Carbon Thru Axle

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Attermann

by Attermann

You mean aluminium, not alloy, it's not the same thing.

Mocs123

by Mocs123

I'm certainly not a metallurgist but I think 7075 is an aluminum alloy. I've been wrong before though.

Either way, my point is that there are thru axles of similar weight that are not made of carbon and thus could be safer.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mikemelbrooks

by mikemelbrooks

Mocs123 wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:51 pm
An Extralite Alloy 7075 thru axle is 23g - at a cost of $58USD.
Extralite doesn't make one for my bike.
Broady wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:12 pm
Not sure if I'd trust bonding with a decent axial load in a critical area. Maybe pin it too as a safety measure.
I think I might just do this.
The design of the fork should prevent the wheel from falling out if the thru axle should fail. As I see it the stresses on the thru axle are distributed quite evenly across it. I suspected the reason we don't have carbon thruaxles is more due to cost. Bear in mind that my outlay has been less than £10. I am only modifying a standard thru axle if I were starting from scratch I could make something better.

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

new carbon thru axles from Overfast
SGS tested and even lighter than Aserra

biky

by biky

@stiffweenies can you tell me more about the Overfast axles??
Tarmac SL2
Epic 2009

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

biky wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:58 pm
@stiffweenies can you tell me more about the Overfast axles??
I only know as much as the supplied link

One day they just started being pushed by a bunch of Taiwan-based retailers, the brand itself has no presence to my knowledge

biky

by biky

got in contact with one of the sellers in TW.
€180 without shipment cost
Tarmac SL2
Epic 2009

biky

by biky

They are on pre-sale at pandapodium $220,-

https://www.pandapodium.cc/brand/overfast/
Tarmac SL2
Epic 2009

mattcooke
Resident Pro

by mattcooke

Just to add to Panda Podium, I ordered some tubes and it has taken over a month to get to Boulder, CO USA

ChinaCycling

by ChinaCycling

mattcooke wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:16 am
Just to add to Panda Podium, I ordered some tubes and it has taken over a month to get to Boulder, CO USA
Hey Matt. Joe here from Panda Podium. Just thought I'd jump in to say sorry. When we went live at the start of May we got swamped with more orders than we predicted (especially for TPU tubes, which I never would have guessed) and we had to wait for RideNow to make us another batch. Just checked, your tubes got shipped on May 28th and got to the Denver USPS facility on June 6th. I now have thousands of dollars of TPU tubes sitting in my warehouse though, so that shouldb't happen again. :mrgreen:

As for the OVERFAST axles, they're up for pre-order at the moment. OVERFAST are also currently producing a large batch that will be finished at the end of June. At the moment it looks like any orders placed now will be shipped at the end of June, but if too many more orders come in, may be pushed to the next batch. You can always talk to our staff to get a better idea.

I don't have enough time to check WeightWeenies every day... but I noticed some web traffic coming from here so thought I'd swing by.

mattcooke
Resident Pro

by mattcooke

ChinaCycling wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:30 am
mattcooke wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:16 am
Hey Matt. Joe here from Panda Podium. Just thought I'd jump in to say sorry. When we went live at the start of May we got swamped with more orders than we predicted (especially for TPU tubes, which I never would have guessed) and we had to wait for RideNow to make us another batch. Just checked, your tubes got shipped on May 28th and got to the Denver USPS facility on June 6th. I now have thousands of dollars of TPU tubes sitting in my warehouse though, so that shouldb't happen again. :mrgreen:

As for the OVERFAST axles, they're up for pre-order at the moment. OVERFAST are also currently producing a large batch that will be finished at the end of June. At the moment it looks like any orders placed now will be shipped at the end of June, but if too many more orders come in, may be pushed to the next batch. You can always talk to our staff to get a better idea.

I don't have enough time to check WeightWeenies every day... but I noticed some web traffic coming from here so thought I'd swing by.
Thanks Joe for chiming in. In fairness to you too I believe I selected the lowest price shipping method so that is my fault. Thank you sir.

lightklein2

by lightklein2

[quote=StiffWeenies post_id=1798174 time=1680545869 user_id=99949]
new carbon thru axles from [url=https://www.facebook.com/BIKEfun.Taiwan ... 7oinJLcbml]Overfast[/url]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/rtA4lj0.jpg[/img]
SGS tested and even lighter than Aserra
[/quote]

But the Aserra axles did not work, see on the attached picture. There is a longitudinal crack and believe me I have always installed the axle very carefully.
Attachments
IMG_8277.jpeg

charirider

by charirider

Better to go with Robert Axle Project.
I wouldn't trust carbon axel which is a critical part of the bicycle.
2018 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2 rim size 56 (raw stripped) 6.9kg
2014 Bridgestone Anchor CX6 Equipe size 55 (cyclocross) 9.8kg

kode54

by kode54

Two different materials...glued together vs. all aluminum alloy. Better places to save weight IMHO.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com