new frame rumors for 2023?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Personally I think they look pretty decent .. how did they get on with the btwin range before? I believe that was decathlons previous effort into road bike market and peloton... I don't remember seeing many on the road tho or perhaps thats when I was taking a break from riding...

Basso Diamante eps 12

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:42 am
Personally I think they look pretty decent Image.. how did they get on with the btwin range before? I believe that was decathlons previous effort into road bike market and peloton... I don't remember seeing many on the road tho Image or perhaps thats when I was taking a break from riding...

Basso Diamante eps 12
At the lower end B'Twin's and Triban's are all over the place, I see them daily on my commute.

A high end Van Rysel is a bike you'd buy with your head, not your heart.
I'd buy one discounted as it'd probably be cheaper than buying the parts individually.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Tbh Im looking at it more from a racers point of view. So much more with head rather than heart.

Basso Diamante eps 12

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Been mailing with Koga.

No answer talkin BB version.
Regarding geometry table, make your own opinion from the copied answer below!

All 4 models come with drop handlebars and are suitable for road as road bikes. The models start from € 4,199.

What the specifications will be are not yet officially known. I hope there will be more clarity on that in a few weeks. Until then, we will have to wait some more.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Lina

by Lina

wheelsONfire wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:07 pm
Been mailing with Koga.

No answer talkin BB version.
Regarding geometry table, make your own opinion from the copied answer below!

All 4 models come with drop handlebars and are suitable for road as road bikes. The models start from € 4,199.

What the specifications will be are not yet officially known. I hope there will be more clarity on that in a few weeks. Until then, we will have to wait some more.
€ 4,199 sounds great. What I find more important is how the cable routing is done than what BB it has. All the BB standards currently in use are usable. But some of the cable integration "solutions" are something I'm not going to deal with. Hoping it has a sensible solution, but all bets are off since it's their first? attempt at it.

ViperFFM

by ViperFFM

Nickldn wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:30 am

a bike from Specialized/Giant/Cervelo/other well known and quality brands.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
carbonLORD wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:23 am
I'm a CAT 3 Masters racer, not a dentist.

js

by js

One extra point that seems to be lost in the Decathlon vs Canyon discussion is that Decathlon's physical locations may actually offer the opportunity (for many) to actually test ride the bikes. Even just being able to lay hands on them is better than nothing.

As someone who lives in what I'll lovingly refer to as an 'underserviced' bike market, I've purchased all my bikes for the last twenty years without seeing or riding them first. There is an extensive LBS network in my city, but I've mostly been riding high-end bikes and I'm 192cm, so no one ever brings those in as floor models.

If my local Decathlon were willing to bring in my size of a bike I was interested in and my test ride told me it was measurably better than the bike I'm on now (which is a high-end model from a major brand, but one that's 5 years old now), I suspect that and it maybe being $1,000 less than other offerings would be enough for me to not care if I'm riding a bike that's 110% better than my current bike vs 115% better.

That's very likely a sale made, in a way Canyon and other mail-order companies can't. Sure they can mail things out with a guarantee, but that's a lot more hassle than going into a local shop without committing anything more than the time to test ride.

batonb

by batonb

Has anyone seen lower grades of new Koga Kinsei road bike? 105 and Ultegra? I've only seen pictures from Velofollies that show Purple and Orange bikes Rival/Dura-ace. On one shot there is seemingly all black bike, but it is bad angle, so not much detail.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

js wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:12 pm
One extra point that seems to be lost in the Decathlon vs Canyon discussion is that Decathlon's physical locations may actually offer the opportunity (for many) to actually test ride the bikes. Even just being able to lay hands on them is better than nothing.
It's not lost. If was mentioned above and correctly pointed out that stores are not likely to carry it. The most expensive bikes you see there are around $1000

C36

by C36

BigBoyND wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:18 am
js wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:12 pm
It's not lost. If was mentioned above and correctly pointed out that stores are not likely to carry it. The most expensive bikes you see there are around $1000
That depends a lot on the shop and where it is. In Paris downtown you will find entry level and ebikes, but other will have the whole range (4ke) in both road and MBT (near the Alps and in few shops in Spain I am familiar with).
While I don't know what their strategy will be (some of their kits are available on demand and that works well but they also released a Ti Gravel bike that was available on pre-order... not somethin attractive one bit) but having physical shops can only be a good extra, any warranty claim, any shipping, any return will be way better managed than Canyon. For advanced maintenance... your specialized LBS will be there.
Last edited by C36 on Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

maquisard

by maquisard

C36 wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:29 am
That depends a lot on the shop and where it is. In Paris downtown you will find entry level and ebikes, but other will have the whole range (4ke) in both road and MBT (near the Alps and in few shops in Spain I am familiar with).
Agree, my local Decathlon in Valence has high end equipments and I would say the mechanics are as good as in any other high-end bike store.

batonb

by batonb

I've found photo of 105 di2 Kinsei
Attachments
CE0ADBF8-F68D-4ABC-B091-C3A8148CD781.png

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

So the Koga downtube has no shaping to account for bottles? Looks like a frame that is built to be fast in the tunnel without bottles but will lose out on the road compared to something like the S5.

Also looks a lot like the Simplon, just with a standard stem: seat stay, head tube, flush stem, etc.

RDY

by RDY

BigBoyND wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:03 pm
So the Koga downtube has no shaping to account for bottles? Looks like a frame that is built to be fast in the tunnel without bottles but will lose out on the road compared to something like the S5.

Also looks a lot like the Simplon, just with a standard stem: seat stay, head tube, flush stem, etc.
Narrow downtube and aero bottle is faster than flared downtube and conventional bidon - obviously. Regardless, the amount of faring is massive on this frame vs the S5, and it looks the head tube is right at the UCI limit. And tire clearance appears virtually non-existent. I doubt the S5 is close either real world or wind tunnel. Plus fit options are going to be way better for this than the S5, given the conventional front end.

Would I ride it? Probably not as I highly doubt I could fit a big enough tire for me to not be slower on hour plus rides on shitty roads than a non-aero frame. But there was talk of a race and non-race version previously ... the latter allegedly being a bit more comfort oriented geo, and you'd hope wider tire clearance. No sightings of that since the initial pre-production bikes were shown though. So perhaps it was canned.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

The slightly deeper tube shapes will not make up for the aero brick of a standard unfaired water bottle.

Sure an aero bottle would be faster, but who uses one? I never see them in the pro peloton, local group rides, or any sort of races other than TT. I'd guess fewer than 1% of people use aero bottles, including aero weenies.

If it's slower with regular bottles than an S5 (as an example), then will just be a slower bike for most people.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com