Specialized S-Works 8 Road Shoes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DouglasDDX

by DouglasDDX

So I have the S-Works Recon MTB shoe for gravel riding since 2 months. The fit is by far the best shoe I have ever had. The only shoes (size 45.5) which are long enough but still fits snug and keeps my heel in place! Now I want the same for my road riding, from this thread and reviews i suspect that I should look for the "old" 7 version and not the new Torch? If the recon and 7 have the same fit?

I have found the S-Works 7 Vent Road on discount at a couple of webshops in my size, I assume they are the same fit as the regular 7?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spud

by spud

^ I have both 7 and the 7 Vent. To me, the fit is the same through the heel and midfoot, with the Vent having a little more room in the toes/ball of the foot.

kode54

by kode54

SW recon, SW7, SW Vent and Ares all fit the same as I have had all 7 series. SW Torch is different fitting like looser heel retention and more ankle bone clearance. All of which has been mentioned already.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

DouglasDDX

by DouglasDDX

Thanks for your replies and knowledge 👍

Schadenfreude

by Schadenfreude

Is anyone using a size 42 wide S-Works Torch and getting along with the shoe? If so, any chance you could give your forefoot width? The 42 seems to have the correct length, but isn't wide enough - not sure the wide version would be suitable either. I'll likely need to order the 42 wide through the Australian Specialized website as no retailers carry the wide version. TIA

micmax

by micmax

kode54 wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:54 pm
SW recon, SW7, SW Vent and Ares all fit the same as I have had all 7 series. SW Torch is different fitting like looser heel retention and more ankle bone clearance.
Related to the S-Works Torch you are absolutely right.
But i can't confirm, that the S-works 7 and the Recon have the same fit. I could not wear the 7 because of massive ankle bone pain and Boa pressure points.
I've the S-works Recon shoes and wear them in winter almost all day >> no problems with the ankle, very tight but comfortable fit and it is possible placing the cleats more backwards. Best Mtb shoes i've ever worn.

kode54

by kode54

The SW 7 shoes had variations in tolerances. I have/had 4 SW7 shoes in different color ways and one specifically had more pressure on the ankle bone than the others. I still have 3 SW7 shoes and one Torch and rotate them accordingly.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

ABogle

by ABogle

FYI in case this is helpful for anyone, I was waiting for something in a bike shop and thought I'd try on the s-works torch with no intention of buying them.

For some background, I had a massive issue finding cycling shoes. I tried the entire bont, Lake, Shimano, Fizik range and nothing fits. My feet are a bit wide at the forefoot but not that wide, I've have high arches and a low instep, basically low volume duck feet. However my little toe comes up a bit to far forward and that is usually always the problem, the toe is normally past the widest point of the correct size shoe.
Anyway I had to buy an Ares as it was the only thing that fit in the end and my toe protrudes a bit but because the material of the shoe has so much give it works, I never get rubbing or pain.
The s-works seven didnt work at all, my little toe is rammed against the hard material of the shoe in the correct sizes

Back to the s-works torch, I tried them on and they fit great (i didnt buy them but I will I actually need new shoes), they are a lot wider than the 7 imo and the material is much softer. However the heel cup is nowhere near as tight (its hardly a boat) as the ares and torch, which in my case was/would have been great.

Rough

by Rough

Can anyone help me regarding sizing of S-works Ares?

I ordered size 45 eu and 45.5 eu and I'm decing which one I keep.

Size 45 fits better but the shoe is a tiny tiny bit tight at the midfoot and insteep area. I wouldn't even call it tight as I'm probably just not used to the sock like feeling of the shoe. I have quite a lot of space in the toebox, but my heel feels totally locked in - very nice feeling for a cycling shoe. I don't even need to crank the boas down a lot it just fits very nicely. Thicker insoles than stock ones (which are not that thin as other Specialized shoes) are a no go with this size though as they whould take too much volume in the shoe...

Size 45.5 feels a bit roomy and I need to crank the boas down a bit more. Also the shoe is bunching up a bit at the toebox - feels a bit too roomy. It's not bad but I like 45 size better as with that size my feet feel completely locked in.

I'm just afraid that size 45 would become a bit tight if my feet start to swell a bit after a lot of time on the bike - but then again I would expect the inner sock to stretch a bit after using the shoe (taking it on/off even...). Can anyone help me regarding this? Does the sock stretch a bit? Any other advice?

AC0

by AC0

Sounds like the 45 fits you correctly. The sock definitely stretches but it does enclose your foot so it will always feel 'tight'. When the boas are loose you foot will not move around like a normal shoe. You don't even have to do up the boas, you can ride like that and your foot won't come out of the shoe.

Rough

by Rough

AC0 wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:17 pm
Sounds like the 45 fits you correctly. The sock definitely stretches but it does enclose your foot so it will always feel 'tight'. When the boas are loose you foot will not move around like a normal shoe. You don't even have to do up the boas, you can ride like that and your foot won't come out of the shoe.
Does toebox also stretch a tiny amount width wise? I noticed that on size 45 my pinky toe is pressed against the dyneema fabric/side of the shoe. Toe box is otherwise roomy enough and I can move/squeeze my toes up and down. I was thinking that shoe would contort/stretch a bit with use but I ask just to be sure.

AC0

by AC0

Yes, if you push out where your small toe is you will see that the upper stretches in that section, it's just the sockliner with a flexible TPU(?) coating. The Ares is slightly narrow than a S-Works 7 (didn't compare to an 8 ) across the toes but the strech makes up for it.
Last edited by AC0 on Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rhgastur

by rhgastur

Hi guys,
In my wife's opinion the cycling shoes that I am using look a bit way too wrecked, hence she wants to buy me whatever I consider for my birthday. To be honest along the years I have tried Northwave, Shimano, and a few more, some fit me better, some worse, but I always come back to my old S-works from 2012.
The thing is that I struggle to decide what would be my number and the tool in Specs web tells me that my data is out of range so not very helpful. The 2012 that I have are a 43 EU, but to be honest they have plenty of room in front of my toes, hence if they Torch are wider maybe I could do with a smaller size? and to be honest the sizing of a brand 10 years old can be different to what they are using at the moment, hence the question:
What would you recommend me?

As a reference:
-My running shoes are Mizuno Wave Rider, I have a 41 EU
-I just checked two pairs of casual trainers that I have, Puma and Adidas, both are 42 EU

Rough

by Rough

For what it's worth I tried S-works Torch at my local Specialized dealer and while the shoes look very good they didn't fit me as well as Ares. For me it's a step down in terms of fit/shape.

I would say the Torch is wider in the heel, still about the same in the midfoot and forefoot. Toebox is wider but it much lower - there is less volume in the whole shoe and that might be a problem for people using thicker insoles. This was not a problem for me as I have quite low volume feet but heel was less secure than on S-works Vent or Ares.

I have to say that Ares is the best fitting shoe that I have tried. It's even better with Specialized blue footbeds as they raise your foot a tiny bit in the shoe effectively making the shoe a bit wider because of the oval shape of the shoe cross-section. Tried it yesterday for a 2.5h ride: zero pain or discomfort and you don't even have to crank down the boas. Zero heel slip and zero movement in the shoe while still having space in the toebox.

otnemem

by otnemem

Unless you guys physically can't, you should go into an actual Specialized store and do the Retül fit before you even try your first pair. I swear this thread would be less than half the amount of posts if people would do that.
Sure, you can save a few bucks buying online, but I think a properly fitted shoe is easily worth ~30€ if you're spending well north of 250€ anyway.
In my case I would probably have to do three orders and two returns before I actually got a 44.5 pair.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com