Sturdy Cycles

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

ArtifactsInMotion wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:13 am
Build slot for a Sidhe locked in for April 2024. Interested to see more of those frames built between now and then.
Mine should arrive this month. I have a Cilla and then I have a Fidah and Keela in the build que for later this year. I wouldn't keep giving Tom my money if these weren't truely exceptional bikes!

What wheels and groupset you thinking?
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

ArtifactsInMotion

by ArtifactsInMotion

CustomMetal wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:17 pm
Right now, DA92 + Bora Ultra WTO80s. After having a bike with DA92, I don't think I'll ever move away from the hood shape. I think the WTO80s are an exceptionally underrated wheelset (and certainly bling with the carbon hubs). Not to mention the traditional 21-spoke lacing pattern is just perfection for a disc brake wheel.

I am still exploring anodizing/coating/paint schemes for the frame, but it will definitely be avoidant of any blues/reds/purples and instead focus on more natural golds, browns, etc.
'22 Orbea Orca Aero 57cm, DA92, Bontrager RSL62, GP5KSTR 28mm, Roval Rapide Cockpit, SLR Superflow Carbonio, 7.8kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

Speak to Tom about the new Strada 55/60s... they are pretty special and 1250g for 55/60 depth but test fast!
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

crlincoln

by crlincoln

ArtifactsInMotion wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:58 pm
CustomMetal wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:17 pm
Right now, DA92 + Bora Ultra WTO80s. After having a bike with DA92, I don't think I'll ever move away from the hood shape. I think the WTO80s are an exceptionally underrated wheelset (and certainly bling with the carbon hubs). Not to mention the traditional 21-spoke lacing pattern is just perfection for a disc brake wheel.

I am still exploring anodizing/coating/paint schemes for the frame, but it will definitely be avoidant of any blues/reds/purples and instead focus on more natural golds, browns, etc.
I'm loving mine, Cilla, and find I use it for all different types of riding from gravel, road even commuting... I had Tom do a few tweaks a little while ago and moved to his newer handlebar design which, I don't know why, I'm finding massively better...

I think the decision around finish is probably the hardest choice to make and he's come along way in the last couple of years on what's possible... although after just watching the latest GCN video of Sturdy's andosing work in theory I can even get that tweaked...

I love Bora WTO wheels, I have both 45's and 60's, although my latest road bike I've just decked out with classified rear hub.. and that means moving away from them :( ... but now tempted to order a titanium 1-piece aero chainring for a bit of bling...

Good luck...

Also if you get a chance to go to his workshop it's great... much better than the shed he used to work from at the bottom of his garden..

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

New bike day! 7.9kg without pedals. Mainly due to wheels which are 1248g 55/60 and not hookless 🥳

Gears are 50-10/33 but because the wheels are soo light and stiff it climbs like it's got a motor. However the Ti absorbs the road buzz. I'm racing it in the club 10 on Monday which will be interesting but this bike is next level 🥰🥰🤩
Attachments
IMG_3978.jpeg
IMG_3977.jpeg
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

crlincoln

by crlincoln

CustomMetal wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:57 pm
New bike day! 7.9kg without pedals. Mainly due to wheels which are 1248g 55/60 and not hookless 🥳

Gears are 50-10/33 but because the wheels are soo light and stiff it climbs like it's got a motor. However the Ti absorbs the road buzz. I'm racing it in the club 10 on Monday which will be interesting but this bike is next level 🥰🥰🤩
Looks stunning!! Let us know how you get on... any thoughts on needing a chain catcher on that setup, or Tom feel there's enough tension in the setup...

mrlobber

by mrlobber

CustomMetal wrote:

Absolutely a WOW bike! To my eyes, the grey chainring looks a bit off, but nonetheless another WW-pictured machine which will sit on my "perhaps one day something similar" list :D
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

crlincoln wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:12 pm
CustomMetal wrote:

Looks stunning!! Let us know how you get on... any thoughts on needing a chain catcher on that setup, or Tom feel there's enough tension in the setup...
The chainring is narrow wide and the RD has a clutch plus won't be taking it off road so should be fine.

It is an absolute weapon!! What most shocks me is the way it climbs. I don't feel I am reaching for another gear when I get to 50-33 because the wheels are so light at stiff (carbon spokes) that it just dances up hills, but the frame absorbs the road buzz on the flat. The position is aggressive and definitely not a bike for longer than a 2 hour ride, but so much fun. Racing it in the club 10 tonight so will see how I get on
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

ArtifactsInMotion

by ArtifactsInMotion

Those Strada weights are INSANITY! Congrats! Definitely got me hyped up for my Sidhe
'22 Orbea Orca Aero 57cm, DA92, Bontrager RSL62, GP5KSTR 28mm, Roval Rapide Cockpit, SLR Superflow Carbonio, 7.8kg

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

ArtifactsInMotion wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:42 pm
Those Strada weights are INSANITY! Congrats! Definitely got me hyped up for my Sidhe
Nice when is yours due? Yeah they are the best wheels I've ridden. Compliment the frame and the ride perfectly. What build spec you going for?
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

ArtifactsInMotion

by ArtifactsInMotion

CustomMetal wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:03 pm
Nice when is yours due? Yeah they are the best wheels I've ridden. Compliment the frame and the ride perfectly. What build spec you going for?
At this point, unless Classified somehow cooks up a 21-spoke configuration that'll work with Campy wheels, a partially-painted+anodized frameset with matching 1x crankset for matching with a classified setup. I'm still on the fence with going SRAM Red and reserving that decision until I see the next gen which is hopefully before my build spot in April 2024