new frame rumors for 2023?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Wonder if the new Factor O2 is meant to be an Aethos killer Interesting that they are still pursuing frame weight as a goal. Will be even more interesting if the pros find it good enough to ride in the Tour.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Kayrehn wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:51 am
Wonder if the new Factor O2 is meant to be an Aethos killer Image Interesting that they are still pursuing frame weight as a goal. Will be even more interesting if the pros find it good enough to ride in the Tour.
The Aethos is shaped that way for a reason. Round tubes have the best strength-to-weight. By making a heavily flattened TT, Factor is already deprioritizing weight seemingly for the sake of vertical compliance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

extrusionedwin

by extrusionedwin

Sanders2177

by Sanders2177

It was only a matter of time!!
Or maybe the owner was not told the max rider weight limit!
Or a disgruntled employee missed out that ply of Carbon or two from the layup drawing 😂
Attachments
D2B3C902-CC12-4ADA-A5A2-E5D21160B8F8.png
S Works SL8 54cm 5.94kgs
Winspace SLC M Ultegra R8150 no idea of kgs

alanyu

by alanyu

That rider (100 kg IIRC) doesn't break the weight limit of Madone gen 7 (125 kg)

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

alanyu wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:35 am
That rider (100 kg IIRC) doesn't break the weight limit of Madone gen 7 (125 kg)

Chain’s off. Did he crash as a result of the seattube failure or did he crash and cause a seatpost failure?

Another possibility: seatmast wasn’t torqued to spec, he hit a bump and the seatmast slipped down and perforated the bottom of the seattube on impact, compromising its structure entirely.

alanyu

by alanyu

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:38 am
alanyu wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:35 am

Chain’s off. Did he crash as a result of the seattube failure or did he crash and cause a seatpost failure?

Another possibility: seatmast wasn’t torqued to spec, he hit a bump and the seatmast slipped down and perforated the bottom of the seattube on impact, compromising its structure entirely.
Found the screenshot I saw before.
40f582cb39dbb6fd2906d8e84c24ab18962b3749.jpg

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

pmprego wrote:
ronanmclaughlin wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:36 pm
Looks like a new Factor on the way soon https://escapecollective.com/is-a-new-f ... ming-soon/
It would be a contender for me if... they would steepen the seat tube angle a bit. The 73/73 angles are traditional aka as old school/outdated :mrgreen:
Outdated? How so?

Bike manufacturers have to ensure their geometry accommodates a wide range of builds. By steepening the STA past 73° on the medium to larger sizes they exclude a chunk of potential buyers. That makes no commercial sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

TLN wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:09 am
lazyriderzhao wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:57 pm
any more info about new factor o2?
coming soon, since I just got an extremely good deal on current generation from one of the stores.
Those bikes are way less stiff than Ostro. But it seems common for Factor. Even their combo has been told to not be so stiff.
I wonder if the new gravel stem/bar version (which i think they sell for road bikes to) are stiffer.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

extrusionedwin wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:05 am
When Reacto came out, i think it had a really cool look. These days so many bikes are shaped like this.
It's like all make versions of same concept. Perhaps this is why Madone did that magic hole?
Is this just a pearl white edition, no updates to the design?
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

alanyu

by alanyu

wheelsONfire wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:04 am

When Reacto came out, i think it had a really cool look. These days so many bikes are shaped like this.
It's like all make versions of same concept. Perhaps this is why Madone did that magic hole?
Is this just a pearl white edition, no updates to the design?
Just a new paint.

pmprego

by pmprego

ultimobici wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:57 am
pmprego wrote:
ronanmclaughlin wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:36 pm
Looks like a new Factor on the way soon https://escapecollective.com/is-a-new-f ... ming-soon/
It would be a contender for me if... they would steepen the seat tube angle a bit. The 73/73 angles are traditional aka as old school/outdated :mrgreen:
Outdated? How so?

Bike manufacturers have to ensure their geometry accommodates a wide range of builds. By steepening the STA past 73° on the medium to larger sizes they exclude a chunk of potential buyers. That makes no commercial sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They could then offer more than one setback seatpost option. Nonetheless, specialized is probably the most successful bike and for size 54/M it has a 74° Sta for quite some years now. Yet, most brands are placing their sta in size M in the 73.6-37.8° ballpark. Keeping it at 73° I consider it to be old-school because of this.

The Factor gravel/road new handlebar is quite heavy for an integrated bar so I imagine it must be rather stiff.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I personally wouldn't get along with a too far forward position. My bike has a rather slack angle, i even have the saddle pushed all way backwards.
But i also ride a TT saddle which might explain that. For those far forward positions framesets, i would for sure need an offset seatpost.
But yeah, those having the cleats pushed way back might like forward position and lower saddle height.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

pmprego

by pmprego

wheelsONfire wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:49 am
I personally wouldn't get along with a too far forward position. My bike has a rather slack angle, i even have the saddle pushed all way backwards.
But i also ride a TT saddle which might explain that. For those far forward positions framesets, i would for sure need an offset seatpost.
But yeah, those having the cleats pushed way back might like forward position and lower saddle height.
My point is that a setback seatpost can kind of take you a lot backwards but there isnt much "negative setback" seatposts (sctually, I think giant has this but it's the only one).

In my case, from two different bikefit, I have my saddle slammed forward on a zero setback seatpost and 73.3° sta. I guess I have really long legs compared to unusually short arms.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

pmprego wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:12 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:49 am
My point is that a setback seatpost can kind of take you a lot backwards but there isnt much "negative setback" seatposts (sctually, I think giant has this but it's the only one).

In my case, from two different bikefit, I have my saddle slammed forward on a zero setback seatpost and 73.3° sta. I guess I have really long legs compared to unusually short arms.
But how does it make your back feel?
I have test to move my cleats rearward several occasions over the years, but i always end up feeling restrained in some way.
It's like the whole body feels awkward.
I rode more forward before, but i don't know what happened, all of a sudden it just felt bad.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com