Silca Ultimate Tubeless Sealant

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DDX

by DDX

Not sure about the carbon fibers parts, I alway learned you had to wear face masks when you cut your carbon fibre fork.
So not sure how safe this sealant is ?

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

DDX wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:20 pm
Not sure about the carbon fibers parts, I alway learned you had to wear face masks when you cut your carbon fibre fork.
My guess is these parts are significantly larger, than the very fine particles, that'd settle in your lungs when cutting up a carbon fork or seatpost.
If the parts are 1mm or larger, I don't think they are a risk to breathe in, especially when drenched in latex.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

bobones wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:33 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:50 am
Well, i have used inner tubes and tubeless. To be honest, the most secure set up i have used is inner tubes and then use Tufo if a punture appears.
I've had several flats with sealant and tubeless which just doesn't get repaired. Even with dynaplug!
I don't ask for some shitty comments about this since i just mention what has been the best option for me.
I respect your opinion, but if a puncture still leaks after inserting a Dynaplug, just fire in another one. Also, if you're not using a road proven sealant (i.e. Orange Seal), then your tubeless experience will be compromised.
I have used many brands and Orange is probably my favorite. However, if you wait to long to change sealant, i don't like the goop it turns to.
For road i think i will stick to using inner tubes.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

ridgick

by ridgick

I'll be trying the new Silca with the hope that it will seal at a higher pressure than the competitors that use smaller particles. I've tried almost everything out there and so far I'm still a fan of Stans when it's newish. Orange seal only seems to work for me once the pressure gets down below 40-30psi. Still enough pressure to get me home but not enough to continue racing on.

ms6073

by ms6073

MikeD wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:15 pm
I recently got a flat (rear tire at 80 psi, 700x29) and there was a lot of Orange Seal all over the back of my bike. Pressure didn't come down much to notice as I finished the ride without noticing that I had a flat though.
Since going tubeless some 4-years back, 3 of which would not have even been noticed had it not been for the Orange Seal Endurance residue on the underside of the downtube or back of the seat tube at the end of the ride. I was running 700x28 and 700x30 Schwalbe tires in these cases and was running ~61F/65R psi and pressure dropped maybe 1-2 psi. In all cases, I used the syringe I use to inject the sealant to 'suck it out' to check the level and then refreshed the sealant but can't say whether the lower volume of sealant was due to the leak being sealed or normal evaporation.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

MikeD

by MikeD

ms6073 wrote:
MikeD wrote:
I recently got a flat (rear tire at 80 psi, 700x29) and there was a lot of Orange Seal all over the back of my bike. Pressure didn't come down much to notice as I finished the ride without noticing that I had a flat though.
Since going tubeless some 4-years back, 3 of which would not have even been noticed had it not been for the Orange Seal Endurance residue on the underside of the downtube or back of the seat tube at the end of the ride. I was running 700x28 and 700x30 Schwalbe tires in these cases and was running ~61F/65R psi and pressure dropped maybe 1-2 psi. In all cases, I used the syringe I use to inject the sealant to 'suck it out' to check the level and then refreshed the sealant but can't say whether the lower volume of sealant was due to the leak being sealed or normal evaporation.
Well, I checked the level of the front tire too by sucking the sealant out and there was a lot more in there, so I lost about an ounce in the rear. I've only ever used Orange Seal endurance and regular too. I've had sealing issues with the endurance. I recently used Milkit but can't comment on its effectiveness yet as its on a hardly ridden mountain bike, but the tires aired up just fine. But, the advantage of Milkit is you don't have to shake the bottle and it's CO2 compatible. OS foams up when shaken, so it's hard to measure how much to install by volume.

Sulliesbrew

by Sulliesbrew

I am looking forward to trying the new sealant. I've been running orange seal sub zero for years now without issue. Never had a flat on a ride (knock on wood), seen a couple people struggle with the whole road tubeless things but I think that is a combo of being a ludite + not an analytical approach to the install/checking tires halfway regularly.

WRT slow leaks, my trainer bike got a freshening of sealant last spring for crit racing then put on the trainer, I need to add air to the front tire monthly to keep it road riding firm, every two months if I let it go pretty much flat. That is on corsa speeds.
Pactimo Brand Ambassador, ask me about a Promo code

Hexsense

by Hexsense

DDX wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:20 pm
"carbon" part is not dangerous. It's the "Fiber" (resin, glue mix, clear coat, etc.) that stick with the carbon that is dangerous.
This type of carbon Silca use lost most of those stuff during the recycle process. Josh claims it's just one heating step away from becoming activated carbon. The stuff people eat to cure diarrhoea.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I still have the tip of a #2 pencil in my palm from 35 years ago. Carbon is mostly harmless. Char on your food is mostly carbon.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Haha yeah but whats carbon without the fibre. Carbon on its own is not very tastey.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Sorry I couldnt resist.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I'm not a doctor, but grinding carbon fiber is not good for the lungs. I suspect the resins wouldn't be either, but I thought the carbon was worst.

MikeD

by MikeD

TobinHatesYou wrote:
MikeD wrote:
From watching the video, it looks like it seals faster than Orange Seal. I recently got a flat (rear tire at 80 psi, 700x29) and there was a lot of Orange Seal all over the back of my bike. Pressure didn't come down much to notice as I finished the ride without noticing that I had a flat though.
Though it was a gravel tire at 40psi and a round puncture right in the centerline of the tread cap. I’d love to see the demo repeated with a popular 25mm tire with a puncture at the shoulder of the sidewall/tread cap…starting from 85psi.
I'd like to see that test too.

robeambro

by robeambro

MikeD wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:09 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
MikeD wrote:
From watching the video, it looks like it seals faster than Orange Seal. I recently got a flat (rear tire at 80 psi, 700x29) and there was a lot of Orange Seal all over the back of my bike. Pressure didn't come down much to notice as I finished the ride without noticing that I had a flat though.
Though it was a gravel tire at 40psi and a round puncture right in the centerline of the tread cap. I’d love to see the demo repeated with a popular 25mm tire with a puncture at the shoulder of the sidewall/tread cap…starting from 85psi.
Or better, a livestream with say 5-10 attempts. I don't care for a video that may well be a cherry-picked successful seal, I want to see it happen repeatedly and with some degree of consistency.
Not that I don't trust Josh, but it would go a long way in giving me some confidence.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MikeD

by MikeD

robeambro wrote:
MikeD wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:09 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
MikeD wrote:
Or better, a livestream with say 5-10 attempts. I don't care for a video that may well be a cherry-picked successful seal, I want to see it happen repeatedly and with some degree of consistency.
Not that I don't trust Josh, but it would go a long way in giving me some confidence.
I don't like what looks like cherry picking either. I want to see a high pressure road tire punctured. One time, I went into the LBS when sealants were just becoming popular. I saw a demonstration where the shop employee punctured a mountain bike tire with an awl, and it sealed instantly (using Stan's); apparently a easy test with fresh sealant and a low pressure tire.

However, Josh impresses me because he does the engineering research and testing to understand how to make a better product and his stuff just works. Until this time, I didn't think solid particles in the sealant made any difference, but he explains why those particles aren't mobile and don't make their way to the puncture.