Trek Domane 2023

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hannawald

by hannawald

I have 2 rides on my Domane SLR and thinking about the bars. I would prefer 40cm rather than stock 42cm and with flat tops rather than round (I find holding aero shaped bars more comfortable). Going narrower doesn´t seem sensible as Trek is asking something like 400 euro for these bars. Too much for still a compromised solution. Buying something else I am not sure how much comfort I will sacrifice - all reviews rave about how these isocore handlebars add comfort to any bike reducing 20 percent more vibrations compared to other bars...I must say Domane is really comfortable (even on 28mm tyres I use instead of stock 32mm), just not sure how much of this comfort is because of special bars. On the other hand I think lizzard skin bar tape could add some comfort compared to stock Bontrager tape. Holding tops I can feel hydraulic hoses under the tape...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stormtrooper

by Stormtrooper

I was dissapointed to not see a single Trek rider using the new RSL Domane for Paris Roubaix. They were all riding the current Madone so I guess they opted for aero over comfort.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Stormtrooper wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:55 pm
I was dissapointed to not see a single Trek rider using the new RSL Domane for Paris Roubaix. They were all riding the current Madone so I guess they opted for aero over comfort.
Didn't Longo Borghini ride the Domane RSL?
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Stormtrooper

by Stormtrooper

I'm really only talking about the mens team.

hannawald

by hannawald

Yes, women on Domane, men on Madone. Hard to say what the aero difference is. Sometimes it is not about the bike itself and they just prefer to race what they are used to the most. RSL seems like a really great bike. I have a SLR model as I need endurance geometry and it is really the most comfortable bike I have ever had. More than Caledonia 5, but maybe not as snappy. RSL seems to have much larger head tube and BB area compared to SLR (if it is not just side effect of different sized bikes) so it might be actually completely different bike than Domane SLR/SL.

Nejmann

by Nejmann

Since Hayman won on a aero bike.. aero and 28/30mm has been the favoured combo..

What about the integrated aero bar from the Emonda?

Fisherfreerider

by Fisherfreerider

hannawald wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:24 pm
Yes, women on Domane, men on Madone. Hard to say what the aero difference is. Sometimes it is not about the bike itself and they just prefer to race what they are used to the most. RSL seems like a really great bike. I have a SLR model as I need endurance geometry and it is really the most comfortable bike I have ever had. More than Caledonia 5, but maybe not as snappy. RSL seems to have much larger head tube and BB area compared to SLR (if it is not just side effect of different sized bikes) so it might be actually completely different bike than Domane SLR/SL.
Mens race is faster so they prefer the aero bike. Womens race has more cobbles per km of the race so they want comfort.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The Domane RSL is faster if you can handle the drop. I think the men are just used to racing the Madone in all but the hilliest races, whereas the women’s team spends a lot more time on the Emonda.

Ironically the Domane RSL only goes down to 52cm. Last year some smaller riders like Chloe Hosking were on regular Domane SLRs.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:14 pm
The Domane RSL is faster if you can handle the drop. I think the men are just used to racing the Madone in all but the hilliest races, whereas the women’s team spends a lot more time on the Emonda.

Ironically the Domane RSL only goes down to 52cm. Last year some smaller riders like Chloe Hosking were on regular Domane SLRs.
The bike is faster? or the body on it?
Dissappointed I didn't see the men on the RSL at Paris Roubaix. It seems tailor made for that race, and if not PR, then where? You would think that some of the domestiques with no prospect of contending the finale would have chosen it. Who knows? Maybe they weren't given the option.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

BenSiskri

by BenSiskri

Mr.Gib wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:11 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:14 pm

The bike is faster? or the body on it?
Dissappointed I didn't see the men on the RSL at Paris Roubaix. It seems tailor made for that race, and if not PR, then where? You would think that some of the domestiques with no prospect of contending the finale would have chosen it. Who knows? Maybe they weren't given the option.
As I'm on my fifth Domane, I too was disappointed that not one man was on the RSL version - it's the race the bike was basically designed for. Similarly, EF no longer use the Synapse for PR, and not all Specialized teams use the Roubaix.....
I suppose it reflects the progress made with race/ aero bikes, but it's not as interesting from a tech point of view as it once was.
Trek Crockett 4
Giant TCR Advanced 3

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

The numbers might be off, but I read somewhere that a seatpost can provide 10 times the compliance of the typical frameset, and the tires can provide 10 times as much compliance as a typical seatpost. I guess as far as Paris Roubaix goes, once you are able to use the optimal tires, there is limited added benefit from other comfort related equipment options. So might as well go with aero if you can.

Like you note, a bit of shame not to see all sorts of funky PR specific tech. Though Sagan was once again on mechanical Dura Ace. And some guys using 11 speed so they could use GRX rear derailleurs.

hannawald

by hannawald

Mr.Gib wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:54 pm
The numbers might be off, but I read somewhere that a seatpost can provide 10 times the compliance of the typical frameset, and the tires can provide 10 times as much compliance as a typical seatpost. I guess as far as Paris Roubaix goes, once you are able to use the optimal tires, there is limited added benefit from other comfort related equipment options. So might as well go with aero if you can.

Like you note, a bit of shame not to see all sorts of funky PR specific tech. Though Sagan was once again on mechanical Dura Ace. And some guys using 11 speed so they could use GRX rear derailleurs.
I have had many bikes and I can say Domane is by far the most comfortable bike I have ever had (riding on my usual 28mm tyres so this doesn´t make the difference). So there are still some differences between framesets:)

I can understand they don´t use Synapse, it has endurance geometry - too short and tall for them, but Domane RSL has the same racing geometry as Madone. So slightly different case and they just say - we have made a bike for Paris Roubaix but it is not good enough for the race anyway. But if they don´t have it they would have to probably advertise regular Domane as a bike for fat old guys who are not flexible enough (like me:) and it doesn´t sound that sexy.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

hannawald wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:10 pm

I can understand they don´t use Synapse, it has endurance geometry - too short and tall for them, but Domane RSL has the same racing geometry as Madone. So slightly different case and they just say - we have made a bike for Paris Roubaix but it is not good enough for the race anyway. But if they don´t have it they would have to probably advertise regular Domane as a bike for fat old guys who are not flexible enough (like me:) and it doesn´t sound that sexy.

The Domane RSL doesn’t have the same geometry as the Madone. For the equivalent reach, the Domane RSL has 3cm less stack.

pmprego

by pmprego

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:51 pm
hannawald wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:10 pm

The Domane RSL doesn’t have the same geometry as the Madone. For the equivalent reach, the Domane RSL has 3cm less stack.
Damn... That's aggressive!

I understand is made for pro so the geo is appropriate to them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BenSiskri

by BenSiskri

I can believe that about the tyres; they have the biggest factor in compliance. I remember my first Domane 2.0 about 7-8 years ago; it was only aluminium, but had the rear isospeed, and came with 25mm tyres. Whenever I get a new bike, my first ride is always as stock/original spec - so after 30-40 mins on the new Domane, I wasn't totally impressed. So I stopped and lowered the tyre pressure, as the shop had pumped them rock hard (why did they do this?). So slightly better, but not what I was expecting. Got home and put on the 27mm Corsa Open Pave CG tyres, and at a suitable pressure - and they were an improvement. In all honesty, the most comfortable was when I fitted the 30mm Schwalbe G-One Speed tyres.....it became probably the most comfortable bike I've had. And it was only about £750-800 when new.

I'm always surprised we don't see more GRX rear mechs used in CX; and it would seem a 'no-brainer' to use in a race like PR.....
Trek Crockett 4
Giant TCR Advanced 3