Apple Airtag as a Bike Tracker

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

Butcher wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:55 pm
Sorry if it's a stupid question, just would like to know the logic behind this device.
Someone at apple has invented something without first taking a good hard look at people, and how many of them are utter shits, first.

I reckon a good number of airtags are going to end up in a bin somewhere, or used to stalk ex partners...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Yeah, but how would the average person know that you have one on your bike? I would think that your tag would be located only by you, not everyone in the world. I do not think that engineers/software developers would over look this. I do not think they are so ignorant about theft. Heck with with all the online stealing/scams around, it's just common sense to have some type of software to lock it to your device. Of course, scammers would figure out a way to hack that too.

Plus the average homeless person in my area probably can't spell Apple but certainly can spell crack.

Again, that is why I'm asking.

Aerohead23

by Aerohead23

Butcher wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:12 pm
Yeah, but how would the average person know that you have one on your bike? I would think that your tag would be located only by you, not everyone in the world. I do not think that engineers/software developers would over look this. I do not think they are so ignorant about theft. Heck with with all the online stealing/scams around, it's just common sense to have some type of software to lock it to your device. Of course, scammers would figure out a way to hack that too.

Plus the average homeless person in my area probably can't spell Apple but certainly can spell crack.

Again, that is why I'm asking.
They'll know because if your near the AirTag for too long you'll get a notification it's there. And if you wanted to you can scan for it too.

To be fair I still think it's a reasonable deterrent . Most thieves are idiots and if they got a notification that there's a tracking device on the bike they'll probably ditch it and you can get it back if they don't *f##k* it in a river or something . I asked though and apparently it needs to be with you for hours before it will notify you.

Have a read of that link I posted earlier in the thread , that tells you all

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

It is ok, I have heard of people recovering their bike or scooter with the airtag.

But is the spandex wearing cyclist going to turn superhero and confront the machete weilding thugs in their "nest"? Will police actually help?

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I'm all for it and it's on my Christmas list. I just think it's odd that a random phone would let you know there is a tag close by, unless it's your tag.

Thanks for your help with the question.

AJS914

by AJS914

Butcher wrote:
Could someone clarify this.

I put an airtag on my bike. This tag uses any Apple phone [that is capable] in the area to let the owner of that tag where it is. I get that but why would it allow any Apple phone there is an airtag around. Wouldn't that get annoying? Why would you care if someone elses tag is close by?

Yes, I get that thieves would like to know but I'm talking about regular consumers. I can see a setting that would allow you not to share that information but I cannot see why there would be a setting that would allow you to see all the airtags around. As these become popular, it would get annoying to know that information.

I don't think you will get constant alerts that an Airtag is simply nearby. It has to "travel" with you. I'm guessing that the system looks at GPS data and time and will alert a nearby phone after some threshold of travel time/distance is met.

An Airtag presents a chance to get your bike back or know where it was initially taken to. It's obviously not fullproof. Knowledgable thieves will start pointing iPhones at expensive bikes they have stolen before they take it home. It does bring up the question of what one is going to do with the information. Is one going to just call the cops or go pound on the theif's door or bring a weapon?

I'm also curious what police will do with Airtag theft reports. They will certainly be getting more and more reports about all sorts of items getting stolen. The police were never in the past presented with an exact location so they didn't have to do much about small time stuff other than take a report.

Aerohead23

by Aerohead23

I have AirTags and if there's any chance it would improve my chance of getting the bike back should it get swiped at the coffee stop im all for giving it a chance

mashiehood

by mashiehood

Aerohead23 wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:37 pm
I have AirTags and if there's any chance it would improve my chance of getting the bike back should it get swiped at the coffee stop im all for giving it a chance
this.... end of thread!

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

Aerohead23 wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:37 pm
The only problem with this is the supposed new feature makes it harder to recover and in some cases might make it easier for a thief to identify items of value.

Now that someone can basically scan for airtags in the area they can also look around for expensive items which could house the Airtags, and if they steal the item they can find the Airtag and remove it.

Also it makes it harder for people to find their items if lost since anyone at any time can do a scan for items in the area, and once the bad actor sees something that looks lost they can remove the airtag.

Really dumb update IMO that could be easily solved through some sort of time or distance settings in the recovery module.

darrydonds

by darrydonds

Butcher wrote:
[...] why would it allow any Apple phone there is an airtag around. Wouldn't that get annoying? Why would you care if someone elses tag is close by?
Butcher wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:01 pm
I'm all for it and it's on my Christmas list. I just think it's odd that a random phone would let you know there is a tag close by, unless it's your tag.

Thanks for your help with the question.
It's not odd. It is to protect the individual with the "random phone" by letting them know someone may be tracking their movements. Imagine an abusive partner hiding one in their other half's bag to track location and movement. This is abuse of privacy at the least.

Apple has thought of this.
Last edited by darrydonds on Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Maddie

by Maddie

Exactly that, darrydonds

carbocation

by carbocation

FWIW, I used them in my bike box (and luggage). The range is good enough that it will usually tell you if your bike/luggage is loaded on the plane, gets rid of some of the worrying if you've had your bike lost before (I have).

darrydonds

by darrydonds

yinzerniner wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:56 pm
The only problem with this is the supposed new feature makes it harder to recover and in some cases might make it easier for a thief to identify items of value.

Now that someone can basically scan for airtags in the area they can also look around for expensive items which could house the Airtags, and if they steal the item they can find the Airtag and remove it.
In theory, yes. In practice, no. The scan is only for near proximity and doesn't give exact location of items. Chances are, you'd see the item without a scan anyway. What hidden item of value can a scan possibly help locate? A safety box in someone's house? An expensive hang-bag tucked under some newspaper in a coffee shop? There are very few real-world situations where the scan can significantly help a thief.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Does Samsung SmartTag work the same way as the Airtag? I.e. would any Galaxy phone let me know where the tag is in the case of a stolen bike?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

Here is an alternative that I found. It's like what you see in the movies. Device is very cheap but does carry a monthly cost.
Looks like could be installed under the saddle to start with.

https://www.amazon.com/BrickHouse-Secur ... 01MYVBUJZ/