Nextie carbon rims ?!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jayjay

by jayjay

How is everybody opinion about Nextie rims?

https://nextie.com/

Let's collect some experience and insight :)
Last edited by jayjay on Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miller

by Miller

I've taken a chance on them and ordered a pair of NXT39ARX rims at the end of December.

Miller

by Miller

I wanted to build a pair of new wheels and was intrigued by Nextie. I ordered a pair of NXT39ARX rims just before new year and they arrived six weeks later (UK). Price was about £400 delivered.

Nextie stuck a label on each rim. Weight is accurate, they are 400g each on my scale.

The rims are 29mm wide, 25mm internal, hookless, gloss UD finish.

I built them up with Sapim D-light spokes and Novatec D611/D612 CL disc hubs. It was the easiest build ever, the rims barely went out of true at any point and took the full spoke tension happily. The bare wheels came in at 675g / 783g for a total pair weight of 1458g. Muc-off valves and Challenge Strada Bianca TLR tyres complete the package.

I've put some km onto them now and the wheels feel lovely. I am particularly taken with the floated ride feel of the Challenge 30mm tyres running at 55 - 60psi.

emotive

by emotive

I'm looking at Nextie for my next wheel build. I recall @TorsenFrank found Challenge Getaway 40mm too tight to mount onto his Nextie AGX45. How was the tubeless tyre fit with the Strada Biancas?

Miller

by Miller

Very, very tight, the tightest tlr I've mounted. Soapy fluid on the beads was absolutely necessary to get the bead over the rim. Once mounted they were docile enough however and inflated easily with a track pump.

I'm hoping that being mounted will have loosened up the beads somewhat.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

What do those tires measure out to mounted?

Aesch

by Aesch

Miller wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:51 pm
I wanted to build a pair of new wheels and was intrigued by Nextie. I ordered a pair of NXT39ARX rims just before new year and they arrived six weeks later (UK). Price was about £400 delivered.

Nextie stuck a label on each rim. Weight is accurate, they are 400g each on my scale.

The rims are 29mm wide, 25mm internal, hookless, gloss UD finish.

I built them up with Sapim D-light spokes and Novatec D611/D612 CL disc hubs. It was the easiest build ever, the rims barely went out of true at any point and took the full spoke tension happily. The bare wheels came in at 675g / 783g for a total pair weight of 1458g. Muc-off valves and Challenge Strada Bianca TLR tyres complete the package.

I've put some km onto them now and the wheels feel lovely. I am particularly taken with the floated ride feel of the Challenge 30mm tyres running at 55 - 60psi.
Aren't they 31mm external? Did you measure them 29? (their website says 31)

Miller

by Miller

You could be right, I haven't measured them.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

I just got the Strada tires on my LB WR rims. The 27 measured 28.1 and the 30 was 31mm. Probably should have gone 30/30.

I do feel like a fool here. These as basically rebranded Vittoria Corsas. I dislike tan sidewalls and could have saved $30/tire.

... and they were the most difficult tire I've ever mounted. It was quite a fight. The whole time you're wondering if your rim, lever, or the tire will fail. I don't think a lesser man than myself could have handled it. :-)

jayjay

by jayjay

Thinking about a new wheelset for my Addict RC and I'm not sure how to decide between these 2 rims. I would use 28mm tires.
Depth, Weight and price is the same.
Which could be faster or handle cross winds better?

NXT40GX
https://www.nextie.com/new-gravel-clincher-NXT40GX

NXT40CRX
https://www.nextie.com/cyclocross-28mm-NXT40CRX

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

You can also seach their site for older model rims.
Not everything is displayed in the upper nav bar.

IMO Nextie has the best strength/weight/price ratios of any carbon rim.
I've owned about 20 Nextie rims over the years and never had a non-crash related problem.

Denavelo

by Denavelo

Thanks to the original post about these rims! I was getting worried there were no longer carbon tubular rims being sold individually.
The weights of Nextie are on par with Schmolke! The 45mm deep Nextie is actually lighter than the Schmolke TLO 45 tubular rim!
I'm going to order a set just to build up a set of Carbon ti hubs I have sitting around.
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

emotive

by emotive

jayjay wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:29 pm
Thinking about a new wheelset for my Addict RC and I'm not sure how to decide between these 2 rims. I would use 28mm tires.
Depth, Weight and price is the same.
Which could be faster or handle cross winds better?

NXT40GX
https://www.nextie.com/new-gravel-clincher-NXT40GX

NXT40CRX
https://www.nextie.com/cyclocross-28mm-NXT40CRX
The 30.5mm wide rim will provide a better aerodynamics than the 29mm wide rim, and thus should provide better aerodynamics and handling. If you want to learn more, have a read of this testing where they compare results of a 28mm tyre on their narrower rim design https://www.parcours.cc/pages/strade-development

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

It looks like one is measured at the track and the other at the widest part? If that's the case, they could be the same width

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jayjay

by jayjay

Ended up getting the NXT40GX rims. Weight is 400/402g.
Wheels will be built next week by my LBS with DT Swiss 240 Hubs and Sapim CX-Ray spokes.