Freehub compatibility Shimano 11s > 12s

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spencerb

by spencerb

Maddie wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:03 pm
So, my tests are completed. There are two solutions, both work just fine. Either remove the glued ring and re-install the cassette without the ring according to @Mike1 or add a 0.5mm shim ring with an ID of 35 or 34mm. DIN 988 shim rings work fine for that. I used a ID35 / OD45 shim ring.

Problem resolved, cassette stays true.

I already saw that not only Farsports hub are affected by this. I think we will see more cases in the future.
Hi Maddie, thanks for looking into this. I'm having the same issue this week. I took off the adhesive ring on the back of the cassette and it seems to have solved it. Is this solution still working for you almost a year later? Are you using the DIN 988 washer or no?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Maddie

by Maddie

I'm not using a spacer and yes, it's still working great without the adhesive ring on both Ultegra and Dura Ace 12s cassettes.
What wheels are you using?

spencerb

by spencerb

Awesome, glad to hear it. I'm using the Alexrims Boondocks that came with my gravel rig for now. I plan to upgrade at some point, but wanted to ride these for a while so I can figure out what I really want. If I hadn't found this solution, it might've forced my hand. So thanks!

milanv

by milanv

From this thread viewtopic.php?t=156208
milanv wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:35 pm
So, several hours of mechanic job and here we go with the update of clicking a wobbling problem of my Ultegra cassettes on new wheelset. :wink: :smartass:

1. New cassette on the freehub wobbles and the 5th cog clicking problem remains. :|
2. Old cassette on the freehub wobbles less but still wobbles, the 5th cog clicking problem remains. :|
3. Old cassette without the glued ring and the special Shimano 1mm ring behind, it wobbles more than with the glued ring :x + it does not have ideal freehub movement when tightening to the correct tighten moment. :unbelievable: :x
4. Old cassette without the glued ring, voilà, it does not wobble. :) :beerchug: + the 5th cog clicking problem is lesser, it remains, but it is very very tiny.
Maddie wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:00 am
If there's a wobble, chances are it's from the little ring that is glued to the back of the cassette (biggest cog). I recomend removing it
:beerchug: I had to give it a minor adjustment in eTube Shimano app, but it is many times better and I can live with it at the moment.
I estimate that several people will not spot it.

dragosh02

by dragosh02

milanv wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:22 am
From this thread viewtopic.php?t=156208
milanv wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:35 pm
So, several hours of mechanic job and here we go with the update of clicking a wobbling problem of my Ultegra cassettes on new wheelset. :wink: :smartass:

1. New cassette on the freehub wobbles and the 5th cog clicking problem remains. :|
2. Old cassette on the freehub wobbles less but still wobbles, the 5th cog clicking problem remains. :|
3. Old cassette without the glued ring and the special Shimano 1mm ring behind, it wobbles more than with the glued ring :x + it does not have ideal freehub movement when tightening to the correct tighten moment. :unbelievable: :x
4. Old cassette without the glued ring, voilà, it does not wobble. :) :beerchug: + the 5th cog clicking problem is lesser, it remains, but it is very very tiny.
Maddie wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:00 am
If there's a wobble, chances are it's from the little ring that is glued to the back of the cassette (biggest cog). I recomend removing it
:beerchug: I had to give it a minor adjustment in eTube Shimano app, but it is many times better and I can live with it at the moment.
I estimate that several people will not spot it.
Didn't catch that really well.
So from point 4 I understand that I should remove only the glued ring and keep the "special Shimano 1mm ring behind"?
Wich one is the special Shimano 1mm ring? I've got only one metal ring of 0.3mm.
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2023-01-23 at 11.22.15.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-01-23 at 11.22.17.jpeg

DeathClassic

by DeathClassic

I think he means removing the glued ring and running no spacer at all.

milanv

by milanv

DeathClassic wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:05 am
You are correct. :thumbup:
dragosh02 wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:27 am
Didn't catch that really well.
So from point 4 I understand that I should remove only the glued ring and keep the "special Shimano 1mm ring behind"?
Wich one is the special Shimano 1mm ring? I've got only one metal ring of 0.3mm.
e. g.
https://r2-bike.com/SHIMANO-Spacer-for- ... ttes-05-mm

dragosh02

by dragosh02

DeathClassic wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:05 am
Ok, just for general info: Did remove that thin ring (Adhesive ring - cod Y0MV01000 in Shimano cassette manual) and indeed it seems the quality of rubbing did improve.
But no matter what I do, the last 3 cogs do remain the noisiest of all. 14-34 run like butter, 11-13 like the chains from medieval castles doors. Did micro adjusted from the app a million times and did checked the derailler hanger (it's perfectly alligned).

Matt62

by Matt62

Hi All. Maddie pointed me here (thank you, Maddie) after posting this and suggesting I remove the ring stuck to the Shimano 12 speed DA cassette. Unfortunately, I'm running the Edco monoblock so there isn't one. Do I just add a spacer?

Can I just check if anyone was aware that the Farsports RD230 hub was not compatible with Shimano 12 speed? I put a 12 speed cassette on my RD230 as I presumed it was compatible but it started creaking after a couple of climbing trips. Emma informed me that it is not compatible with Shimano 12 speed (Edco monoblock). Other than the creak, it wasn't problematic. Has anyone else done this? I am now looking at a new RD261 hub to transplant into the current or getting new Hypers. Farsports were good and did send me a replacement hub (another RD230! I think) but I said I would put something on here to alert others.