Specialized S-Works 8 Road Shoes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

Bloody toe box is making me sell these.

Shame, as the white version do actually look amazing. Probably classiest looking shoe I have owned and I have owned a lot of different shoes.

But the lower volume and more tapered toe box is killing my toes, especially my pinky, which is being squeezed hard against the side.

The extra width in the midfoot is lovely, but the front part is making me miserable.

Put loads of hours onto two different pairs now and have to admit defeat. Longest was a 6+ hour ride and I was in hot foot/numb toe agony after 3. Weird, as the narrower Ares just don't cause me these problems. I think because of the totally different approach to the toe box design.

Don't really understand why they went 'wider is better', but then shrink wrapped the toes area.

I will concede that they are quality shoes if they work with your foot though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

Did you try a half size up? That may solve some of the toe issues.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Ferry

by Ferry

How is the fitment of the S Works shoes? I have a size 44 Sidi. Will I need to size up or down with the S Works shoes?

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

Ferry wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:23 pm
How is the fitment of the S Works shoes? I have a size 44 Sidi. Will I need to size up or down with the S Works shoes?
They are a bigger shoe than Sidi, that is for sure.

46 Sidi has always been a 45 S-Works for me.

Everyone is slightly specific in their foot's needs, wants and likes though.

ms6073

by ms6073

Ferry wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:23 pm
I wear a size 42 in Sidi Wire and had no fit issues with 41.5 in the S-Works Torch but found the toe box a bit to wide as compared to the Sidi and my current Shimano Sphyre RC902s.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Ferry

by Ferry

Thanks a lot for your answers! Really helpful, I appreciate it.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Does anyone have a pic. of 'team white' color? It was mentioned in the Torch release that this color will be available. On my LBS' website there's an entry for it with an ETA of Dec. 31, but no photo of the color was shown. Thanks.

Stormtrooper

by Stormtrooper

I would imagine it will have some black highlights and black branding "S Works or Specialized"

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Stormtrooper wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:31 pm
I would imagine it will have some black highlights and black branding "S Works or Specialized"
Thanks. I know I want a pair of white shoes. But since the white shoes are out of stock I wonder if I should just wait for the release of the 'team white', or at least wait until a photo of it is made available.

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:12 pm
Does anyone have a pic. of 'team white' color? It was mentioned in the Torch release that this color will be available. On my LBS' website there's an entry for it with an ETA of Dec. 31, but no photo of the color was shown. Thanks.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cd9Rj4gKRJP ... MyMTA2M2Y=

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Eterna7m wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:23 pm
pdlpsher1 wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:12 pm
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cd9Rj4gKRJP ... MyMTA2M2Y=
Thanks! It looks so similar to the regular white. I was hoping for a bit of color other than black.

bob78h

by bob78h

tommyboyo wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:03 pm
Bloody toe box is making me sell these.

Shame, as the white version do actually look amazing. Probably classiest looking shoe I have owned and I have owned a lot of different shoes.

But the lower volume and more tapered toe box is killing my toes, especially my pinky, which is being squeezed hard against the side.

The extra width in the midfoot is lovely, but the front part is making me miserable.

Put loads of hours onto two different pairs now and have to admit defeat. Longest was a 6+ hour ride and I was in hot foot/numb toe agony after 3. Weird, as the narrower Ares just don't cause me these problems. I think because of the totally different approach to the toe box design.

Don't really understand why they went 'wider is better', but then shrink wrapped the toes area.

I will concede that they are quality shoes if they work with your foot though.
Same here. I gave it a few rides and gave up. I love everything about the shoe except it is too low on the outside of the toebox. Hurts after an hour, numb toes, and leaves a nasty red spot on the 5th met head bone. If they either gave that spot a little more volume or some stretchiness in the material, I think it would've worked for me.

I tried a half size up, but felt like there would be issues with heel retention.

For now I've gone back to the SW7. I had minor issues with lack of width and BOA wire placement on the SW7, but at least no pressure points and I'm able to ride 4+ hours with only some minor toe numbness. I'm hoping to try the Torch again in wide once they restock, hopefully that will work for me.

kode54

by kode54

I used a shoe stretcher just for he 5th met bone since everything else fit well with the exception of the heel retention (SW7 was narrower). I need to use the stretcher several more times as it is working the area out pretty well.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

bob78h

by bob78h

kode54 wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:27 am
I used a shoe stretcher just for he 5th met bone since everything else fit well with the exception of the heel retention (SW7 was narrower). I need to use the stretcher several more times as it is working the area out pretty well.
Nice. I'd love an update after you stretch it more to see if it fixes things!

That area didn't seem like it would give at all, but I didn't try a shoe stretcher device yet. If that will work, that would be ideal!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

The shoe stretcher comes with potato head attachments...where you can add bump outs and various other bits. I just used one of the bumps and located the problem area and put it in overnight. I need to repeat a few times according to the instructions...maybe wet the area or use a shoe stretcher spray. The bump on my foot isn't as red as it was initially, so I'm assuming that it works. It just needs a few extra days.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc