S-Works SL7 Fork/Headset Recall.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pushpush

by pushpush

resurtm wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:04 am
pushpush wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:21 am
Is there a way to easily visually confirm if the recall replacement has already been performed, or does it require pulling the expander?
No, you don't need to pull it out. Check the photos here:

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/10/why-spe ... nt-lesson/

The red one is a good/fixed one. I can confirm mine was black before the actual recall/replacement, and I checked it again, and it's now red-colored.
Thanks! I saw that illustration and thought it was red to highlight the part that changed. I didnt realize that it would actually be red.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spartacus

by spartacus

The recall consists of 2 parts, not just the red expander FYI

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Now that I am building up my SL8, I see that it has the heavy 46g recall expander for the steerer.

i will slam my stem, so I see no purpose for the long alu black part? Presumably this can be cut off to just below the 'nut'? Or use a Schmolke or equivalent.

Anyone done this?

K4m1k4z3

by K4m1k4z3

cyclespeed wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:03 pm
Now that I am building up my SL8, I see that it has the heavy 46g recall expander for the steerer.

i will slam my stem, so I see no purpose for the long alu black part? Presumably this can be cut off to just below the 'nut'? Or use a Schmolke or equivalent.

Anyone done this?
You could use the standard black Specialized plug (28g) or the Aethos lightweight plug (17g). But personally I don't like the taper/necking in the middle on the Aethos part.
I plan to use the standard black plug with some inner bits from the Aethos plug. Comes down to 22g.
'24 S-Works Tarmac SL8 RTP - soon™
'22 Tarmac SL7 Expert | Ultegra R8100 | Alpinist CL / Custom Rapide CLX 2x60
'19 Diverge E5 Comp
'18 Epic HT Comp Carbon WMN
'18 TCR Adv Pro 1 Disc