New Cervelo Soloist Spotted...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

Steve Curtis wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:22 am
Cherry picking some info

the Soloist has about 190g more drag than the current S5, which is one of the most aerodynamically efficient designs currently. That 190g aero penalty at the 30mph (48km/h) Cervelo tested the Soloist at, translates to a difference of roughly 22 watts, pretty substantial. At the more realistic speed of low to mid 30km/h that most of us average, that gap would narrow to somewhere between 10 – 15w. Compared to the R5 though, the Soloist is another 126g of drag faster, or about 14 watts less at 48km/h.

The weight too is between the R5 and S5. The claimed weight for the Soloist Frame comes in at 919g and fork is 374g, for a size 56 painted. That’s 261g heavier than the R5, but still 154g lighter than the S5. My 48cm test bike, in stock configuration without pedals or bottle cages, weighs 7.71kg.
i always wonder if the drag/watt loss is caused by the position of the rider (allowed by the frame geometry) or all those tube shaping resulting in this reduction.
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dexvd

by dexvd

So it sounds like only a 43g weight difference between the Soloist combined fork and frame (~1293g) and SL7 (~1336g). Looking forward to seeing how the frame drag will compare, I believe from Tour (gathered from here) new Propel is 209 watts, SL7 210 watts. The 19 R5 was 223 watts is that the current version or is the 2022 version new? If it is the same the Soloist should be ~209 watts.

Deciding between the Propel, SL7 and Soloist won't be on weight or aero and can all be down to things like handling, compliance, comfort, spec and pricing.

Comparing the same priced Soloist Ultegra Di2 to the SL7 Expert (Ultegra Di2), in Canada, same price but think the Reserve wheels on the Soloist may be considered better than the SL7's C38s. Specialized is gonna have to hold steady or reduce their 2023 SL7 prices for lower specs to compete with the Soloist.

Stueys

by Stueys

dexvd wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:59 pm
So it sounds like only a 43g weight difference between the Soloist combined fork and frame (~1293g) and SL7 (~1336g). Looking forward to seeing how the frame drag will compare, I believe from Tour (gathered from here) new Propel is 209 watts, SL7 210 watts. The 19 R5 was 223 watts is that the current version or is the 2022 version new? If it is the same the Soloist should be ~209 watts.
Not really an aero bar on the bike either, be interesting to see what gains a fully aero bar would give.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

I assume the carbon is lower grade than the 5-series bikes?
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

stevec1975

by stevec1975

Looks a bit like the 2019-2021 S3, but with a less Aero Bar/Stem area (but a lighter frame/fork)

moock

by moock

The frame should be compatible with the FSA ACR System, right??

Any Info on availability ?

bananastand

by bananastand

Steve Curtis wrote:Cherry picking some info

the Soloist has about 190g more drag than the current S5, which is one of the most aerodynamically efficient designs currently. That 190g aero penalty at the 30mph (48km/h) Cervelo tested the Soloist at, translates to a difference of roughly 22 watts, pretty substantial. At the more realistic speed of low to mid 30km/h that most of us average, that gap would narrow to somewhere between 10 – 15w. Compared to the R5 though, the Soloist is another 126g of drag faster, or about 14 watts less at 48km/h.

The weight too is between the R5 and S5. The claimed weight for the Soloist Frame comes in at 919g and fork is 374g, for a size 56 painted. That’s 261g heavier than the R5, but still 154g lighter than the S5. My 48cm test bike, in stock configuration without pedals or bottle cages, weighs 7.71kg.
Yeah my guess is it is a lot closer to the S5 with the deeper reserve wheels, narrower bar (equivalent to stock S5), and a proper aero bar without tape.

They nailed it with this. Race geo, great price, especially on frame only. Definitely want!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Stueys wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:44 pm
dexvd wrote:
Not really an aero bar on the bike either, be interesting to see what gains a fully aero bar would give.
Speaking from the experience of comparing my 2 bikes day in day out, a full aero frame and deep wheels don't make much difference in normal riding compared to a semi aero frame and slightly shallower wheels.

I do think body positioning plays an outsized role in cycling aero and if you have the same positioning on a full aero and semi aero bike, then it'll usually be a wash in day to day rides, although feel will be different.

A TT could be a different story of course, the sustained speeds are consistently higher (over 25mph) where the refined aero results in a measurable gain. For most recreational riders, who may touch 25mph for a few hundred meters, it's pretty much a wash.

So yeah the SL7 does well even though it's not a Venge, the Soloist will do well even though it's not a R5 and the new Propel will do well too.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

Nickldn wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:37 pm
Stueys wrote:
dexvd wrote:
Speaking from the experience of comparing my 2 bikes day in day out, a full aero frame and deep wheels don't make much difference in normal riding compared to a semi aero frame and slightly shallower wheels.

I do think body positioning plays an outsized role in cycling aero and if you have the same positioning on a full aero and semi aero bike, then it'll usually be a wash in day to day rides, although feel will be different.

A TT could be a different story of course, the sustained speeds are consistently higher (over 25mph) where the refined aero results in a measurable gain. For most recreational riders, who may touch 25mph for a few hundred meters, it's pretty much a wash.

So yeah the SL7 does well even though it's not a Venge, the Soloist will do well even though it's not a R5 and the new Propel will do well too.
The SL7 only tested 2 watts slower than the Venge despite being on shallower wheels. The Propel is at 208 while being on wheels that are shallower than the wheels used on the SS, S5, etc. Something tells me Cervelo purposely made the Soloist not as light as they could have for a little higher price because it would have cannibalized the others

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

This bike's pricepoint is awesome. And review says that it's super comfy. Kinda makes me want to get a frameset and build it up with 105 electronic

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

Very interesting, how different the ride impressions were between the CyclingTips and the BIkeradar reviews: the former talks about punishing feel on the front and back, while the last calls it a very smooth and comfy ride. Looking forward to hearing more hands-on (and butts-on) impressions.

prebsy

by prebsy

The obvious comparison is the SL7 but the pricing is nearly on par with the allez sprint :shock: 105 builds @ ( $3400 vs $3000)

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

prebsy wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:54 pm
The obvious comparison is the SL7 but the pricing is nearly on par with the allez sprint :shock: 105 builds @ ( $3400 vs $3000)
Very interested in the 105 mechanical build now. That pricepoint is bang on for me

mistergoober

by mistergoober

Is it just me or does it look very similar to the Seka Exceed? BB, Seat Tube, Steerer Area, shape of the tubes overall etc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nickldn

by Nickldn

CAAD8FRED wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:24 pm
Nickldn wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:37 pm
Stueys wrote:
dexvd wrote:

The SL7 only tested 2 watts slower than the Venge despite being on shallower wheels. The Propel is at 208 while being on wheels that are shallower than the wheels used on the SS, S5, etc. Something tells me Cervelo purposely made the Soloist not as light as they could have for a little higher price because it would have cannibalized the others
Would expect an aero bar and good wheels to bring the Soloist's scores up a fair bit. As you say it's all about keeping sales on the S5 strong, as it's probably a higher margin product.

My view is that most recreational riders will not notice any real difference between a S5 and a Soloist with aero bars and good wheels.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress