Hacking the Eagle AXS controller for TT or to add blips???

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gSporco

by gSporco

So this one is for all you techy experimenters..

With a relatively low cost (I know a $150usd isn't anything to snooze over).

Would you think it's possible to open up the GX AXS Eagle controller and soldering wires with blips to extend the shifters on a TT bike or climbing blips on a road bike?

TBH I am not planning on using this on the road unless it really works well and remains waterproof.. So for now it will be for my indoor training bike..

The goal is to essentially convert the controller into a blip box, but with only 2 buttons as thats what it will allow..

The only major issue I see is that the controller will probably not actuate an AXS front derailleur due to its firmware.. but maybe after the buttons are separated with independent buttons they can simultaneously be pushed to actuate the FD..

Im not buying a blip box fyi, I might as well buy Rival AXS levers for that price

Anyway.. thoughts, tips??
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

kampiakseli

by kampiakseli

I took this opportunity to test on my TT bike. I'm going to install Sram pod controller with wireless blips and Rival rear derailleur. 1x12 setup. Parts just arrived and it works! https://www.youtube.com/shorts/-kX10rIA-fE

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

timmerrr

by timmerrr

You can make the system work with no shifters as long as you have a friend with an AXS bike or have a good relationship with your LBS. Pair RD with any random AXS shifter and the wireless blips. Make sure the blips work. Then use the blips to shift. Doesn't matter if the shifter is actually anywhere near the bike after the inital paring. Have this set up on my TT bike for a month now with no issues
State Bicycle Co. Undefeated: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=171358

kampiakseli

by kampiakseli

It accepts the front derailleur too. You can shift the front derailleur only with the blips. Pod controller doesn't react to the front derailleur, but the blips do.

apr46

by apr46

Per SRAM, latest firmware has removed the need for a controller. You should be able to pair the blips directly to the RD.

Upcountry

by Upcountry

apr46 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:23 pm
Per SRAM, latest firmware has removed the need for a controller. You should be able to pair the blips directly to the RD.
Whoa, If that is the case, thats a huge step! I've just recently setup some blips, mounted in Leap Components mounts, for my only shifters on a bike, but had a spare AXS Eagle shifter present and paired that during the setup. I might have to go and undo all that to see if I can eliminate that. I've avoided solely using the blips on my bikepacking rigs specifically for the reason that should something die or become "unpaired" I'd be out of luck.

Upcountry

by Upcountry

As a follow up, @apr46 is correct! This is a pretty rad update. I'm not surprised that SRAM didn't make it more known, as it'll probably cost them some shifter sales, although they'll recoup that with the sale of the disposable Blips...
Per Sram:
"Wireless Blips can be used in a system without the need for a primary controller.
You will, however, need to use the AXS app to assign a function to each Blip after you have paired them, as they don't have a default assignment."

kampiakseli

by kampiakseli

I'm blown away! I can confirm this. Did just pair Rival axs Rear derailleur only with two blips and it works! By the way Eagle pod controller for sale...

Upcountry

by Upcountry

To further this, in relation to a point mentioned/asked by the OP... You can actually now shift a front derailleur with the Blips as well, via the typical simultaneous press of both Blips! Only further question I have, is if a Blip can now control an AXS dropper post.

apr46

by apr46

Blips cant control the dropper currently. I am part of what i think is a pretty large and open pool of people who test pre-release firmware, so I do get confused on these details and when they are released, but I think SRAM going official about not needing a blipbox is recent.

Upcountry

by Upcountry

Well thank you for sharing that knowledge! Also heard back from a tech stating that indeed still no dropper compatability.

Upcountry

by Upcountry

There's a journalist amongst us... lol
https://bikerumor.com/sram-wireless-bli ... -shifters/

mcjonesy

by mcjonesy

Upcountry wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:39 pm
To further this, in relation to a point mentioned/asked by the OP... You can actually now shift a front derailleur with the Blips as well, via the typical simultaneous press of both Blips!
You've been able to do this as long as there've been blips?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kampiakseli

by kampiakseli

Hi, I don't fine a solution to trim gears on my TT bike as I have 1x12 setup with only blips! I have Rival rear derailleur and four blips on my TT bike. On the app you can only setup the functions of the blips, but how to trim rear derailleur?