Knock - off Cassettes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sfo423

by sfo423

Anyone running eTap with an 1170 or 90 cassette and try a direct swap for a ZTTO? I just put one on an it needs a lot of microshift adjustment. The gaps between the 11&12&13 seem pretty wide too. Big jumps.

OlieSimpson

by OlieSimpson

Received my SROAD SLR2 cassette today. The machining quality seems great and the weight of the 11-28 I ordered came in at an impressive 180g (5g less than advertised). I got it in the dark grey colour which also looks nice and stealthy :)

Will report back once it's installed and been used for a little while.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sfo423

by sfo423

I am running the ZTTO 11/28 w/a PYC chain. Took a bit to get dialed in w/eTap but works fine. I think etap users won't notice a difference vs di2 users as SRAM shifts are slower (than di2).

MichaelB

by MichaelB

joeeboh wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:17 am
Using one from sunshine here and it's skipping one particular cog as well. Not sure if manufacturing tolerance is up to par with Shimano or SRAM

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
I had a similar experience with an SROAD 11sp 11-32 cassette - looked good, shifted well, but skipped under load on one cog (17T I think). Was used with a new chain, so that wasn't an issue.

Picked it up for A$55, so wasn't a huge loss, but wondering if there are other better options ?

Ideally fater 11-32, or will go with an XD 10-32 (or similar) if they are available.

kode54

by kode54

I had the SROAD cassette but recently swapped that out for a JFOYH 2022 New Series Ultralight 11/12 Speed Cassette from Amazon. This new version shifts well similar to an Ultegra 8000 cassette. Smooth, light and cheap. I bought a 11-32T for road bike and 11-36T for the gravel bike
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

FishNo6

by FishNo6

Feels unfair putting this in a 'Knock-off' thread, but there's some good background info on the cassette here.

SROAD SLR2 11-speed 11-32 - long term review:

It's still working flawlessly after a hilly 12,318km - some 165,000m of climbing. Used with four KMC X11-EL waxed chains in rotation, switching every 200-400km depending on conditions. The drivetrain is brushed down after every ride and the cassette gets a boil-wash & scrub every 3000km or so.
_
IMG_20230605_174531.jpg
Comparing with its eventual replacement, there's clearly some wear, but no chain skips as yet, and shifts up and down (Ultegra mechanical) are still crisp and consistent, so far as I can tell. The chains are all creeping up on 0.5%, according to my "I'll tell you whatever you want" Park Tool CC-2, but they're very bendy/twistable now, so reaching the end of the line.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Unfortunately, I've been having hit or miss issues with the sroad cassettes. I had one break a rivet on the 1st ride, causing horrible knocking. The next one lasted about 6 months (less than 2000 mi) before it started with the same issue, although more gradual. Now trying the sunshine cassette, which is about half the price.
Speedplay is the devil!

alanyu

by alanyu

I had an sroad 11-28t before. Its shifting performance is on par with UT/DA at the largest several cogs, but worse and worse with the cogs being smaller and smaller. Critical issue in crit/race, but acceptable for weekend long rides. The lifetime is also much lower than a DA. The largest three cogs died within 1.5 chains, while DA served me 2.5 chains before I tried sroad. I didn't wax chain those times, only thoroughly cleaning them and using spirit.

At less than half price and 15 gr lighter than a DA, you determine if it worths. I switched back to DA for shifting performance.

Maddie

by Maddie

alanyu wrote:I had an sroad 11-28t before. Its shifting performance is on par with UT/DA at the largest several cogs, but worse and worse with the cogs being smaller and smaller.
Exactly my experience too, with an sroad 12s 11-32t. Used it for a couple of 100 kms with a waxed chain but then went for a DA 11-34t and never looked back.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

I have ZTTO on my gravel and MTB's and have had no problems at all. Really impressed with them and they've had a hammering in all weather consitions.

TidyDinosaur

by TidyDinosaur

A little warning about the ZTTO 9-42 XD cassette...

Last friday my ZTTO cassette decided to self destruct...
All of a sudden, while crossing a busy road, my crank was spinning but the rear wheel was not. Seems the smallest 3 cogs had separated themselves from the rest of the cassette. All the pins had failed. Luckily the rest of the cassette was more or less in one piece and I could finish my ride without using the 3 smallest cogs.
Shifting was horrible though and the chain skipped on some cogs. I had no idea why until I took the cassette off the rear wheel when I got home. Not only the smallest 3 cogs came loose, but also in a few other places the cassette had come apart.
I bought 3 of these cassettes and not one worked very good or long. But this one was the worst. I don't know the mileage exactly, but I guess this cassette maybe had 3000 km.
I now replaced it with a SRAM GX 10-42 cassette. Needless to say I expect a much longer life from this cassette.

A little extra info: it is on my gravel bike, I am 63 kg and average 160W on most rides with peaks of 600W. So not the most brutal of circumstances :)

fatpinarellorider

by fatpinarellorider

They look like very small pins. I would not ride that.

TidyDinosaur

by TidyDinosaur

fatpinarellorider wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:50 am
They look like very small pins. I would not ride that.
Yes, don't be like me and waste the money on 3 of these cassettes and the 7 chains (3 waxed chains in rotation for the last 2 cassettes. First chain and cassette were toast after 1000km).
I just saw I did 9000 km in total with that bike till now. So that's 3 cassettes and 7 chains on 9000km :cry: