new frame rumors for 2023?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jlok

by jlok

CustomMetal wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:38 am
If we had a large image with all the current frames, but all black with no logos.. how many could you name at a glance without having to double take? The Trek Madone definitely... most others, even the S5 you might double take and question Bianchi?
I have just asked the same question to my friends...
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Everything’s an SL7.

Though this kind of quiz would have been even harder in the days before carbon.

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

Oh the pinarello obviously
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

CustomMetal wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:48 am
Oh the pinarello obviously

Scott Foil. Lapierre Xelius/Aircode. Cube Litening Aero with its weirdly skinny seatpost.

C36

by C36

CustomMetal wrote:If we had a large image with all the current frames, but all black with no logos.. how many could you name at a glance without having to double take? The Trek Madone definitely... most others, even the S5 you might double take and question Bianchi?
It has been done few years ago and it was way easier than expected. We focus on dropped seatstays but you have plenty of other details. You have all the unique designs (Dogma, S5, madone, aeroad, system6, the bizarre Bianchi) and then in the allrounders the they all have their unique features, trek as the external seatpost, last SSevo4 the deep section seattube, the Sl7 the rounder head tube, the BMC the special tube shapes…

I wonder what we would have said if forums were a thing in the 90s where bikes were made out of the same tubes!

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

C36 wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:02 am
CustomMetal wrote:If we had a large image with all the current frames, but all black with no logos.. how many could you name at a glance without having to double take? The Trek Madone definitely... most others, even the S5 you might double take and question Bianchi?
It has been done few years ago and it was way easier than expected. We focus on dropped seatstays but you have plenty of other details. You have all the unique designs (Dogma, S5, madone, aeroad, system6, the bizarre Bianchi) and then in the allrounders the they all have their unique features, trek as the external seatpost, last SSevo4 the deep section seattube, the Sl7 the rounder head tube, the BMC the special tube shapes…

I wonder what we would have said if forums were a thing in the 90s where bikes were made out of the same tubes!

Yep, even something like the silly wart for the seatpost binder bolt on the Wilier Zero SL.

robeambro

by robeambro

CustomMetal wrote:
If we had a large image with all the current frames, but all black with no logos.. how many could you name at a glance without having to double take? The Trek Madone definitely... most others, even the S5 you might double take and question Bianchi?
Thing is, most brands keep design cues, little bits of brand identity and design language that make their bikes identifiable across generations, whether it be a more "square" design (BMC), sculpted head tubes (Trek), or whatever. Yes, you wouldn't distinguish them from a 2D blacked-out image, but you could still tell in real life. With this bike, the only "Ridley cue" that I can clearly see is the "kinked downtube" (don't know what to call it) around where the headtube touches the fork, which has been brought forward from the Kanzo. I am not a Ridley aficionado myself but had I seen that frame I could have probably guessed it was a Ridley without seeing any branding.

Lina

by Lina

CustomMetal wrote:
How many steel frames could you tell apart from eachother if the branding was removed? That's going to be a lot harder than trying to distinguish between these modern bikes. Most of these bikes actually have design cues that makes recognising them without the branding quite easily possible. Try doing the same with classic steel frames.

ivonenand

by ivonenand

lazyriderzhao wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:45 am
FALCN RS
641c3416ly1heig971fysj218g0rradm.jpg
微信截图_20230601144141.png
OIP-C.jpg
Well, the guy doing the photoshop on these renders did not deserve his paycheck that month. One, he photoshopped the old Force on the frame and second, I've never seen a bike in my life, who's chain would go around the sprockets in that way :shock:

Karvalo

by Karvalo

CustomMetal wrote:
You could name more now than ever before. Anyone who would confuse the S5 and new Oltre wouldn't be able to pick any other frames out of a lineup anyway - the stems that point upwards are the only bits of the two bikes that look even remotely similar.

toxin

by toxin

CustomMetal wrote:
deadass, you'd think they're all using the same mold

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

CustomMetal wrote:
I wonder which frame truly ushered in the modern design language we see nowadays. Of course the industry revolves around the SL7 right now but I think that the '18 Rose X-Lite minus the exposed cables wouldn't look so out of place today

r_mutt

by r_mutt

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 8:46 pm
r_mutt wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 1:31 pm
I agreee with the idea that Specilized has no where to go unless they make it 10g lighter and perhaps hid the cables. TBH, I don't see many of these on the road.

Horses for courses, I see fewer Aethos and more SL7s in crits and flat road races. I start to see some in hilly road races. I see a few on my large race pace group rides, and I see a ton on our hilly cul-de-sac sprint group rides in the hills.

One disadvantage of the Aethos is the S-Works is subtly branded and from afar it looks like any round tubed bike, so they are easy to miss.
agreed - easy to miss as they aren't as distinctive as some other frames.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

StiffWeenies wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:32 pm
CustomMetal wrote:
I wonder which frame truly ushered in the modern design language we see nowadays. Of course the industry revolves around the SL7 right now but I think that the '18 Rose X-Lite minus the exposed cables wouldn't look so out of place today

2017 saw the SL6 and Teammachine. BMC already had dropped seatstays for a while.

r_mutt

by r_mutt

IIRC, the BMC Team Machine from 2012 was the first frame with dropped seatstays. There was also a Racemachine in standard BMC white/black/red and a really fetching one in turquoise/orange/black. The colors matched my team colors at the time and I really wanted one!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com