Seka Exceed RDC

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

captaininch

by captaininch

Hi, recently i've been trying to order one frame directly to Seka through their email. One month ago I made an initial contact via their home email "ride at sekabikes.com" and then they redirected me to Scott Sun (of their sales departement), who sent me the pricing shortly after. Once I made up my mind, I answered him back with a couple questions, and got no answer at all over a week.

Has Anyone had similar experience ? I am quite surprised they do not answer in the pre-sales, this quite discourage me to go through the process of buying one with them if they don't answer through the only communication channel there is.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ChaosMuppet

by ChaosMuppet

captaininch wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:24 am
Has Anyone had similar experience ?
Scott was away for a national holiday week, a few weeks ago. Apart from that he has been very responsive and helpful, even after sale. Try pinging him again, he probably just lost track of your conversation.

captaininch

by captaininch

ChaosMuppet wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:21 am
captaininch wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:24 am
Has Anyone had similar experience ?
Scott was away for a national holiday week, a few weeks ago. Apart from that he has been very responsive and helpful, even after sale. Try pinging him again, he probably just lost track of your conversation.
Thank you, I will give it another shot.

apolloFER

by apolloFER

If you're EU based, there's a dealer now in Netherlands. You can try reaching out to them as well: https://www.sekabikes.com/en/dealer-english/

TriJoeri

by TriJoeri

I've been following along in this thread for quite a while now and the Exceed RDC is still high on my list for a build for 2024 (especially in the lightspeed colors).

Anyone willing to share any longer term experiences now? Which defects or possible negatives did you encounter? Positives?

DeathClassic

by DeathClassic

TriJoeri wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:51 am
I've been following along in this thread for quite a while now and the Exceed RDC is still high on my list for a build for 2024 (especially in the lightspeed colors).

Anyone willing to share any longer term experiences now? Which defects or possible negatives did you encounter? Positives?
For me it's been a good ride. Biggest issue was the seatpost. Whenever I got water in the post while riding in the rain it would wash out the carbon paste and slip like mad. I made a permanent change by spraying some extra clearcoat on the back of the seatpost and putting some fine sand in the clear to create a friction surface (you see this in a lot of handlebars which is where I got the idea). Rock solid and no slippage at all following this.

Also minor issue is the bottle cage bosses had rusted so have added grease to sort. The rest of the bike has been perfect.

TriJoeri

by TriJoeri

DeathClassic wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:56 pm
TriJoeri wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:51 am

For me it's been a good ride. Biggest issue was the seatpost. Whenever I got water in the post while riding in the rain it would wash out the carbon paste and slip like mad. I made a permanent change by spraying some extra clearcoat on the back of the seatpost and putting some fine sand in the clear to create a friction surface (you see this in a lot of handlebars which is where I got the idea). Rock solid and no slippage at all following this.

Also minor issue is the bottle cage bosses had rusted so have added grease to sort. The rest of the bike has been perfect.
Great to hear! I was mostly concerned with the stories I read about the seat post..

Some noted they found the bike to lack stiffness, at 66kg I'm probably not going to put too much load on it but I am planning on using it to race Gran Fondo's competitively so I'd rather not end up with a "noodle" :)

DeathClassic

by DeathClassic

TriJoeri wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:21 am

Great to hear! I was mostly concerned with the stories I read about the seat post..

Some noted they found the bike to lack stiffness, at 66kg I'm probably not going to put too much load on it but I am planning on using it to race Gran Fondo's competitively so I'd rather not end up with a "noodle" :)
I'm 76kg and don't find it bad, the bottom bracket and rear is totally fine. The handlebars are perhaps a bit softer but nowhere a noodle IMO.

eq4ever

by eq4ever

DeathClassic wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:10 am
I'm 76kg and don't find it bad, the bottom bracket and rear is totally fine. The handlebars are perhaps a bit softer but nowhere a noodle IMO.
I'm 64kg and am still getting used to a big drop in stiffness comparing to my previous bike.
It's fall in Poland now so Seka is already indoor and after a few rides on Kickr I can say it's the cockpit that is flexing the most.
It's enough if I grab the drops (the bottom part) and try pushing/pulling up & down - I can see them flexing by a some milimeters!
Top doesn't seem nearly as flexy but seeing drops doing that is rather scary.

Did anybody else notice that? I know Seka changed the cockpit to matte which was supposed to be stiffer - can anybody compare old vs new?

DeathClassic

by DeathClassic

It's quite noticable when switching between my Giant TCR SL and this. I run a shorter (90mm) length with 400mm bars so perhaps might be worse on longer lengths and widths. Personally I don't have an issue with it not being rock-like in stiffness.

eq4ever

by eq4ever

eq4ever wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:55 pm

I'm 64kg and am still getting used to a big drop in stiffness comparing to my previous bike.
It's fall in Poland now so Seka is already indoor and after a few rides on Kickr I can say it's the cockpit that is flexing the most.
It's enough if I grab the drops (the bottom part) and try pushing/pulling up & down - I can see them flexing by a some milimeters!
Top doesn't seem nearly as flexy but seeing drops doing that is rather scary.

Did anybody else notice that? I know Seka changed the cockpit to matte which was supposed to be stiffer - can anybody compare old vs new?
I tried to record it, but it's pretty much impossible to put pressure on cockpit while keeping rest of the bike steady.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i_PxXg ... eFwy1uTzDA

I can see it, because I know it's there - don't know how much it's visible to anybody else.
I'll share this with Seka and see what they say.

I've never had ANY cockpit flex that much before. Even my 'designed to flex' Canyon Grail's doubledecker bar is rock solid under me.

GONE4ARIDE

by GONE4ARIDE

The bar flex is very noticeable in your video.

It will be interesting to see what kind of response you receive from Seka. Please keep us posted.

Maddie

by Maddie

You grab the handlebar at the very end of the drops, you will have the most flex there. I think it's not unusual.
Do you ever sprint in that position? You wouldn't be able to reach your brake lever like that. I'm sure there will be less flex if you grab the handlebar closer to the shifter.

alanyu

by alanyu

It's not only flexing at drop, but the top is also. Way too much in the video.

by 208

i know the old seka cockpit was supermegaflexy, i guess an improvement over supermegaflexy can still just be megaflexy...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com