Coefficient RR

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

grooveninja

by grooveninja

Has anyone tried the Coefficient RR bars and have feedback on them?

https://coefficientcycling.com/collecti ... -handlebar

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

grooveninja wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:07 am
Has anyone tried the Coefficient RR bars and have feedback on them?

https://coefficientcycling.com/collecti ... -handlebar

They do exactly as claimed. If you spend any time on the tops (climbing or just toodling around) then the the "swope" functions just like a natural/ergo keyboard. It puts your wrists in a more relaxed position.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Ergo keyboards swoop the other way, though. Our shoulders are far wider apart than a keyboards or the tops on a bar. Put your elbow and wrist at a natural angle as you'd have them when climbing and you'll see the grip angle of your palm is actually pretty much perpendicular (ideal for a standard straight handlebar). This bar looks like it is only be ergonomic when you are in the tucked aero position.

For a company with "coefficient" in the name, you'd think they would lower the GPS mount for a better CdA

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

BigBoyND wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:54 am
Ergo keyboards swoop the other way, though. Our shoulders are far wider apart than a keyboards or the tops on a bar. Put your elbow and wrist at a natural angle as you'd have them when climbing and you'll see the grip angle of your palm is actually pretty much perpendicular (ideal for a standard straight handlebar). This bar looks like it is only be ergonomic when you are in the tucked aero position.

For a company with "coefficient" in the name, you'd think they would lower the GPS mount for a better CdA

Ergo keyboards swoop depending on how split there are and how angled they are vertically. Also a bar grip is more outstretched than a typing position closer to your body. Look at the angle of your knuckles with your wrists neutral in a "riding position" and then look at the angle of your knuckles again in a typical typing position.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Agreed with all that, which is why the keyboard is a poor comparison anyway.

At the more outstretched position (standard climbing position on top tube) my knuckles are parallel to each other, suited for a straight bar. Not the shape of the RR bar. I'd be twisting my wrist out if I was gripping that top tube in an upright seated position. Seems RR is made solely for the tuck, though.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Yes, it's made for moderately bent elbows. I talked to Coefficient guys a while back telling them that their sweep was fine but their slope/vertical angle wasn't extreme enough. They mostly agreed this was the case, but also said an extremely sloped bar would look too weird and be a tough sell.

Dlim78

by Dlim78

Agreed with all that have been mentioned above. Slight weight penalty of 59g compared to 3t ergonova team carbon bar with a garmin out front mount.

The coefficient is definitely stiffer than the 3t bar. No flex on the coefficient. Comfort wise gets a big tick

grooveninja

by grooveninja

For climbing on the tops, do you feel its too far forward compared to regular bar?

grooveninja

by grooveninja

For climbing on the tops, do you feel its too far forward compared to regular bar?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

grooveninja wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:48 am

When you bring your hands together, your reach increases.

Dlim78

by Dlim78

Personally when on the tops it does not feel too far. The angle of the hands are placed more naturally hence the comfort. The only time it feels further but not too far is when the hands come together at the D handle where the computer is mounted.

When I switched handlebars to the coefficient rr, I swapped out for a enve aero stem which gave me an option to increase my reach by 2.5mm which I actually prefer

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Those of you that have used these, what is the verdict? I'm really contemplating these for my Cervelo Aspero5. The bike has become my go to bike, and the primary reason I upgraded to the bike was a 250k gravel race that is the only race I'll be doing. I primarily ride for fitness, but I want to be competitive in this event. I really dislike the original handlebars. The flare is really off putting. I'm really thinking about these, or Deda Superzero RS, with the option of adding their aerobars for the event. Any helpful information is appreciated. The nice thing about the Dedas would be reduced weight when the aerobars are not installed.

mechkbfan

by mechkbfan

ProfessorChaos wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:07 am
Those of you that have used these, what is the verdict? I'm really contemplating these for my Cervelo Aspero5. The bike has become my go to bike, and the primary reason I upgraded to the bike was a 250k gravel race that is the only race I'll be doing. I primarily ride for fitness, but I want to be competitive in this event. I really dislike the original handlebars. The flare is really off putting. I'm really thinking about these, or Deda Superzero RS, with the option of adding their aerobars for the event. Any helpful information is appreciated. The nice thing about the Dedas would be reduced weight when the aerobars are not installed.
Got them on my roadie and love them.

I'll sit on them anytime I don't have to worry about changing gears / braking. (Tempted to get satelite Di2 shifters so I can stay on them longer)
After say a constant 15min gentle climb on them, once I swap back to hoods, it just feels awkard...

Haven't measured the aero benefit but can't see how it'd be worse.
It's certainly easier to maintain than horizontal forearms on the hoods.

The only change I'd like is for more rotation/flare of the hoods locaton, similar to the Ritchey VentureMax, but I can appreciate that's personal preference and a lot of people no doubt happy with traditional drops.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

FB_IMG_1649651921399.jpg
Overall, I like it. Feels good especially when holding the top.

But there are some nuances I wish the next revision would improve.
1) Sprint shifter slot.
Normally, I set sprint shifter at 45 degree angle between pointing sideway inward and pointing to the front. It'd align near my thumb tip. However, the cut out on this bar put flat surface directly to the inside which enforce the sprint shifter alignment to point inward as well. And sprint shifter button now rest near the base of my thumb. I wish the flat side cut out rotate more forward by 45 degree.
2) the up/down slope isn't extreme enough. Setting bar height where I'd be comfortable in drop means the top is still too low to ride narrow stance aero top without my knee hitting my elbow. I could raise bar high enough to create gap between my elbow and knee when using top, but that cause drop to be too tall too. Deeper drop or more top slope could solve it.
3) set-up with correct reach at hood, the center top is still too short reach to hold as pseudo TT bar for extended period of time. Wish the back sweep is more or drop curve have less reach, so that I can use longer stem to push front center joint further away.
4) coming from 36cm bar, 38cm feels a bit wide. But I guess there aren't much demand for 36cm bar. So it's understandable but still wish for 36cm size.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

They felt that their swope with the RR was as much as they could get away with and still sell the thing to aesthetically fickle consumers. The ideal amount of vertical slope is actually almost completely vertical, just like on TT extensions.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com