33g Inner Tube - Ridenow TPU

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
inertianinja

by inertianinja

eucalyptus wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:58 pm
inertianinja wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:18 pm
Do these tubes still lose air randomly without punctures?

Went to ride yesterday and found that the rear wheel had lost about 20psi. No problem with the front.
Filled the rear up, rode 20 miles, no problem.
Woke up this morning, and it's completely flat.

I have to assume it's a puncture or failure somewhere, since the front wheel hasn't lost air - but wanted to make sure it's. not part of living with these RideNow tubes.
That's a puncture had the exact same issue with one of the Revoloop tubes, could never fine the leak because the hole is too small. Like I can pump it up all fine, go for a 50km ride but then leaving it overnight and it will be flat. In these cases you must change tube, good thing they are like 6 bucks a piece now rather than 25 two years ago...

About holding air, they hold up very well. I use 5.5 bar rear and 5 front, after a week of riding they drop somewhere around 0.5 to 0.8 bar
Yea, in the end I just swapped it out. This is what I used to do with butyl tubes - not worth it for me to bother with patching if it meant a risk of another flat, I have too little time available to ride.

For the next round I might try the ones with metal valve stems.

My Vittoria TPU tubes on my other bike have been fine so far.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

micky

by micky

As I changed to a new set of tires, I tried to use these inner tubes and went for a short ride.
All fine till I got back home where I heard the sound of a sort of puncture; I though it was due to white road on my driveway but when I inspected the inner tube, the air was blowing from the junction section.
Am I mistaken or some already experienced this?

inertianinja

by inertianinja

micky wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:30 pm
As I changed to a new set of tires, I tried to use these inner tubes and went for a short ride.
All fine till I got back home where I heard the sound of a sort of puncture; I though it was due to white road on my driveway but when I inspected the inner tube, the air was blowing from the junction section.
Am I mistaken or some already experienced this?
I have. I might be done with this brand until things improve.

I bought 4 tubes, using them in new tires at 80psi.
Front tube has been fine.

Rear tube has failed twice, but only after a ride. Today I did a 50mi ride on a new tube with no problems, got home, took a shower, and found the rear tire flat.

I love riding the tubes but even at low prices I don't have time for this kind of unreliability.

The Vitoria TPU tubes are $35 each but I have not yet had this issue.

nickf

by nickf

Just got in my first 2 Ridenow tubes from Aliexpress, shipped May 28th, and delivered June 13th. No rubber o-ring on either valve. Just going to carry one as a spare to reduce the weight as I carry everything in my jersey pocket. Not giving up latex tubes just yet. The spare butyl I carried before has an 80mm valve and weighs 103g. The Ridenow tube is dead on 36g with a 65mm valve. Between tools and this tube, without losing any functionality I have reduced my flat kit by 128g total. That's a win for my jersey pocket.

ads

by ads

Just to balance the success/failure stories, I've been using these tubes in a Roval Rapide CLX wheelset — 85mm valve in the back and 65mm in the front — and all good. Lose about 1psi per day

inertianinja

by inertianinja

I wonder if it's related to pressure and weight, but I don't feel like mine should be dying.

I'm 167lbs (not super heavy) and I'm riding these at 80psi, on paved roads, riding these on hooked clincher rims with rim tape.

ullmanz

by ullmanz

I have quite negative experiences with them as well.
They seem to be puncturing when I pump them up repeatedly.
The hole is always close to the valve stem.
The first times they are perfectly fine, but then after a week they start being flat the morning after
I'll probably switch back to latex tubes just cause I was running them for a year without a single flat and never was concerned about being out of air mid ride.
Specialized SL7 - 7.1kg including Garmin mount, bottle cages and pedals

inertianinja

by inertianinja

ullmanz wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:58 pm
I have quite negative experiences with them as well.
They seem to be puncturing when I pump them up repeatedly.
The hole is always close to the valve stem.
The first times they are perfectly fine, but then after a week they start being flat the morning after
I'll probably switch back to latex tubes just cause I was running them for a year without a single flat and never was concerned about being out of air mid ride.
I went back and forth with the seller on this. They wanted me to put the tubes in water to show where they were bubbling, but I couldn't get that to happen. So no replacement. However, they did mention that there was a new valve type in development with a clear tube.

With both the rear tubes failing on me without any visible damage, I can't trust them in their current iteration. the vittoria tubes have been fine so far.

sevencyclist

by sevencyclist

I find the most expensive part in the equation of flat tires is the time I spent not riding and fixing and switching tubes. I am more willing to pay a little more on the tubes if they are durable and perform well. I am mixing up the use of Pirelli TPU, Silca Latex, and Continental Race Light Tubes on my sets of wheels to figure out what will get me the mix of lightweight, good rolling, and durability on the road.

inertianinja

by inertianinja

sevencyclist wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:06 pm
I find the most expensive part in the equation of flat tires is the time I spent not riding and fixing and switching tubes. I am more willing to pay a little more on the tubes if they are durable and perform well. I am mixing up the use of Pirelli TPU, Silca Latex, and Continental Race Light Tubes on my sets of wheels to figure out what will get me the mix of lightweight, good rolling, and durability on the road.
100% agree. They could send me 20 free tubes, but i'd rather pay 4x the cost to not have to worry.

inertianinja

by inertianinja

To avoid creating an extra thread on this - has anyone patched a TPU tube using the little adhesive patches (not the cement)?

I had a puncture on my Vittoria TPU tube; I patched it by cleaning the area with alcohol, sticking on the included adhesive patch sticker, applying pressure, letting it sit for about 30 minutes, then re-installing it @ 60PSI. It has held air for the past 8 hours or so, but this is my first time patching a TPU tube - does this sound rideable?

Emmodd

by Emmodd

I've successfully fixed mine with Gorilla waterproof patch and seal tape.

Keykey1985

by Keykey1985

inertianinja wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:26 pm
To avoid creating an extra thread on this - has anyone patched a TPU tube using the little adhesive patches (not the cement)?

I had a puncture on my Vittoria TPU tube; I patched it by cleaning the area with alcohol, sticking on the included adhesive patch sticker, applying pressure, letting it sit for about 30 minutes, then re-installing it @ 60PSI. It has held air for the past 8 hours or so, but this is my first time patching a TPU tube - does this sound rideable?
I patched an Aerothan tube with a standard Schwalbe gluesless patch, held for about a year with ~5000 miles ridden before failing.

inertianinja

by inertianinja

Keykey1985 wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:47 pm
inertianinja wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:26 pm

I patched an Aerothan tube with a standard Schwalbe gluesless patch, held for about a year with ~5000 miles ridden before failing.
Thanks. The Vittoria patch has held so far, including a 42mi ride the other day.

However i separately got a flat on my other bike, tried the same method, and I could not get the patch to adhere to the tube out on the road. might have to be an at-home fix.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

macwatt

by macwatt

Anyone tried the ThinkRider TPU tubes? I've recently received and tried have / had a strange issue with the 85mm valve length which I require for my rear Rapide CLX.

The tubes came with aluminium valve cores non removable I've had the same issue with two tubes on two different tyres on the same rim which has been checked numerous times for any debris which there is none.

My recommended tyre pressure using SRAM tyre pressure calculator is 63 psi for the rear I've felt the rear spongy once I've been out for 20 mins or so but nothing like a puncture at junctions etc I would feel the tyre and it felt ok we'll certainly not punctured. On returning home I've checked rear pressure and the norm and lowest I've recorded is 48 psi. I've removed tubes a few times checked for any leaks by submerging in water but no bubbles and nothing from valve core either.

Tonight I stopped at local bike mechanic for a quick chat I asked if he could check pressure of both tyres front tyre using same brand of TPU but the 65mm length was 60psi and the rear was 48psi. We chatted for a while before leaving he pumped rear tyre back up to 65psi by the time I got home less than 15 minutes the tyre was back down to 48 psi.

I'm at a loss of what the issue is obviously I can't put too much pressure in the tube outside of the tyre but I would've thought it was more than sufficient to find any hole in the tube.

Never had this issue with RideNow tubes on the same rims I only swapped them out as I had damaged the valve core on one tube so swapped both to the ThinkRider tubes.