3D print headset spacers?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lucendi

by Lucendi

I saw on R2-bike that Extralite now makes and sell 3D-printed headset spacers.

https://r2-bike.com/EXTRALITE-Spacer-Hy ... -8-Nylon_3

They have an impressively low weight;
2,7 grams for 25mm,
2,4g for 20mm,
1,8g for 15mm,
1,4g for 10mm,
0,4g for 2,5mm

They're made from nylon and look easy and cheap to manufacture.

Does anyone have experience with 3D-printing and can say if this is a good application of the technique?

RobJ

by RobJ

I can’t comment on the quality yet but Shapeways has a bunch of various bike parts 3D printed. I have a custom out front mount on the way. Seems like a great application for odd pieces etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020 BMC TeamMachine SLR 01

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lucendi

by Lucendi

RobJ wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:42 pm
I can’t comment on the quality yet but Shapeways has a bunch of various bike parts 3D printed. I have a custom out front mount on the way. Seems like a great application for odd pieces etc.

I checked out Shapeways and they have a bunch of cool stuff for bicycles!

https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace/t ... e-products

TiBikeNut

by TiBikeNut

It’s a pretty low risk item. Since it’s not a load bearing part.

Theres a company out there trying to make a 3D printed ti pedal. Hope thats tested heavily.

Another product could be the top cap.

It be cool if they make a frame using 3D printing.

joejack951

by joejack951

TiBikeNut wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:34 pm
It’s a pretty low risk item. Since it’s not a load bearing part.
If a headset spacer fails, you lose preload on your headset bearings and your fork is now loose in the frame. I wouldn’t call that low risk.

Those spacers appear to be printed using an HP MultiJet Fusion printer. Straight (unreinforced) nylon off those printers is quite flexible and an odd choice in my opinion for two reasons:

1. HP has a reinforced version of their nylon material that is much stiffer.
2. Not only is it stiffer but it also more dimensionally stable in that it absorbs less water than straight nylon.

I would not be surprised if those spacers changed size enough from a humid summer into a dry winter that there was some resultant play in the headset.

TiBikeNut

by TiBikeNut

Guess it depends what the material they’re using.

DaveS

by DaveS

Makes no sense to use a slow process to make a simple product that's easy to make by other methods.

TiBikeNut

by TiBikeNut

It allows shapes & structure not possible with traditional methods like .... molding or machining.

Check adidas 4d line of shoes

joejack951

by joejack951

TiBikeNut wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:20 pm
Guess it depends what the material they’re using.
Given the surface finish and the stated material of ‘nylon’, I’m 99% certain they are using HP’s MultiJet Fusion process. I have printed 100s of parts using that process/material and it is great for a lot of uses. But I wouldn’t use it for headset spacers.

joejack951

by joejack951

TiBikeNut wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:53 am
It allows shapes & structure not possible with traditional methods like .... molding or machining.
MJF is also very fast (relative to other 3D printing process). My guess is they did one big run of parts which will last them for quite a while. The parts come off the machine virtually ready to sell. All that’s required is some black dye as the material starts off grey.

hannawald

by hannawald

I used to have Extralite delrin spacers and they deformed pretty quickly so they went to the basket. I would expect this from no name aliexpress stuff, not Extralite. This is their 2nd attempt for light spacers, hopefully better. It has different design with reinforcing vertical ribs..

takolino

by takolino

I agree, 3D printed plastics wouldn't be my first choice for stressed parts. I believe I saw someone post about an Extralite FDM printed spacer that fell apart. This was probably their initial version and perhaps they found a better material. SLS nylon may be better suited. I've seen the spacers that come with Farsports F1 bars which looks like 3d printed nylon.

I have personally 3D printed headset spacer shrouds with success. I say "shroud" because I still use a carbon spacer underneath. I do this mainly for stylistic reasons. I just don't like the way most bikes look with round spacers. I use CAD to "fill in" the space and make a shroud that blends the stem shape with the frame. Most modern integrated have this look now but only in the last few years. This is a great way to get a custom spacer made but stil have peace of mind. My Aethos, Strada, and Addict (2017) look better with this approach.

annanikolson

by annanikolson

Hmm, I wonder how much it will cost to manufacture the same parts on your 3D printer? It seems to me that it will be several times cheaper if you have it. But I have not found almost any 3d models for bike parts, it will only cost less if you make the 3d model yourself. And that means you will spend a lot of time on it. Maybe someone knows where you can find 3d models of bike parts?

Lucendi

by Lucendi

annanikolson wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:33 pm
Hmm, I wonder how much it will cost to manufacture the same parts on your 3D printer? It seems to me that it will be several times cheaper if you have it. But I have not found almost any 3d models for bike parts, it will only cost less if you make the 3d model yourself. And that means you will spend a lot of time on it. Maybe someone knows where you can find 3d models of bike parts?
If you can print nylon (definitely requires an all metal hot-end and an enclosure) you can probably make non-functional parts like headset spacers.

Functional parts are probably best made out of aluminium or carbon fiber. That said, you can use 3D-printing in order to make the moulds for making carbon fiber parts.

Easy Composites did a new video where they make forged carbon fiber parts out of 3D-printed moulds in PETG;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25PmqM24HEk

Cleaner

by Cleaner

Nylon is a a poor material to use for a component that is under a constant compressive load. Most polymers under constant load will creep/relax and since these spacers are integral to bearing preload that is not good. Nylon is also hygroscopic which means it is not dimensionally stable in varying humidity in the atmosphere another further risking the preload.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com