33g Inner Tube - Ridenow TPU

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
macwatt

by macwatt

I installed RideNow tubes yesterday and went for a Fondo on my Tarmac they certainly seem stronger around the valve core than Tubolito tubes. I used tyre pressures from Silca Pro website on my Turbo Cotton tyres 26mm on front and 28mm on the rear the ride seemed very harsh however I I have been using Latex tubes prior to these. My recommendation would be if you have been using butyl tubes and want to save some weight these are a great replacement however if you like the more supple ride that Latex tubes offer then I would stick to Latex as TPU tubes perform very similar to butyl regarding road feel.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

Hum,I didn't feel any difference to latex on the three bikes I've fitted these tubes to.
Having said that, it's not a priority for me so maybe something I'm not sensitive to.

wolflikeme

by wolflikeme

Punctured twice in back to back days but a normal butyl tube would have suffered the same fate (stray pebble worked itself through a cut on the tire the first day and a staple the day after). Ridenow tubes seem to roll okay and hold pressure fine.

Sworks Tarmac SL8 - 7.09kg
LS Ultimate (7.89kg), Tarmac SL7 (7.56kg), Aethos (7.00kg), Venge (7.59 kg), Roubaix Team (7.53 kg) - Sold

macwatt

by macwatt

Once tube is installed without issues and you later get a puncture it's impossible to say if you were using x tubes this wouldn't of happened. I take the stance if you are going to get a puncture you will get regardless the most important to prevent punctures is using the correct tyre pressures. Having tried Silca and SRAM pressure calculators for myself SRAM certainly offers more comfort whether this is faster or slower it's nearly impossible to tell outdoors with constantly changeable weather.

macwatt

by macwatt

Steve Curtis wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:41 pm
Hum,I didn't feel any difference to latex on the three bikes I've fitted these tubes to.
Having said that, it's not a priority for me so maybe something I'm not sensitive to.
Having used tyre pressures from SRAM tyre pressure calculator on a 1 hour ride road feel was much much improved not far off using Latex tubes.

worstje

by worstje

Mine arrived today: 31 g instead of 97 g for the Continental race tube that comes with the GP5000 as a bundle in many shops, so a total saving of >260 g with two spare tubes in my saddle bag. :wink: I will run these in the Alps (Timmelsjoch, Kühtai, Stelvio, etc.) for the next two weeks and report back if I encounter any explosive descents with the Winspace Hyper 50 rim brake version. :shock: :lol:

worstje

by worstje

Did the three aforementioned descents including some others in the past week (about 10,000 meters in total) with the abovementioned configuration and a lot of hard breaking on gradients of up to 20%: I have now absolute confidence in the Ridenow tubes. Rough gravel sections and an involuntary hard hit against a sharp kerbside (jump went bad) did not harm the tubes (GP5000 size is 25-622, tire pressure at about 6.5 bar). Indeed, there is not just a weight difference, but also a different rolling sound compared to butyl tubes.
Last edited by worstje on Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ckspark

by ckspark

Sounds like a great week and good test of the tubes. How would you say the puncture and rolling resistance compares?

biwa

by biwa

What's the consensus on these TPU tubes in carbon clinchers? Avoid?

TLN

by TLN

biwa wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:03 am
I think general consesus was to avoid with rim brakes, due to heat, but perfectly fine in disc brake clinchers.

2 all:
How do you carry tubes with you? I'm a bit worried about throwing into my saddle bag with all the tools and suck, looks fragile.
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

TLN wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:42 am
biwa wrote:
I think general consesus was to avoid with rim brakes, due to heat, but perfectly fine in disc brake clinchers.

2 all:
How do you carry tubes with you? I'm a bit worried about throwing into my saddle bag with all the tools and suck, looks fragile.
I use them in rim and disc carbon wheels with no problem. Lots of big stops from over 60kph @85 kg

worstje

by worstje

ckspark wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:55 am
Sounds like a great week and good test of the tubes. How would you say the puncture and rolling resistance compares?
Puncture resistance is not worse than that of butyl tubes from my point of view. Cannot say anything about rolling resistance, since I doubt that you can really feel the few watts.

worstje

by worstje

TLN wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:42 am
biwa wrote:

2 all:
As mentioned, I had no issues at all during my Alp descents using rim brakes and carbon wheels.
I put each spare tube in a plastic wrapping to avoid contact with moisture in the saddle bag.

jlok

by jlok

you know... it's cheap if you buy in batch of 5... almost like latex price. so... just buy a few and share with your buddies and try it out.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Exar

by Exar

What's the best Ali seller for these? Either the quickest or the cheapest would do. Aliexpress's way of listing/sorting prices (based on the cheapest 'version' of the product, often a patch kit) isn't helpful.
Chains to the right!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com