Trek Domane 2023

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LRB23

by LRB23

So the new Trek Domane broke cover this week on got off to a flying start with Elisa Longo Borghini taking line honours for Trek Segafredo.

I’m liking they’ve returned to a conventional seat post. Hoping this trickles down to the Emonda.

It’s been suggested the forward ISO speed has been removed. Possible weight reduction? Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RDY

by RDY

Back end / rear ISO looks different too, to me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nejmann

by Nejmann

Cyclingtips has a full story on it. Looks really cool.

elmtree

by elmtree

According to that article it's a d shaped seatpost, but at least it's not a mast

Cemicar

by Cemicar

Part of why the front ISO speed is gone should be the cable integration. Trek also once explained the new Checkpoint didnt have the front ISO speed because it gave little effect with wide tires (35C or even wider).

While this move sounds plausible, they go in the opposite direction of Specialized which will stick to the Future Shock.

jlok

by jlok

Those moving parts introduced by IsoSpeed are causing some problems like creaking, rusting, etc. Glad to see they get rid of the front IsoS but if the cables are routing through the headset bearings... :(
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

jlok wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:33 am
Those moving parts introduced by IsoSpeed are causing some problems like creaking, rusting, etc. Glad to see they get rid of the front IsoS but if the cables are routing through the headset bearings... :(

Just need to wait for CeramicSpeed or some other brand to come out with IS41 solid/polymer lube upper bearings.

jlok

by jlok

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:04 am
jlok wrote:

Just need to wait for CeramicSpeed or some other brand to come out with IS41 solid/polymer lube upper bearings.
Yeah... Domane... cable through headset bearing for aero and maybe style to some eyes, but at this additional cost just not for me. If it's Madone, fine.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

cauchy

by cauchy

Cemicar wrote: While this move sounds plausible, they go in the opposite direction of Specialized which will stick to the Future Shock.
And yet Spec is still lighter. And FS has gained lot of fans in amateur cycling during last years. From my perspective as user, it would be nice from Spec to add a spare part that would be replacement for FS, but completely stiff and light.

Anyway new Domane looks cool to me, just because it’s more simpleImageand hopefully lighter as well.

And from last year race - all 3 podium places were taken on aero bikes…

ToileySiphon

by ToileySiphon

jlok wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:04 am
jlok wrote:

Yeah... Domane... cable through headset bearing for aero and maybe style to some eyes, but at this additional cost just not for me. If it's Madone, fine.
Which means they probably need to implement some kind of steerer stop that prevents the bars from turning too much.

Envoyé de mon SM-G973W en utilisant Tapatalk

ToileySiphon

by ToileySiphon

cauchy wrote:
Cemicar wrote: While this move sounds plausible, they go in the opposite direction of Specialized which will stick to the Future Shock.
And yet Spec is still lighter. And FS has gained lot of fans in amateur cycling during last years. From my perspective as user, it would be nice from Spec to add a spare part that would be replacement for FS, but completely stiff and light.

Anyway new Domane looks cool to me, just because it’s more simpleImageand hopefully lighter as well.

And from last year race - all 3 podium places were taken on aero bikes…
The Roubaix and FurtureShock have a lot going for them. There's just one issue that bothers me a lot about its design : lack of redundancy. The FS is attached to the fork by a collar with a single bolt. If that unique bolt loosen or breaks, you are in big trouble (no steering!) . It's enough to make me pass on what seems like an otherwise very good bike, even tho the odds of that happening are extremely low

Last edited by ToileySiphon on Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cauchy

by cauchy

True, design of the headset and fs itself should be little bit better/more robust.

greycat

by greycat

If there was a bolt or collar failure. I would expect the steering to become loose. The fs is a snug fit into the fork even with the factory lube. Plus your weight would keep the system in place. If your doing gravel riding this could lead you to a quick dismount. Hopefully you'd notice a twitchy wheel or free play in steering and stop. A diverge on gravel would be the likely conditions to see a failure happen. Not that guys aren't on gravel with a roubaix.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LRB23

by LRB23

Does that look like an ISO speed at the front?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk