Trek Domane 2023

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

daninplymouth

by daninplymouth

C36 wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:39 pm
daninplymouth wrote:Interested on the feedback on this over the coming weeks. Think this could be my next frame, torn between this and the new ultimate. I know quite polar bikes but just deciding between the more aggressive canyon or a bit more comfort from the trek
Let’s start with the geometry… I can’t see how you could be fitted properly on those 2 very very different bikes unless one has a nano stem and the other a very large one, in both cases not a great compromise.

Smaller (the only size where bikes are similar)
- trek reach 360 / stack 510
- canyon 358 / 486
Medium
- trek 374 / 575
- canyon 393 / 563
Large
- trek (60) 383 / 632
- canyon (xl) 419 / 609

Trek 60 has almost the same reach than canyon XS…
My current bike is 400/600 run 25-30mm spacers so the trek should fit fine if I slam the stem and could use a 110-120mm stem, was fitted on my current with a 90 but now using a 100mm.
I have experimented moving my stem down and seem to be able to hold the position fine, I have been working a lot on my mobility/flexibility. However still not sure if the canyon will be to low I think you can only run 17.5mm of spacers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Knightyboy27

by Knightyboy27

Helping a friend out with a build, any recommendations for a bottom bracket for Rotor Aldhu Carbon cranks (30mm)?

Currently looking at the Wheels MFG T47 angular contact for 30mm one, but would appreciate if anyone else has better knowledge (the Hambini one is probably out of budget unfortunately)

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Knightyboy27 wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:54 pm
Helping a friend out with a build, any recommendations for a bottom bracket for Rotor Aldhu Carbon cranks (30mm)?

Currently looking at the Wheels MFG T47 angular contact for 30mm one, but would appreciate if anyone else has better knowledge (the Hambini one is probably out of budget unfortunately)

Praxis is the only brand I know of with a thicker tool interface designed specifically for 85.5mm BB shells like on the Treks.

https://praxiscycles.com/product/m30-thru-t47-i-b/

recoilfx

by recoilfx

I believe BBInfite also has a version for Trek' s T47. It's expensive, but less than Hambini's.

CarlosTheJackal

by CarlosTheJackal

The Hambini BB uses NTN bearings and is self-centering. I believe the Praxis uses Enduro bearings and does not self-center for alignment.

I'm not sure about the thicker flange thickness, I have no idea why they didn't opt for the 68mm version. Then it would be 11mm of material to grip on.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Welp, just ordered a 54cm Domane RSL frameset.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:27 am
Nice, what about the Domane RSL appeals to you in particular (other than the aggressive geo :wink: )?
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Yeah. I'm interested in knowing what attributes you liked as a racing bike. To me personally three things that I liked about are 1) low BB height, 2) internal downtube storage, and 3) slack geometry. Comfort is also nice but I dislike proprietary seatposts. I've found that a light and round seatpost such as the Darimo provided just the right amount of comfort without any downsides.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Mr.Gib wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:24 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Nice, what about the Domane RSL appeals to you in particular (other than the aggressive geo :wink: )?

It’s mostly that. The new Madone’s barstem is too short and too high, so I’d have to use a standard stem with it or get something like an EXS Aerover or Farsports F1.

Plus it has a 998mm wheelbase, low trail, T47 BB and should arrive in 2-3 weeks.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:17 am
Yeah. I'm interested in knowing what attributes you liked as a racing bike. To me personally three things that I liked about are 1) low BB height, 2) internal downtube storage, and 3) slack geometry. Comfort is also nice but I dislike proprietary seatposts. I've found that a light and round seatpost such as the Darimo provided just the right amount of comfort without any downsides.

The RSL does not have the DT compartment, has a beefed up BB shell and I swear it looks like DT has a deeper aspect ratio. The regular Domane has some chainring size limitations as well. Apparently it can only take up to a 33t inner ring with SRAM, but a 36t inner ring with Shimano. The RSL can take up to 40t inner rings because it has a narrower rear triangle (35mm max tire clearance instead of 38mm)

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:58 am
pdlpsher1 wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:17 am

The RSL does not have the DT compartment, has a beefed up BB shell and I swear it looks like DT has a deeper aspect ratio. The regular Domane has some chainring size limitations as well. Apparently it can only take up to a 33t inner ring with SRAM, but a 36t inner ring with Shimano. The RSL can take up to 40t inner rings because it has a narrower rear triangle (35mm max tire clearance instead of 38mm)
Jesus, that is one expensive frameset :shock:
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:53 am
Mr.Gib wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:24 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:

It’s mostly that. The new Madone’s barstem is too short and too high, so I’d have to use a standard stem with it or get something like an EXS Aerover or Farsports F1.

Plus it has a 998mm wheelbase, low trail, T47 BB and should arrive in 2-3 weeks.
No doubt it's a proper race bike. If I had to guess I would have thought you would have gone for max aero. But if you are tied to Trek (I assume), and the Madone does not fit as well, than the Domane RSL is a serious alternative. And away from racing it is perhaps a more practical option. Maybe post a pic of the finished build. Is it the standard team red/blue fade paint job? Great looking bike.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Mr.Gib wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:51 pm

No doubt it's a proper race bike. If I had to guess I would have thought you would have gone for max aero. But if you are tied to Trek (I assume), and the Madone does not fit as well, than the Domane RSL is a serious alternative. And away from racing it is perhaps a more practical option. Maybe post a pic of the finished build. Is it the standard team red/blue fade paint job? Great looking bike.

Yeah it's the red/blue fade and I assume it will have the "stock" decals on it. So it will have the #4 for Mk IV, the lion emblem and the crown emblem on the fork.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I just looked at the RSL frameset online. I didn't know the RSL geometry is that aggressive. Have fun with the build. I hope you'll post some pics on the build process.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:06 am
I just looked at the RSL frameset online. I didn't know the RSL geometry is that aggressive. Have fun with the build. I hope you'll post some pics on the build process.

Trek calls it H1.5 but it's actually H1 IMO. It's honestly a completely different bike other than the IsoSpeed hardware. 104mm HT vs 160mm... and based on measurements in-store of a 54cm frame, that 160mm includes the headset cover.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com