Apple Airtag as a Bike Tracker

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Maddie

by Maddie

BigBoyND wrote:Does Samsung SmartTag work the same way as the Airtag? I.e. would any Galaxy phone let me know where the tag is in the case of a stolen bike?
Yes, it's very similar. But it's Samsung only unfortunately, not Android. There's less Galaxy phones than iPhones, so chances are a bit less that you get a location.

Aerohead23

by Aerohead23

yinzerniner wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:56 pm
Aerohead23 wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:37 pm
I have AirTags and if there's any chance it would improve my chance of getting the bike back should it get swiped at the coffee stop im all for giving it a chance
The only problem with this is the supposed new feature makes it harder to recover and in some cases might make it easier for a thief to identify items of value.

Now that someone can basically scan for airtags in the area they can also look around for expensive items which could house the Airtags, and if they steal the item they can find the Airtag and remove it.

Also it makes it harder for people to find their items if lost since anyone at any time can do a scan for items in the area, and once the bad actor sees something that looks lost they can remove the airtag.

Really dumb update IMO that could be easily solved through some sort of time or distance settings in the recovery module.
The nfc scan only works when you are littlerally hovering your phone over the device.

The noise the airtag makes to let you know its there also only happens if you put it in lost mode, so track it before you put it in lost mode. then youve a chance to find it before they know its there. Again i think anything thats giving half a chance of recovery is worth a go

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kervelo

by kervelo

I think one option to attach an AirTag to the bike would be a simple sticker case, for example https://www.spigen.com/products/apple-a ... licone-fit, and stick it to the underside of the Garmin/Wahoo mount. Most people will not notice anything.

darrydonds

by darrydonds

kervelo wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:25 am
I think one option to attach an AirTag to the bike would be a simple sticker case, for example https://www.spigen.com/products/apple-a ... licone-fit, and stick it to the underside of the Garmin/Wahoo mount. Most people will not notice anything.
Cool! It would fit nicely under my stock TCR computer mount. I think it's a better place than the saddle to hide the device.

darrydonds

by darrydonds

Aerohead23 wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:22 am
The nfc scan only works when you are littlerally hovering your phone over the device.
I think NFC is used when your phone reads the info, such as info about the owner, stored in the AirTag. Scans for nearby AirTags uses bluetooth.

jpeterson1012

by jpeterson1012

ryanw wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:20 pm
I literally told him (and the team) about 3 days before he was burgled to put an AirTag in his Spesh.

Goes without saying I'm now owed a fair few beers!
How do we know you didn't instigate this entire fiasco :twisted:

ullmanz

by ullmanz

I put mine into the frameset. So it's harder to remove, as people would have to remove the bottom bracket first. So they'd really need to know how to work on bikes. And do it fast enough, that I won't catch them first
Specialized SL7 - 7.1kg including Garmin mount, bottle cages and pedals

ArtifactsInMotion

by ArtifactsInMotion

Top cap or bar end plugs? :lol:
Jokes aside, those sticker cases are probably one of the best options for storing within the frame. Top cap might even work with a 2-piece design
'22 Orbea Orca Aero 57cm, DA92, Bontrager RSL62, GP5KSTR 28mm, Roval Rapide Cockpit, SLR Superflow Carbonio, 7.8kg

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

ullmanz wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:28 pm
I put mine into the frameset.
That sounds like a great idea. Where do you live and what do your ride? :mrgreen:

Ritsuke

by Ritsuke

ryanw wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:20 pm
That chap is my friend / team mate.

I literally told him (and the team) about 3 days before he was burgled to put an AirTag in his Spesh.

Goes without saying I'm now owed a fair few beers!

I have one in my SL7 and one in my Open. They're not perfect but obviously work.
How did you mount in your SL7? I'd like to do this as well.
Road // 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL8 | Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 | Roval Rapide CLX
Gravel // 2023 Specialized Crux Pro | SRAM Force AXS | Roval Terra CL
Retired // 2022 S-Works Shiv TT // 2021 S-Works Tarmac SL7 // 2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Red Hook

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

Dunno about the us and other Countries but apparently at least in Germany AirTags are borderline useless due to privacy related restrictions.
They have been used for stalking and other crimes, so now they alert immediately, not only after reporting them as missing...

Too bad..

Stendhal

by Stendhal

Bought an Air Tag pack today (from the Apple company store in Cupertino, go figure) for various uses. An employee asserted that the system uses other persons' phones to transmit a signal to you if they are near your Air Tag (i.e. bike), but that they do not know it.

Found the following on Amazon: a case that fits underneath a bottle cage. Might work.

https://www.amazon.com/Bracket-Attachme ... 3836&psc=1

Here's a clever idea: hide it under the top cap

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1059826446 ... 4kEALw_wcB
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

That is what would make sense to me. Something tells me that Santa will be leaving some under the tree tomorrow.

Interesting ideas on holders. Thanks for posting the links.

AJS914

by AJS914

You guys should install two AirTags on your bikes. One in a findable location and another in a hard to find location. If the theif looks and finds the first one, he may ignore the second message as an anomoly.

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

AJS914 wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:05 pm
You guys should install two AirTags on your bikes. One in a findable location and another in a hard to find location. If the theif looks and finds the first one, he may ignore the second message as an anomoly.
This actually makes a lot more sense - glad can use the wisdom of Minority Report to some good use!

Considering they're very cheap and small they should still work for theft recovery purposes - for stalking and other nefarious reasons they still have a long way to bridge the privacy gap. Think maybe an automatic 30 min alarm for both the Airtag owner and any iOS/Android user who is not the owner but has been in proximity of the Airtagn during that entire time should grant both some retrieval and privacy gains. Or maybe it's just an unsolvable conundrum.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com