Trek Domane 2023

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RDY

by RDY

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:12 pm
RDY wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:37 am

What's the purpose of aggressively swept back bars like this? Presumably they keep a similar effective reach to normal bars? Normally backseep is used on bikes with a long front center to bring the grips closer to the reach starved or wanting-more-comfort rider.

The grips, ramps, drops are in the "expected" position relative to the stem clamping area. The tops are slanted up and forward toward the middle to allow a more neutral wrist position, and it only makes sense to increase the reach on the tops toward the middle as you bring your hands in from the hoods/grips. Think of a middle hand position as puppy paws except you're actually gripping the bars.
Ah. It would make more sense though to extend the 'nose' and hole it leaves significantly further forwards so that the head unit could occupy the space, instead of sitting en plein air. But I guess that would probably fall afoul of some UCI rule.

hannawald

by hannawald

Does anybody know if the new Domane fits left side Shimano crank arm powermeter (4iiii or Stages)? Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ViperFFM

by ViperFFM

got a 4iii, yes
carbonLORD wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:23 am
I'm a CAT 3 Masters racer, not a dentist.

ABogle

by ABogle

ViperFFM wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:42 pm
got a 4iii, yes
Is that a Gen 2 or 3 as the 3 requires less clearance

ViperFFM

by ViperFFM

Gen2 fits no problem
carbonLORD wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:23 am
I'm a CAT 3 Masters racer, not a dentist.

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

Tobin, have you been using your new bike in the NorCal races? (I was out of town for work, now dealing with first-ever Covid, so am out for a while.) If so, how has it been in all the weather?

jfranci3

by jfranci3

You should be able to shim out the NDS crank arm in any case. Wheels MFG makes 24mm spacers.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

twoangstroms wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:37 pm
Tobin, have you been using your new bike in the NorCal races? (I was out of town for work, now dealing with first-ever Covid, so am out for a while.) If so, how has it been in all the weather?

I used the Madone at Snelling and am probably going to keep using it as the foul weather race bike until the new bike smell on the Domane wears off.

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

Fair -- I saw the photos from Snelling. (Though that would be one way to wash off that new bike smell!)

hannawald

by hannawald

jfranci3 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:21 pm
You should be able to shim out the NDS crank arm in any case. Wheels MFG makes 24mm spacers.
I can confirm now that there is enough clearance on Domane gen 4 size 56 and 4iiii Precision 3 172.5. Maybe 5mm or so.

hannawald

by hannawald

I have a friend who is 183cm (6 feet) and he has shorter legs longer torso. He wants to buy Domane as he first road bike (rides MTB, size L). I know we can´t bike fit anybody via internet but I just really don´t get why Trek size chart and his dealer want him to buy 58 size. Isn´t 56 (maybe with longer stem) better in every way? Lighter, shorter chainstays, wheelbase (still long enough)...Based on his height Canyon would put him on M Endurace and Giant on M/L Defy, which has similar geometry as Domane SLR 56. He was ok on 56 Cervelo Caledonia. What am I missing? Thanks. I don´t want him to make a costly mistake. Bikefit is obvious argument, but to me 56 is so obvious that I just don´t get it...

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Either size could work depending on his needs/desires.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

hannawald wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:13 pm
I have a friend who is 183cm (6 feet) and he has shorter legs longer torso. He wants to buy Domane as he first road bike (rides MTB, size L). I know we can´t bike fit anybody via internet but I just really don´t get why Trek size chart and his dealer want him to buy 58 size. Isn´t 56 (maybe with longer stem) better in every way? Lighter, shorter chainstays, wheelbase (still long enough)...Based on his height Canyon would put him on M Endurace and Giant on M/L Defy, which has similar geometry as Domane SLR 56. He was ok on 56 Cervelo Caledonia. What am I missing? Thanks. I don´t want him to make a costly mistake. Bikefit is obvious argument, but to me 56 is so obvious that I just don´t get it...
For the SLR version the reach is essentially the same between the 56 and 58, so that reduces the issue to a question of stack. The 58 has a massive stack of 611mm vs 591mm for the 56. So unless your friend is unable to bend at the waist, the 56 should be the preferred size. This is particularely true given that the 56 itself has particularely forgiving stack and reach numbers. The other way to look at it is that it is always possible to "make" a bike bigger (with spacers, longer stems, etc.) but you can't make it smaller. FWIW I am 183cm tall, I have had 3 Trek bikes, all 56. Had a 58cm Boone (cyclocross), it was fine, but 56 would have been preferred.
Last edited by Mr.Gib on Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Knightyboy27

by Knightyboy27

Mr.Gib wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:21 pm
hannawald wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:13 pm
For the SLR version the reach is essentially the same between the 56 and 58, so that reduces the issue to a question of stack. The 58 has a massive stack of 611mm vs 591mm for the 56. So unless your friend is unable to bend at the waist, the 56 should be the preferred size. This is particularely true given that the 56 itself has particularely forgiving stack and reach numbers. The other way to look at it is that it is always possible to "make" a bike bigger (with spacers, longer stems, etc.) but you can't make it smaller.
Adding to this, given the shorter legs will decrease the saddle height, the drop from saddle to bars will be an important thing to consider. It may be the case that a 54 is better suited from a stack point of view, as reach increased with a longer stem will also increase the stack naturally (due to a combo of stem angle and head tube angle).

Worth noting that the current gen Domane has a much shorter reach handlebar than the previous one, so increasing the stem length to something a bit more normal (for most people) will just increase the effective stack more.

Given the prices that Domanes are at, I must say that the value of a bike fit can't be underestimated as making sure he purchases the correct frame size and gets it setup up to fit him is worth the cost relative to how much the bike will set him back.

For context, I am 183cm as well and have a slammed Domane gen 3 that is super comfy, but have other bikes with a lower stack for more aggressive riding.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hannawald

by hannawald

thanks all... I have a similar feeling that once you are OK on a 56 sized Cervelo Caledonia why would you go one size bigger Domane. You should be OK with stack on 56 (Cervelo quotes 580mm but that is including 7mm headset cover unlike what is common, so basically 373 vs 591mm on Domane 56) and you may just need longer stem or "longer reached" handlebars. Could be better option than fully slammed stem on 58.