S Works Ares - Anyone prefer them to S Works 7 for general riding?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

GONE4ARIDE

by GONE4ARIDE

Weber wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:51 pm
Anyone can tell me if they size like shimano sphyre?
I am wearing a 44.5 in the Ares and a 45 in the S-Phyre 902.

TLN

by TLN

Swiched from S-Works 7 to Ares and like it better. Recently got S-Works vent, but might return em, since Ares work pretty well.
PITA to put on, but that's the only complaint I have.
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

I liked the Ares so much I got 2 pairs. They are very comfortable.

Contrary to some of the previous comments, I find them to run quite warm in summer, and was thinking about getting Vents this season but based on the comment above now I'm double taking. I find the Torch harder to get into and out of compared to the Ares, but maybe I'm weird in that I've gotten really used to slipping into the Ares. Coming from "nominal" shoes, my initial experience with the Ares was it took some getting used to putting on and off. But once they're on I really like them.

Nereth

by Nereth

Ordered Ares the day they were announced. Within 1 ride they became the only shoe in my quiver. Resolved endless hotspot and comfort issues.

However, the "sock" does seem to wear through over time on top of the foot, where it is rubbed by the upper.

I'm clean through my first set (which they let me keep, so I now use on rainy days), and probably going to get through the warranty set that replaced it soon.

GONE4ARIDE

by GONE4ARIDE

I was a devout S-Works road shoe fanboy until the 7. I had major hotspot issues with the 7 under the bottom Boa's, plus the infamous ankle bite issue with the tongue.

The Ares has been a fabulous shoe for me. They are incredibly comfortable and although they do take a bit more effort to put on, it's a more than acceptable trade-off given the excellent fit and performance of the shoe. I keep a shoe horn in my shoe bag and it makes life so much easier with the Ares.

Regarding colors and the Ares, yes, the white sock liner can and will get discolored, but there are ways of cleaning it. IMO, the Team White colorway is the way to go, but that's personal taste.

Ytse

by Ytse

GONE4ARIDE wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:42 pm

Regarding colors and the Ares, yes, the white sock liner can and will get discolored, but there are ways of cleaning it.
What's your best practice cleaning the liner?
2020 Scott Addict RC / 2021 Trek Emonda SLR / 2023 Specialized Tarmac SL8

RDY

by RDY

Best thing to do with the Ares is buy the black and then paint them. That way you get a black 'sock' and whatever color you want shoe.

Ytse

by Ytse

RDY wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:48 am
Best thing to do with the Ares is buy the black and then paint them. That way you get a black 'sock' and whatever color you want shoe.
I'm specifically looking for a white shoe. :)

ms6073

by ms6073

Ytse wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:51 pm
What size?
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Ytse

by Ytse

ms6073 wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:34 pm
Ytse wrote:
What size?

ms6073

by ms6073

Ytse wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:27 pm
ms6073 wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:34 pm
Ytse wrote:
What size?
Oh, sorry, the wife tried out the size 40.5 and 41, but not 42.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Sock3t

by Sock3t

These dropped to more than 50% off so I ordered a set to replace my Sworks 7's. Excited to give them a try.

LMCuba

by LMCuba

Just got a pair at over half off too. Think these will be my winter shoes. It'd be nice not not having to wear the Vent in 6-12 celsius weather. Rest of the year though I doubt I'll give up the breathability for anything.

proffate

by proffate

Anyone know how these compare to the Recon 3 MTB shoes in terms of size/fit? Do they use the same last etc? Particularly interested in the toebox comparison as the recons work great for me. On the road I used giro empire slx for many years but my feet got flatter and wider in the ball area as I aged so now they're too narrow in the forefoot. Still have annoyingly low volume feet overall though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RDY

by RDY

FYI, cleat track is just over 6mm further back on the normal than the wide, at least in size 49. For me this is great, but it's unexpected and undocumented.

I changed from the 49 wide to 49. Fit is much better for me - front third is just about wide enough still, middle third and heel / ankle are way lower volume. I have long feet with wide forefoot, but very low volume and not particularly wide mid and rear third.

Probably the first time I've had a pair of shoes that fit semi-properly.

Anyway if you're considering normal vs wide in S shoes, you might want to ask them about cleat track position if it matters to you. I was surprised to feel overstretched, with Peroneus Brevis particularly feeling it, then measured them and realized it had effectively made my legs 6mm shorter. So needed to drop my saddle.