Silca Ultimate Tubeless Sealant

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mikemelbrooks

by mikemelbrooks

[url] :up: :welcome: [/url]
snaxez wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:23 pm
I understand you can use the replenish liquid with injector, so you would need :welcome: :oops: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: to take the tire off once a year. I suppose the replenish liquid does not include those carbon particles then.
there was another video, where he showed what will hapen to the injector with the sealant: https://youtu.be/aGDPgjh5qnw Ygy66Ygy66ygg
But no mention about the valve stem when deflating the tire for example. I suppose you would need to have the valvestem at 12 oclock :twisted: position, and would need to wait for the foam to turn liquid.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RDY

by RDY

Doubt it's anywhere near as good as OKO Magic Milk Hi Fibre - which for some reason seems to be barely used outside of Pro MTBers ... probably because their marketing budget is virtually zero and cycling isn't their main business.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I don't know about how the rest of you think but I can't justify any purchase price of what I buy for my bike. I enjoy riding and it's the cost of what I enjoy.

Still not sold on the tubeless road bike tire. I don't ride in the dirt/gravel and I can see it may be beneficial but not for the roads I ride on.

MikeD

by MikeD

Deleted

Mocs123

by Mocs123

I'm not 100% sold on road tubeless either, and currently am running tubeless on one bike (with about 60 days on them) and latex tubes on the other. Both 25mm tires. I run 95/100psi in the tube tires and 80/85in the tubeless (79kg) and I can say the lower pressures in the tubeless are more comfortable. The tubeless setup does lose air faster than the latex tubes though - to the point that if I don't ride it for a week it's flat.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

MikeD

by MikeD

Mocs123 wrote:I'm not 100% sold on road tubeless either, and currently am running tubeless on one bike (with about 60 days on them) and latex tubes on the other. Both 25mm tires. I run 95/100psi in the tube tires and 80/85in the tubeless (79kg) and I can say the lower pressures in the tubeless are more comfortable. The tubeless setup does lose air faster than the latex tubes though - to the point that if I don't ride it for a week it's flat.
Tubeless shouldn't leak faster than latex tubes. I find the leak rate is about the same as using butyl tubes. I say either you have a leak somewhere or your tires are porous.

Mocs123

by Mocs123

Tires may be porus (GP5000S-TR) or their could be a leak, but I fought for over an hour to get each tire on the rim and don't want to do that again!
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

bobones

by bobones

RDY wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:42 pm
Doubt it's anywhere near as good as OKO Magic Milk Hi Fibre - which for some reason seems to be barely used outside of Pro MTBers ... probably because their marketing budget is virtually zero and cycling isn't their main business.
Planet X sells it. I bought a litre a couple of years ago and still have 0.9 litres left because it is rubbish compared to Orange Seal.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:04 pm
I am a bit put off by not being able to use an injector. Seems like potentially messy especially with small volume road tyres and not something you want to do on a living room floor.

Also: if the thing is so good at plugging large holes, won't it clog up the valve from the inside? This already happens to some extent with orange seal, and it seems to me like this one is bound to be even more prone to this issue. Josh does not address this in the video.

This. I don't care if it's a little longer lasting than and a little better at sealing than Orange Seal if it's a huge faff to use.

1) Having to buy two different bottles is annoying, especially since the "Replenisher" has a premium cost an is essentially just more carrier (less latex, no fibers.)
2) Not being able to use an injector stinks.
3) The video demo used a thick gravel tire at 40psi right down the center of the tread cap. Show us a puncture on the shoulder of a 25mm road tire at 85psi.
4) Why does the Replenisher only come in a small bottle when most people will end up using more Replenisher than Ultimate sealant over the life of a tire? A lot of talk about being environmentally friendly, but that's wasteful packaging. Reduce > Reuse > Recycle.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Mocs123 wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:55 pm
Tires may be porus (GP5000S-TR) or their could be a leak, but I fought for over an hour to get each tire on the rim and don't want to do that again!

My GP5K S TRs lose way less air than latex tubes do over time. They also aren't particularly hard to mount. I don't know what you're doing wrong, but apparently it's a lot.

MikeD

by MikeD

Mocs123 wrote:Tires may be porus (GP5000S-TR) or their could be a leak, but I fought for over an hour to get each tire on the rim and don't want to do that again!
Put the inflated tire in water. That should show if there's a leak somewhere. If it's the rim tape, you don't want sealant leaking inside the rim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Last edited by MikeD on Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

"I'm just not sold on road tubeless" = either you ride on pristine roads, don't ride enough or are using the wrong sealant/tires/tape/plugs/etc. We've outlined everything there is to outline. Use Orange Seal, green powder coating tape, DynaPlugs... Tires depend on your priorities.

I've gone from regular clinchers constantly causing inner tube punctures once the tread cap gets thin to wearing tubeless tire tread caps all the way to the cord every time. I've gone from flatting once every couple of months with non-worn tires to not having to insert a tube once in the last couple years.

robeambro

by robeambro

May I say that It's rather pointless to come into a new product release thread to just say that you're not sold into tubeless, why you don't ride it, and why you think tubes are better? With all due respect, we don't care and we'd rather talk about this new product - on which you are very welcome to comment.

joshatsilca

by joshatsilca

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:24 pm
aeroisnteverything wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:04 pm
I am a bit put off by not being able to use an injector. Seems like potentially messy especially with small volume road tyres and not something you want to do on a living room floor.

Also: if the thing is so good at plugging large holes, won't it clog up the valve from the inside? This already happens to some extent with orange seal, and it seems to me like this one is bound to be even more prone to this issue. Josh does not address this in the video.

This. I don't care if it's a little longer lasting than and a little better at sealing than Orange Seal if it's a huge faff to use.

1) Having to buy two different bottles is annoying, especially since the "Replenisher" has a premium cost an is essentially just more carrier (less latex, no fibers.)
2) Not being able to use an injector stinks.
3) The video demo used a thick gravel tire at 40psi right down the center of the tread cap. Show us a puncture on the shoulder of a 25mm road tire at 85psi.
4) Why does the Replenisher only come in a small bottle when most people will end up using more Replenisher than Ultimate sealant over the life of a tire? A lot of talk about being environmentally friendly, but that's wasteful packaging. Reduce > Reuse > Recycle.
The carbon fibers just don't seem to enter the valve.. they form a wall on the inside of it that gets blown away when you add air, we have seen less valve plugging than Orange seal over our testing year and way less than something like Stan's race day.

As for the replenisher, it contains more of the time and oxygen sensitive ingredients than the standard sealant which have to stay pristine in order to 'rejuvenate' the old sealant, so you want it to be as fresh as possible when adding. It also comes in a bottle with injector cap with tube that somebody is likely to not replace after using, so we wanted to minimize the risk of somebody adding replenisher that had sat in the injector bottle on a work bench for 18 months.. it wouldn't be very 'replenishing'. As for the cost, 4oz of replenisher is $1 cheaper than the 4oz of Orange Seal in injector bottle, and the other sizes are within a dollar of Orange Seal or Stans MSRP for same size, more notably our $32 oz is $6 cheaper MSRP than Stan's race day which will last 2-3 weeks in your tire and seals with similar effectiveness at low pressures and not quite as well at higher pressures.

Comparing apples to apples, I think we represent a very good bargain.
Owner of SILCA
Check out my Tech Blog: https://blog.silca.cc
Stories of the Tech behind the Tech: https://marginalgainspodcast.cc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Mocs123 wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:04 pm
I'm not 100% sold on road tubeless either, and currently am running tubeless on one bike (with about 60 days on them) and latex tubes on the other. Both 25mm tires. I run 95/100psi in the tube tires and 80/85in the tubeless (79kg) and I can say the lower pressures in the tubeless are more comfortable. The tubeless setup does lose air faster than the latex tubes though - to the point that if I don't ride it for a week it's flat.
I think you can ride the lower pressure using tubes. Atleast i use same pressure as you, with inner tubes, and it works very well.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.