cicli Corsa for about £2k less than Sigmasports wanted for the same frame. And that was after shipping and taxes/duty. It was way less than an S-Works. The UK distributor has put a big markup on these vs the rest of Europe.
The mark up isn’t any bigger than any other distributor. What has changed is duty is payable on the Colnago but nothing has changed for Specialized’s status.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karvalo

by Karvalo

ultimobici wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:59 am
zero71 wrote:
mgrl wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:39 pm

Is it? Here in the UK the C68 frameset is 14% more expensive than the S-Works Tarmac frameset
Yeah, but you don't have to pay the rip-off uk price. Last year I bought my C64 Disc with the internal routing stem setup from Cicli Corsa for about £2k less than Sigmasports wanted for the same frame. And that was after shipping and taxes/duty. It was way less than an S-Works. The UK distributor has put a big markup on these vs the rest of Europe.
The mark up isn’t any bigger than any other distributor. What has changed is duty is payable on the Colnago but nothing has changed for Specialized’s status.
I don't know what the importer's margin is but retailer margin on frame and particularly complete bike prices from Colnago is definitely on the low end of standard.

The problem with comparing UK to European prices in 2021 is the very different effects of Covid on the market. For reference the current CicliCorsa C68 frame price is only £500 less than UK price before shipping/duty is added. £2k less for a C64 frame last year is a stock clearance price. In the UK that would be selling for a significant loss, for them maybe it was at break even and they just needed to turn overstock into cash flow. It's really not a fair comparison.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zero71

by zero71

At the time I bought mine, the c68 wasn't announced, I wasn't buying last years model. The Cicli Corsa price was miles cheaper than buying in the UK. It wasn't £500 cheaper. It was significant. And it came with the integrated stem, the UK wanted to charge even more for the integrated frame and stem option. My frameset was a build to order, not clearance stock - I waited about 5 months to get it, ordering around May last year. Pricing on other brands, like S Works and Bianchi were about the same between the UK and EU, but not the Colnago. Frames coming in from Europe that are built in Europe even carry less duty than Frames coming from outside the EU like the S-Works, so it's not the case that a Colnago carries more tax implications than an S Works, it carries less.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

zero71 wrote:At the time I bought mine, the c68 wasn't announced, I wasn't buying last years model. The Cicli Corsa price was miles cheaper than buying in the UK. It wasn't £500 cheaper. It was significant. And it came with the integrated stem, the UK wanted to charge even more for the integrated frame and stem option. My frameset was a build to order, not clearance stock - I waited about 5 months to get it, ordering around May last year. Pricing on other brands, like S Works and Bianchi were about the same between the UK and EU, but not the Colnago. Frames coming in from Europe that are built in Europe even carry less duty than Frames coming from outside the EU like the S-Works, so it's not the case that a Colnago carries more tax implications than an S Works, it carries less.
On the contrary, Brexit has made frame from the EU more expensive than they were pre-Brexit, so the Colnago frames have gone up by 14% relative to the Specialized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karvalo

by Karvalo

zero71 wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:10 pm
At the time I bought mine, the c68 wasn't announced, I wasn't buying last years model. The Cicli Corsa price was miles cheaper than buying in the UK. It wasn't £500 cheaper.
And yet, right now, the same C68 frame is only £500 cheaper at CicliCorsa than in the uk, before import is considered. So again, if you paid £2000 less than UK price for a C64 last year then they weren't making any money on it.
Frames coming in from Europe that are built in Europe even carry less duty than Frames coming from outside the EU like the S-Works, so it's not the case that a Colnago carries more tax implications than an S Works, it carries less.
You've misunderstood the effect of Brexit. Things from the rest of the world cost the same as they did before. Things from Europe cost more.

zero71

by zero71

I paid under £3500 for the integrated frame and stem including all taxes. I see the C68 does appear much more expensive. I should have checked that before posting. That's a huge price increase since last year.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:22 am
I don't get why they have departed from the typical Colnago geometry!?
This bike is both longer and lower, how will that go well for those typical Colnago riders?
If it's not designed as a typical race bike then it seems like the new owner have done a mistake.
An aggressive stock geo makes it easier for bike shop fitters to upsell the Ti custom option to fat bankers

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Zakalwe wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:37 am
wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:22 am
I don't get why they have departed from the typical Colnago geometry!?
This bike is both longer and lower, how will that go well for those typical Colnago riders?
If it's not designed as a typical race bike then it seems like the new owner have done a mistake.
An aggressive stock geo makes it easier for bike shop fitters to upsell the Ti custom option to fat bankers
Ha ha, well i am sorry! I haven't noticed that this version was offered as a custom size version.

Stock V3R(S) as an example (size 52S) is 560mm stack / 384mm reach.
However, i wonder what stack the dust cap/ headset top cap has in terms of stack?
Or to be clear, what is actually a must have on top of the specificed stack?
Anyone?
I also wonder if the forthcoming V4R (seems V4RS is held for the future) will be in C68 sizing or V3R sizing?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

GaBa

by GaBa

Any idea when rim brake model is coming? Or all road? I had in mind it should be late 2022 but I guess not.

Campyforever

by Campyforever

The word from the US arm of Colnago is that there never will be a rim brake version....

Something like only 100 requests last year which does not make financial sense for the
tooling..... C-64 was your last chance

micky

by micky

That's why Pinarello doesn't offer the F in rim version.

GaBa

by GaBa

Are you sure? On their website both options are still available. Maybe you can't order one though but then I don't understand why they would advertise rim option?

Campyforever

by Campyforever

Micky wrong...

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

micky wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:22 am
That's why Pinarello doesn't offer the F in rim version.

rimpina.jpg
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

micky

by micky

Apparently I wasn't being sarcastic enough.
Yes my fingers are still crossed for a rim version.