Trek Domane 2023

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Yeah. The difference is huge in every way. Not even in the same category. The stack is so low on the RSL. And the trail is much lower. Interesting that Trek doesn't provide front center. I bet it's around 575mm. But since you're running short cranks you won't have toe-overlap issues.

Did you settle on 155mm cranks after the short crank experimentation?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:25 am
Yeah. The difference is huge in every way. Not even in the same category. The stack is so low on the RSL. And the trail is much lower. Interesting that Trek doesn't provide front center. I bet it's around 575mm. But since you're running short cranks you won't have toe-overlap issues.

Did you settle on 155mm cranks after the short crank experimentation?

Yeah my preference is for 155mm at this point, but I'm also good with 165mm. All the 155mm options are unfortunately pretty heavy. Toe overlap really isn't an issue other than the fact that I'll mess up my shoes while soft-pedaling around a parking lot.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fidracer

by fidracer

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:53 am
Mr.Gib wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:24 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:27 am
Welp, just ordered a 54cm Domane RSL frameset.
Nice, what about the Domane RSL appeals to you in particular (other than the aggressive geo :wink: )?

It’s mostly that. The new Madone’s barstem is too short and too high, so I’d have to use a standard stem with it or get something like an EXS Aerover or Farsports F1.

Plus it has a 998mm wheelbase, low trail, T47 BB and should arrive in 2-3 weeks.
So you'll have it built and tested before Snelling? :podium:

Congrats on the purchase, looks cool!

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

fidracer wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:19 am

Bike should be ready for Cantua unless the shipping date is a lie. Whether the body will be ready is another story.

Lina

by Lina

wheelsONfire wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:42 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:58 am
pdlpsher1 wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:17 am
Yeah. I'm interested in knowing what attributes you liked as a racing bike. To me personally three things that I liked about are 1) low BB height, 2) internal downtube storage, and 3) slack geometry. Comfort is also nice but I dislike proprietary seatposts. I've found that a light and round seatpost such as the Darimo provided just the right amount of comfort without any downsides.

The RSL does not have the DT compartment, has a beefed up BB shell and I swear it looks like DT has a deeper aspect ratio. The regular Domane has some chainring size limitations as well. Apparently it can only take up to a 33t inner ring with SRAM, but a 36t inner ring with Shimano. The RSL can take up to 40t inner rings because it has a narrower rear triangle (35mm max tire clearance instead of 38mm)
Jesus, that is one expensive frameset :shock:
Yeah, I would be really interested in one but the price has been holding me back so far.

sigma

by sigma

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:42 am
fidracer wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:19 am

Bike should be ready for Cantua unless the shipping date is a lie. Whether the body will be ready is another story.
Very interested to hear your ride impressions and follow the build. The RSL geometry also fits me a little better and I was a huge fan of the rim brake domane in both the first and second (with isospeed on the front) versions as it was still light and fun to ride. I passed on the disc iterations because they felt almost too plush and non-responsive, but this looks pretty great and would be excellent for a midwest poor roads endurance bike.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

jfranci3

by jfranci3

I think you're right on the DT aspect ratio
https://cyclingtips.com/2022/04/new-tre ... ix-femmes/

Looks like use half the Madone mold and half the Domane.
image(1).jpg

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

jfranci3 wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:47 pm

image(1).jpg

Like, I’m not crazy right? The Domane RSL is going to be faster in real-world riding than a Madone if you can lower your shoulders even 1cm.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:27 am
Welp, just ordered a 54cm Domane RSL frameset.
nice !

let is know frame/fork right.
Last edited by spdntrxi on Sun Dec 25, 2022 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

jfranci3

by jfranci3

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:18 pm
jfranci3 wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:47 pm

image(1).jpg

Like, I’m not crazy right? The Domane RSL is going to be faster in real-world riding than a Madone if you can lower your shoulders even 1cm.

Probably a tossup. It might depend on how low the bottle cage sits on the Domane and how the new Madone rides. The Madone has a pretty low cage mount (where the tube is wider) and better seat tube 'sail' in crosswinds. They tune the Domane to ride fairly firm by current standards, so the Madone won't be radically better if it's decent. They both take pretty wide tires. The Domane is 10mm longer front and rear, so it loses a touch of draft-ability, but will ride better just because of that.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:18 pm
But what if the guy on the Madone bends his elbows one addition degree? :D
Kidding of course. I live by the phylosophy that you never need a practical reason to buy a new bike. That RSL will look fantastic, ride great, and like any nice new bike give added motivation to get out there and train - a big win in my book whether it's faster/fits better, or not. Looking forward to your ride impressions in comparison with the Madone.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

It's 200gr for a better riding Emonda SLR H1 for most people. I don't think it gets the 8w-ish credit of the Madone on a test, but it's not a bad idea for an aero backroad bike that doesn't look like it's trying too hard. If it took 38 or 40s in real life, it would be the the perfect smooth gravel bike and is probably the best BWR bike.

I'd still like to replace my 2018 Checkpoint with a +1 dove 2021 Domane classics bike.

RDY

by RDY

What's the situation with third party stems or cockpits on the new Domane SL / SLR? Does it come with a headset cover / spacers that will work with them, per the Gen6 Madone SL? If not, what's the upper headset bearing standard and size?

Edit, had written Madone SL / SLR, meant Domane SL / SLR

P.S. Trek only have the lower IS51/40 bearing listed on their service guide. Not the upper.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

RDY wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:07 pm
What's the situation with third party stems or cockpits on the new Domane SL / SLR? Does it come with a headset cover / spacers that will work with them, per the Gen6 Madone SL? If not, what's the upper headset bearing standard and size?

P.S. Trek only have the lower IS51/40 bearing listed on their service guide. Not the upper.
The Domane has IS51/40 upper and lower bearings to accommodate its round 1-1/8" steerer + internal cable routing. There is a headset bearing cover for regular stems + spacers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RDY

by RDY

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:24 pm
RDY wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:07 pm

The Domane has IS51/40 upper and lower bearings to accommodate its round 1-1/8" steerer + internal cable routing. There is a headset bearing cover for regular stems + spacers.
Thanks. Does that come with it, or is it a separate purchase? If not, part number?