new frame rumors for 2023?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

inertianinja

by inertianinja

Since we're back on Specialized - I heard some speculation that the Aethos would be discontinued and essentially absorbed into the SL8, as if the Aethos was just an engineering project.

Again this was just a YouTuber speculating, but I am actually in the market for an Aethos this year, I hope this isn't true.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

inertianinja wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:11 pm
Since we're back on Specialized - I heard some speculation that the Aethos would be discontinued and essentially absorbed into the SL8, as if the Aethos was just an engineering project.

Again this was just a YouTuber speculating, but I am actually in the market for an Aethos this year, I hope this isn't true.

It was Outdoorbros and, no, I don't think so. The Aethos is selling well enough to justify its existence. Unless Specialized can drop the Tarmac's weight by 200-250g, there's room for both. Additionally it's the bike for people who don't want fully integrated cabling and integrated cockpits, but do want a 27.2mm round seatpost.

inertianinja

by inertianinja

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:32 pm
inertianinja wrote:

It was Outdoorbros and, no, I don't think so. The Aethos is selling well enough to justify its existence. Unless Specialized can drop the Tarmac's weight by 200-250g, there's room for both. Additionally it's the bike for people who don't want fully integrated cabling and integrated cockpits, but do want a 27.2mm round seatpost.
Right. I generally find that channel to have very good and level-headed reviews and commentary, so it stuck with me.

From all the reviews of the Aethos, it seems like a great complement to my Ostro.
Whereas one is a stiff aero not-heavy-but-not-WW race bike, the Aethos trades aero for lightness and is apparently more compliant.

For Bike #2 I'd want something very different - not just another aggressive bike with dropped seat stays and aero features :)

maquisard

by maquisard

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Additionally it's the bike for people who don't want fully integrated cabling and integrated cockpits, but do want a 27.2mm round seatpost.
This is why I bought mine, simple to maintain and fantastic ride quality.

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

Yea the way the Aethos has been selling I'd be surprised if they discontinued it. I have an SL7 right now but have been eyeing one for days I don't care about going fast, just want a fun ride.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

TobinHatesYou wrote:
inertianinja wrote:

But didn't someone on WW say just that? It will lose "a LOT of weight"?

Maddie

by Maddie

54 Aethos frame without paint: 530g
54 SL7 frame without paint: 714g
If Specialized is going to lose the stiffness layers on the SL8, then we can expect something like 60-90g less on 54 size frame. But I'd say weight loss will not be their first priority

niftyz

by niftyz

In the market for sl7 right now , not sure to wait it out for an sl8

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

maquisard

by maquisard

Bianchi Arcadex levels of ugly!

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

They made it sound like Specialized had the patent granted already, which I feel would be bad news for Rondo. Either way, I still think it's a cool design on paper but would be terrible in practice. 1x only, and only 1 bottle in the triangle are both hard passes to me by themselves, let alone together. I'm glad to see new designs that break the mold of traditional frame designs, but at the end of the day it has to be functional.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

Volsung

by Volsung

You could probably do a classified hub which gets you partway there.

MichaelK

by MichaelK

LanceLegstrong wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:35 pm
They made it sound like Specialized had the patent granted already, which I feel would be bad news for Rondo. Either way, I still think it's a cool design on paper but would be terrible in practice. 1x only, and only 1 bottle in the triangle are both hard passes to me by themselves, let alone together. I'm glad to see new designs that break the mold of traditional frame designs, but at the end of the day it has to be functional.
Why not break the mould of 1x and hydration while you're at it then?

Like Volsung says you've got the new Classified system. You could get 14 gears from a Rohloff hub. Why bother with bottles? Something like a crank-tank hydration inside the main triangle, maybe a small tool pack a la the BMC Time Machine above the BB.

robeambro

by robeambro

That top tube kink is atrocious.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NotYou

by NotYou

LanceLegstrong wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:35 pm
As the article reads, Rondo seems to be able to prove they had this frame design going before specialized even started to work on it - and while I didn't study law, this should put them in a rather safe spot.