Topeak Feza Carbon R10 Bottle Cage

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Carbonwork

by Carbonwork

Hi,
we are already in preparation to fight against these copies from Topeak.
We have patent rights on our cage design. Nevertheless Topeaks copied them.
Thanks to all of you, who support us!!!
It is very difficult for a small brand like CarbonWorks to defend against such big companies.
Not improbable CarbonWorks will die under this attack :(
Years of development simply stolen and proclaimed as "innovative design" :(

:cry:
Simon

alanyu

by alanyu

Carbonwork wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 7:27 pm
Hi,
It is very difficult for a small brand like CarbonWorks to defend against such big companies.

Simon
As far as I can see, there is still tiny difference between yours and Topeak R10. The tube bending is more square and the tip is more round on Topeak. Their products learn from your idea, but not copies. I'm sure that's how they do to avoid lawers.

da123

by da123

Carbonwork wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 7:27 pm
Hi,

Simon
Good luck Simon. Last time I looked, r2 no longer have the Feza listed - is this due to you putting them on notice of Topeak's alleged patent infringement?

CarbonWorks

by CarbonWorks

Finally some news :D
The important milestone for us was the successful defence of our patent protection against Chinese and Taiwanese companies who had 1:1 copied the carbonworks bottle cage manufactured in Germany.
The carbon cage had become popular with customers around the world because of its innovative design and quality. Chinese companies probably noticed this at Eurobike. They began making and selling copies of the cage, identical to the original. Product images were also often stolen directly from our website.

But defending the patent was not easy. Topeak's lawyers argued that the bottle cage did not have a unique design and therefore the patent would be invalid.
Fortunately, we had a very motivated and strong lawyer who finally got our patent from the year 2015 enforced against these attacks.

After a long legal battle, we were finally also able to get various listings on Aliexpress, Amazon and Ebay removed.

Thanks to all of you, who supported us:)
Simon
carbonworks.de

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

CarbonWorks wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:46 pm
Finally some news :D
The important milestone for us was the successful defence of our patent protection against Chinese and Taiwanese companies who had 1:1 copied the carbonworks bottle cage manufactured in Germany.
The carbon cage had become popular with customers around the world because of its innovative design and quality. Chinese companies probably noticed this at Eurobike. They began making and selling copies of the cage, identical to the original. Product images were also often stolen directly from our website.

But defending the patent was not easy. Topeak's lawyers argued that the bottle cage did not have a unique design and therefore the patent would be invalid.
Fortunately, we had a very motivated and strong lawyer who finally got our patent from the year 2015 enforced against these attacks.

After a long legal battle, we were finally also able to get various listings on Aliexpress, Amazon and Ebay removed.

Thanks to all of you, who supported us:)
Does this mean that markets other than Germany will see the cages withdrawn?

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Feza still available in UK market from a number of 'reputable' retailers.

Price is not particularly low compared to Carbonworks original. Given the choice I would rather not buy a copy product.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Carbonwork wrote:Hi,

Simon
Glad you are here speaking out. Attention should be given to Ali express stuff as well. People are more prone to look for and purchase counterfeit stuff than ever before.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk

Never cheer before you know who is winning

Muck

by Muck

As much as I love the carbon works cages, hopefully these are stronger.
I've just noticed my second one has cracked in the exact same place as my first.
That's 2 in less than 2 years.
I wont be stumping up for another one, sorry Simon.

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

Muck wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:14 am
I've just noticed my second one has cracked in the exact same place as my first.
Look at how the upper loop is joined to the cage bolt as opposed to being 'anchored' in place

Dare I say Topeak actually improved on the design

alanyu

by alanyu

StiffWeenies wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:24 am
Muck wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:14 am
Look at how the upper loop is joined to the cage bolt as opposed to being 'anchored' in place

I agree with you, and I don't regard topeak as "copies" as I posted before.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

StiffWeenies wrote:

Check out the original version that is still available in the UK. It is almost a carbon copy. Pun intended.

The newer one has been tweaked to "improve" it. More likely this is to get around the design infringement.
Attachments
35886-pm.jpg.png
35885-pm.jpg.png

alanyu

by alanyu

ultimobici wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:22 am
StiffWeenies wrote:

Check out the original version that is still available in the UK. It is almost a carbon copy. Pun intended.

The newer one has been tweaked to "improve" it. More likely this is to get around the design infringement.
Apparently different wing bending, different flatten L shape and its joint. :noidea:

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

For Simon!

I have talked to custom builders talking frame design who have been copied by well known large brands.
I also talked to the man you all know here, but i won't mention his name. His original crankset was copied by a large brand into oval chainrings.

Theft is obviously happening all the time.

Just for anyone or all...
I have Simons cages. Those with a surface layer. I have been using them for years exactly with same use as all other cages.
There have been zero issues for me. I have never seen any crack or anything and i have atleast removed both of them a number of times.

Lots of people have issues with stuff. Crank inserts gets pulled out, cracked Shimano cranks, broken cassettes.
Over the years i don't know how much i could list but it sure is alot.
How many here haven't used numbers of Berk saddles and complained about cracks?
I have had issues with older Ax frames (which lead to change of design and new layup) and the Extralite Hyper stem which frankly was the reason they made them revise their stems.
My parts i have had issues with, have been sent to respective companies for investigation.
Ax was the best company sorting things out. Best guy i have ever had to deal with ever is Nils Wiedeman which sadly isn't at Ax since years back.

I have read and spoken to someone, i will not name about issues with cracked weld on ti-framesets.
It's mostly around the BB region. Also inside a company making these on high level.

How many reports on oval BB's creaking etc. Canyons fiasco and Bianchis handlebar. Shit if we would list all issues here we would have a nice book to read ;-)
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Muck

by Muck

Unfortunately it is what is.
Being told there's nothing wrong with the cage it's been in an accident or some fault of mine. I replaced it out of good will to support Simon. To happen again in exactly the same place.
Sadly, this is how it goes, there's certainly a use case scenario now where 10 from china might last me a lot longer than 1 from carbonworks.
Or 2 from top peak.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com