Trek Domane 2023

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

BenSiskri wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:27 pm
I'm always surprised we don't see more GRX rear mechs used in CX; and it would seem a 'no-brainer' to use in a race like PR.....
Or at least that Ultegra rd that has a clutch. And maybe not just for Paris Roubaix, so many dropped chains throughout the classics.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

Mr.Gib wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:25 pm
BenSiskri wrote:
I'm always surprised we don't see more GRX rear mechs used in CX; and it would seem a 'no-brainer' to use in a race like PR.....
Or at least that Ultegra rd that has a clutch. And maybe not just for Paris Roubaix, so many dropped chains throughout the classics.
I run the Ultegra RX derailleur on my CX/gravel bike and it's been great. 1x for CX, 2x for gravel and never drops a chain.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hannawald

by hannawald

Not sure it has been discussed here before - this is the Tour Magazin test of the Domane SLR.
https://www.tour-magazin.de/rennraeder/ ... ane-slr-7/

Frame weight is quite nice below 1100g. Despite massively looking tube shapes BB stiffness very low. Overall they say it is not noticeably more lively then previous geneation. Other aspects seems quite good. How do you rate the climbing capability of the Domane? Any endurance bike better in this regard?

cpac54

by cpac54

Does anyone have actual frame/fork weights for the Domane SLR version (size 54 ideally, but any size would do just to have a reference).

hannawald

by hannawald

cpac54 wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:08 pm
Does anyone have actual frame/fork weights for the Domane SLR version (size 54 ideally, but any size would do just to have a reference).
You will find the numbers in this article, not bad:

RDY

by RDY

hannawald wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 4:08 pm
Not sure it has been discussed here before - this is the Tour Magazin test of the Domane SLR.

Frame weight is quite nice below 1100g. Despite massively looking tube shapes BB stiffness very low. Overall they say it is not noticeably more lively then previous geneation. Other aspects seems quite good. How do you rate the climbing capability of the Domane? Any endurance bike better in this regard?

It's a threaded alu insert bonded into a carbon frame. It's never going to be as stiff as a properly toleranced, stiff press fit frame. One of the many reasons why they're a shit idea. Unfortunately the industry has decided they're to be the new snake oil.

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Proud owner of the previous version but using mine as a Gravel bike. Current set up is around 18.5lbs max at a size 50. The Isospeed does help a ton on gravel and thankful I have it

Nice to see there's some interest here

Cannoli

by Cannoli

The Domane makes an excellent gravel bike. Add a RedShift stem and some 38mm tires, and its super plush on the bumpy stuff.
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

sigma

by sigma

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:26 am
sigma wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:23 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:18 am
Build done.
Looks terrific. Which wheels and bar did you go with? Saw one in person recently and the paint job alone almost got me.

Light Bicycle WR50 wheels and 38cm Coefficient RR bars.
How are you feeling about those coefficient bars after this time? I am considering getting a pair to test out,,,
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

sigma wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:32 pm

How are you feeling about those coefficient bars after this time? I am considering getting a pair to test out,,,

Even after switching to a 150mm stem, the aero computer mount position is a bit cramped. I also wish the hoods were a bit narrower. I have been eyeing the Aerocoach Ornix as an alternative.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Mr.Gib wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:25 pm
BenSiskri wrote:
AXS to, just less friction....
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

sigma

by sigma

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:38 pm
sigma wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:32 pm

Even after switching to a 150mm stem, the aero computer mount position is a bit cramped. I also wish the hoods were a bit narrower. I have been eyeing the Aerocoach Ornix as an alternative.
I am playing a lot with the stem versus narrower bars (and my subsequent hip angles). It's a lot more tricky than I thought it would be to dial it in. I like the Ornix from handling one but never ridden it. Pretty stiff piece of kit.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

RDY

by RDY

Anyone found an off the shelf solution for the Domane running a third party stem and bar combo with cables going into the headset, which isn't the standard Trek part? Trek standard part uses standard round spacers if you need them, so has a cable run from the bar to headset cover, past the round spacers, which is less than ideal. AFAIK usual FSA / Deda / Ritchey solutions don't work because they use standard IS52 bearings and Trek uses some god-forsaken IS51 standard ... though maybe their spacers / covers will fit on top of the Trek bearing?

Also, anyone know of a third party 2 bolt seatpost being done yet? Darimo said no, and the 1 bolt Trek design isn't great.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

RDY wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:58 pm
Anyone found an off the shelf solution for the Domane running a third party stem and bar combo with cables going into the headset, which isn't the standard Trek part? Trek standard part uses standard round spacers if you need them, so has a cable run from the bar to headset cover, past the round spacers, which is less than ideal. AFAIK usual FSA / Deda / Ritchey solutions don't work because they use standard IS52 bearings and Trek uses some god-forsaken IS51 standard ... though maybe their spacers / covers will fit on top of the Trek bearing?

Also, anyone know of a third party 2 bolt seatpost being done yet? Darimo said no, and the 1 bolt Trek design isn't great.

The FSA ACR split ring mates with the Trek 51mm bearing, but it’s much too tall.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RDY

by RDY

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:35 pm
RDY wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:58 pm

The FSA ACR split ring mates with the Trek 51mm bearing, but it’s much too tall.
I assume you mean it's in danger of being unstable due to the profiling of the frame, as height per se is irrelevant if you're adding spacers? The Ritchey one is much lower profile and generally more stable than the ACR part in my experience. If the ACR part fits the 51mm bearing, so should the Ritchey one.