New Cervelo Soloist Spotted...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

harblhat

by harblhat

Currid wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:51 pm
Does anyone know where I can get a reasonably priced bottom bracket in the UK (ie not £280 for a ceramic speed). Frame arrival imminent.
Not many companies make an asymmetrical T47 BB yet so you're kind of stuck with expensive options. But you can mix the two types: use a T47 external on the drive side and a T47 internal on the non drive side. This way you can get two cheaper T47 BBs if you can find them. Not ideal, but part way there.

steadyuk

by steadyuk

SRAM T47A c£50 if DUB is your thing?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

skinnybex

by skinnybex

Mocs123 wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:41 am
The Soloist looks like a nice option, but all the paint colors look heavy. It would be nice to have a matte carbon or other lightweight paint. I wonder if they were trying to keep the frame weight up to not cannibalize the R5?

Also I'm curious as to why the Reserve wheels come with Zipp hubs? I thought Zipp hubs were just rebranded Novatec/Bitex/Formula hubs and I would have thought Reserve could have just had them rebranded to their brand if they wanted.
Remember the frame is $2699 USD and my Soloist size 54 in Gloss Black weighed 960 grams which is respectable. I suspect that the R5 which comes in around 720 grams Matte Black but for $5500 USD with Stem and Bar with much rounder tube shape but the exact same Geo as the Soloist wouldn't look good for Cervelo concerning sales. The R5 is being outsold by all the other Cervelo models with the exception of the CX bike. I have a Caledonia 5 in that same Matte Black in 54 was a similar weight to my Soloist but 5k.

Regarding the Hubs which are the Low end Zipp hubs that come on the Zipp 303s wheels they have decent engagement and are a similar weight to the DT350 although I'd much prefer the 350's. I was told that it was a supply chain issue in the fall of 2021 when reserve could't get enough hubs and Zipp had excess 76/176 available.
23’ Cervelo Soloist / 6.88kg - 1x Crit Bike
22' Cervelo R5 / 6.35kg - Climbing Bike
22' Cervelo Caledonia 5 / 7.55kg - Travel Bike
21' Cervelo Aspero / 8.06kg - Gravel Travel Bike
23' Cervelo Aspero 5 / 8.25kg - Gravel Race Bike

Mocs123

by Mocs123

skinnybex wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:16 pm

Remember the frame is $2699 USD and my Soloist size 54 in Gloss Black weighed 960 grams which is respectable. I suspect that the R5 which comes in around 720 grams Matte Black but for $5500 USD with Stem and Bar with much rounder tube shape but the exact same Geo as the Soloist wouldn't look good for Cervelo concerning sales. The R5 is being outsold by all the other Cervelo models with the exception of the CX bike. I have a Caledonia 5 in that same Matte Black in 54 was a similar weight to my Soloist but 5k.

Regarding the Hubs which are the Low end Zipp hubs that come on the Zipp 303s wheels they have decent engagement and are a similar weight to the DT350 although I'd much prefer the 350's. I was told that it was a supply chain issue in the fall of 2021 when reserve could't get enough hubs and Zipp had excess 76/176 available.
It seems like they are trying to keep the weight differnce significant enough between the Soloist and the R5 to be able to justify the R5. My guess is a minimal paint job would drop the Soloist frame by 150g as all of the Soloist paint jobs look heavy with the gloss and metallic flake. I wonder what someone could build out a Soloist frame at if they sanded it down and put a clear coat on it and mated it with Dura Ace and some lighter componants. My guess you could get it close to the UCI limit.

As for the Zipp hubs, I guess that makes sense, I do think DT Swiss hubs were hard to come by the past couple of years.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

inertianinja

by inertianinja

incidentally i emailed Cervelo recently asking if the frame could be ordered unpainted or with custom paint; sadly the answer was no.

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

If people have been using different bars and stems, how easy/hard is that? What would a Zipp stem+bar combo mean for cable routing?

jch3n

by jch3n

twoangstroms wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:20 am
If people have been using different bars and stems, how easy/hard is that? What would a Zipp stem+bar combo mean for cable routing?
Simplest case is cables external under the bars, under the stem, and into the frame from the headset cover. This would apply to all Zipp stem+bar combos except for the SL-70 Aero handlebar which has internal routing through the bar.

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

Thanks. I was eyeing that exact handlebar – that sounds still doable, just more work to do the routing?

harblhat

by harblhat

Cable routing is quite simple, slightly more complicated if you have an internally routed bar. The entry into the frame is a hole, no more. Just make sure the cables are on the correct side of the steerer as you install the stem and compression plug and that's it. If running mechanical, running the housing through the frame (before you install the BB) is also simple because the inside of the frame has lots of space.

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

Thanks again! Now, just to solve the availability issue.

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

Saw one at the race today in the gold color. Looked really nice! It was a 61cm, though, so I literally couldn't even swing a leg over. It (and its rider) placed well!

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

Nm

Sock3t

by Sock3t

twoangstroms wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:29 am
Saw one at the race today in the gold color. Looked really nice! It was a 61cm, though, so I literally couldn't even swing a leg over. It (and its rider) placed well!
I saw the white in the sunlight at a race yesterday. It was beautiful with the pearl in the paint.

I'd love a gold soloist but they're as rare as hens teeth.

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

Can confirm!

I haven't weighed mine yet (swapped out the stem already) and I don't have more than a bathroom scale, but I'm already figuring I can save a lot of weight by swapping out that stem, bars, and getting race wheels with tubeless (stock comes with heavy tubes and tires).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jere

by Jere

Hi
I got a Gold 54cm Di2 105 group , well a shifter group Cervelo put a crap crank on it.
I replaced the crank,handlebars,stem,seat,and wheel set.
Farsport 45mm wheels 1200 grams
Continental 5000 tires latex tubes
Seat 180 grams
Ultera crank
Dura ace cassette
Look titanium petals
Cervelo R5 handlebars
Richie stem
It came down from over 19 lbs to just under 17 lbs.
I was a little disappointed, but I have to say after the first ride it was forgotten.
It handles like my R5 a little stiffer and not as flaky as my old S5 in the wind.
I'm a old man and 145 lbs