Silca Ultimate Tubeless Sealant

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Ahhh.
The "f" key on my phone is broken.😉
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MikeD

by MikeD

A friend of mine had an intermittent shift key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

warthog101

by warthog101

FlatlandClimber wrote:Isn't wive's bike singular with a possessive "s" and wives' would be plural?
Seriously asking, English not being my mother tongue.
Well very well done then! English is my only language and I still find some of the petty rules and mannerisms frustrating.
If I wasn't so stupid and lazy I'd attempt to learn another to spare myself from it a little.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

I should actually know that "wife" is the singular. I have never been really good a writing and tend to type words the way they sound when not giving too much thought.

Learning a language as an adult is certainly significantly harder and it comes less natural. Also, when English is not your first language there is a very good motivation of learning a second language (as in being able to communicate with people all over the world). When English is already your mother tongue, you are basically only learning the language of one or a few individual countries (Spanish, French and Arabic possibly the exceptions here).
Difficult to get motivated learning say Italian, just to order food in Italian at your favorite restaurant, and the waiter still replies to you in English 😂.

Back to the sealant. Installed it on my roadbike, no inserts.
Super easy, no mess.
However, I'd still recommend a funnel or so, to not have the sealant all over the rim.
Last edited by FlatlandClimber on Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

thepassista

by thepassista

is it available anywhere in the EU? Couldn't find it... and Saddleback ships to UK only :(

whataboutEee

by whataboutEee

Josh, if you are still reading this thread, have you thought about seperating the carbon and the sealant similar to what caffelatex does with vitamina cl? I just set up some tires with the silca sealant and it wasn't too bad, but it would go a lot better if I could dump the carbon into the tire and then finish mounting the tire before adding the sealant thru the valve stem.

warthog101

by warthog101

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Learning a language as an adult is certainly significantly harder and it comes less natural. Also, when English is not your first language there is a very good motivation of learning a second language (as in being able to communicate with people all over the world). When English is already your mother tongue, can are basically only learning the language of one or a few individual countries (Spanish, French and Arabic possibly the exceptions here).
Difficult to get motivated learning say Italian, just to order food in Italian at your favorite restaurant, and the waiter still replies to you in English Image.
Thanks. That makes me feel a bit better about being so lazy I've not even tried. ImageImage

joshatsilca

by joshatsilca

whataboutEee wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:25 pm
Josh, if you are still reading this thread, have you thought about seperating the carbon and the sealant similar to what caffelatex does with vitamina cl? I just set up some tires with the silca sealant and it wasn't too bad, but it would go a lot better if I could dump the carbon into the tire and then finish mounting the tire before adding the sealant thru the valve stem.
Yes, we worked really hard on this, but the raw pyrolyzed carbon in these lenghts is so light and high surface area that it is a real inhalation risk if it were to become airborne, normal milled carbon fibers might actually be 3000-6000 fibers stuck together with sizing, in our case, those fibers are singular when they are loose, so even just walking by an open jar of them on a table could end up wafting thousands of them into the air.
Of course, once they are in the sealant, they are coated in latex and completely safe with no chance of inhalation.

We even worked with the company that invented TidePods to see if we could get the carbon into a little gelatin pillow that you could put in the tire that would then be disolved by the sealant, but unfortunately none of the pillow materials are disolvable into any of the sealant materials, so it didn't work.
Owner of SILCA
Check out my Tech Blog: https://blog.silca.cc
Stories of the Tech behind the Tech: https://marginalgainspodcast.cc

Gary71

by Gary71

Hi Josh,
Any idea if and when this stuff will make it's way to Australia?

Curious George

by Curious George

Gary71 wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:45 pm
Hi Josh,
https://www.echelonsports.com.au/075_SI ... ESS/pl.php Only one size is available till next month.

ToileySiphon

by ToileySiphon

joshatsilca wrote:
whataboutEee wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:25 pm
Yes, we worked really hard on this, but the raw pyrolyzed carbon in these lenghts is so light and high surface area that it is a real inhalation risk if it were to become airborne, normal milled carbon fibers might actually be 3000-6000 fibers stuck together with sizing, in our case, those fibers are singular when they are loose, so even just walking by an open jar of them on a table could end up wafting thousands of them into the air.
Of course, once they are in the sealant, they are coated in latex and completely safe with no chance of inhalation.

We even worked with the company that invented TidePods to see if we could get the carbon into a little gelatin pillow that you could put in the tire that would then be disolved by the sealant, but unfortunately none of the pillow materials are disolvable into any of the sealant materials, so it didn't work.
Wow that would have been great if this pod idea worked!

Envoyé de mon SM-G973W en utilisant Tapatalk

Gary71

by Gary71

Curious George wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:22 am
Gary71 wrote:
Hi Josh,
https://www.echelonsports.com.au/075_SI ... ESS/pl.php Only one size is available till next month.
Thanks - ordered (with a few extras) :D

joshatsilca

by joshatsilca

Gary71 wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:31 am
Curious George wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:22 am
Gary71 wrote:
Hi Josh,
Thanks - ordered (with a few extras) :D
Great to hear!
Owner of SILCA
Check out my Tech Blog: https://blog.silca.cc
Stories of the Tech behind the Tech: https://marginalgainspodcast.cc

AC0

by AC0

Would be interesting to hear if any teams at Paris-Roubaix used the new sealant and if they had any unsealable punctures. Seems like there were a large number of wheel/bike changes due to punctures this year and speculation from the commentators that it might be from the switch to tubeless.

Sent from my SM-G996W using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

AC0 wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:37 pm
Would be interesting to hear if any teams at Paris-Roubaix used the new sealant and if they had any unsealable punctures. Seems like there were a large number of wheel/bike changes due to punctures this year and speculation from the commentators that it might be from the switch to tubeless.

Sent from my SM-G996W using Tapatalk

Probably >80% of the riders were on tubeless, but only maybe 13 out of 20 punctures (65%) seen on the world feed were tubeless.

It was the fastest P-R ever, and that means more energetic collisions between tires and cobbles = more punctures for everyone.