New Vision Metron 45SL first look!!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Taiyoto

by Taiyoto

pmprego wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:32 pm
petromyzon wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:45 pm
The classic Shimano c24 shallow carbon laminate clinchers were 16fr 20r spoke count. Plenty of big riders on those back in the day.

I think there is plenty of market for wheels that are aero with 28mm tyres. Especially now that 28mm actually means 28mm and not 31mm. I'm pretty certain that for the vast majority of UK roads a 28mm is a better choice; even if I could be just as fast on a 25mm I wouldn't want to risk the rim damage.
Yeah but these hunt are disc brake wheels.
hey dude, he is my friend

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Taiyoto

by Taiyoto

i don't know whats your point, if you have this wheels, please wellcome to discuss,
but if you dont have it, please to buy first, try , test and write some comments.

Taiyoto

by Taiyoto

tjvirden wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:18 am
Nickldn wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:55 am
That's the thing you see, I don't think that wider wheels are more aero, I think they are less aero.

We have been told wider tyres have a lower RR, so then you need wider wheels for the 105% aero rule. But when you get to 33mm wide wheels that means you can run 31mm tyres and still not break the 105% rule. Who is going to run 31mm tyres with 60mm deep wheels? That's a niche market. Gravel aero?

So why manufacturers are making these wide and deep wheels is what I'm trying to understand. What's the benefit for someone who uses 25mm tyres?
There's a balance to be struck. These new Visions are definitely optimised for a tire wider than an actual 25mm, so if you want to use an actual 25mm then it won't be ideal most of the time. What size of tire do you optimise for though? An actual 28mm on the front is now common amongst the pros. and perhaps for good reason. At Roubaix you now see some examples of a 32mm tire on a 60mm rim - niche for the pros, but it's still road, not gravel. Next year they'll be many 30mm tires at the Classics.

The 105% rule was really always a rule-of-thumb and it definitely doesn't give one perfect answer. Key to the new generation of rims is acceptance that shape (of the tire and rim as a unit) is just as important as actual size, generally with a yaw of more than about 5 degrees. Once you start looking at 12+degrees yaw and especially once the airflow is "stalled" at higher yaw, then handling becomes a real factor and that's where the fatter rim (at the front) really shines. Aero has many different "definitions".
I agree your point, thanks bro

pmprego

by pmprego

In the meantime, these wheels kind of disappeared, didn't they? No reviews after info release.

alanyu

by alanyu

pmprego wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:34 pm
In the meantime, these wheels kind of disappeared, didn't they? No reviews after info release.
Tour test (2022.01) has already spoken something on them...

okx

by okx

I know, it's a old topic, but maybe anyone got these wheels and can share experience?

HBike

by HBike

okx wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 7:42 pm
I know, it's a old topic, but maybe anyone got these wheels and can share experience?
Would like to know, too.

okx

by okx

HBike wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 2:04 pm
okx wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 7:42 pm
Would like to know, too.
looks like these wheels exists, but no one bought them...

jlok

by jlok

My friend has them. He loves it. Fast acceleration and light (1.3xkg without the original 30g x2 rim tapes). Loud free hub. Interestingly the P Zero Race 28mm (Made in Italy) expands only to 28.4mm on the 21mm wide rim. My 26mm expands to the same width on my AR45. Spoke noise on the rear under high torque / acceleration and I know he's gonna drop me soon whenever I hear that, not as loud as 1st-gen CLX 50 db tho.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

HBike

by HBike

jlok wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 11:31 am
My friend has them. He loves it. Fast acceleration and light (1.3xkg without the original 30g x2 rim tapes). Loud free hub. Interestingly the P Zero Race 28mm (Made in Italy) expands only to 28.4mm on the 21mm wide rim. My 26mm expands to the same width on my AR45. Spoke noise on the rear under high torque / acceleration and I know he's gonna drop me soon whenever I hear that, not as loud as 1st-gen CLX 50 db tho.
Thanks.
Recommended system weight is 90 kg to maintain performance of the wheelset according to Vision, which I somehow expected due to the low number of spokes.
So this isn't a wheelset for me, too much body building in the past ;-)
So DT Swiss ERC 1100 45 DB and Newmen SL.R.42 are the ones on my list now, which I can get for a similar amount. The corresponding Aeolus or Reserve wheels are much more expensive.

okx

by okx

jlok wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 11:31 am
Hey,
could you ask your friend about stability in cross winds? if he had other wheels how they compare to them?

extrusionedwin

by extrusionedwin

vision metron 45SL have some issues
1. deflection in the rim and the spokes more or les 1-3mm
2. the manufacturer says this is normal.

almost 95% all wheels has this problem

so depends in the riders, some can accept and others no.

okx

by okx

extrusionedwin wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 11:16 am

Is it really the issue? if guys riding them at pro level, it shouldn't be an issue, unless pro teams getting not the same products what goes for sale.

toxin

by toxin

okx wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:28 pm
extrusionedwin wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 11:16 am

Is it really the issue? if guys riding them at pro level, it shouldn't be an issue, unless pro teams getting not the same products what goes for sale.
Wouldn't be the first time pros are riding inferior equipment because they are being paid to.

okx

by okx

Taiyoto wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:44 am
Since the Tour de France, there have been players sneaking into the field. In the Tour de France, Wout van Aert, the all-round god of war in Belgium, directly took it twice to win the single station at the same time. The new generation of Metron SL wheels has passed the test of the competition level. All the technology on it is not just a gorgeous propaganda slogan, but a real effort.

Because New Metron SL is both mysterious and eye-catching in the three major races, it makes me hard not to be uninterested in it. After all, it allows top drivers to sneak in and use the labeling method to use it. It seems that this thing must be a small bad thing. The bad must be studied carefully. The entanglement with the VISION finally made me borrow the Metron 45 SL to measure it and let everyone smell it, and see if this new wheel is scented or not? Where is the fragrance again?

The appearance of the revised Metron 45 SL is very similar to the appearance of the wheels stealthily used during the competition. All the stickers are black, and only the SL next to the 45 is so white. With such an overly low-key appearance, it is really difficult for people to write about the shapes for it; but the new generation of PRS hubs is obviously different from the previous generations, and the appearance has become more chain-washed, which is actually the same as the entire wheel set. The design atmosphere is quite in harmony, and they are all representatives of the kind of secret practice and undesired practice.

The weight data of the tubeless version of Metron 45 SL disc brake is 1373 grams. Although it is not extremely lightweight, it is still above the standard. This can be felt in static starting and climbing. It is indeed better than the previous generation of 40. SL is much lighter; but if it is a disc brake tube tyre version, it weighs only 1,299 grams, which is quite pleasing.

The successful weight reduction Metron 45 SL represents a wider range of attacks. The long climbs that used to be limited by weight now have lightweight assists. From hilly areas to long slopes can be regarded as within the combat radius.

In addition to weight, it is worth noting that Vision is betting on the PRS hubs of the new-generation Metron 45 and 60 SL series this time. PRS is the abbreviation of Power Ratchet System. The focus is on the word Ratchet, which means that PRS has also abandoned the traditional pawl design and has kept up with the ratchet design with more optimal joints. It is also the mainstream of the development of many international brands.

Therefore, the PRS hub equipped with the Metron 45 SL benefits from the 72-tooth ratio, and the starting response is much faster and more direct than the traditional pawl hub. In addition to changing the pawl to the ratchet to bring a better contact area, Vision I also moved my hands and feet here, changing the normal flat ratchets to angled vertebral ratchets. In this way, the lateral driving force of the hub can be increased again, and this design is most impressive when getting up and pulling the car.

In addition to PRS hubs, Metron 45 and 60 SL are also fully replaced with wider wheels for better aerodynamic effects. This time, the inner width of the Metron SL tubeless version comes directly to 21mm, and the widest part of the outer frame is more than 31mm. The appearance of the standard fat frame is just in line with the current trend of wide tires above 25mm, and it can effectively eliminate the side. Wind spoiler. Therefore, it is not for no reason that brands have made fat frames in recent years. In addition to making the frame bigger, Vision can also help it reduce weight, and at the same time reinforce the joints of the spokes. This is the mystery of the evolution of the new generation Metron SL. Place.

With the combination of lightweight, PRS hub and fat frame, Metron SL has obtained a fairly comprehensive evolution. The conclusion is the victory of Bahrain, the outstanding results of EF Education this season, and the private naming of many drivers. After personally riding the Metron 45 SL, do you think you want to kill a bunch of people in the hills? Then this mid-frame wheel with fast start, light weight and optimized aerodynamics is definitely suitable!

Introduction of Metron 45 and 60 SL:
https://youtu.be/RnPuDnEA7Ec

PRS Hub Introduction:
https://youtu.be/OKPJGL3xD80
Just got yesterday the incredible new vision metron
1. The outside wide is 33 for clincher and inside is 21mm
2. The new PRS hub is a combination with DT and CK with 72T (The hubs feature the new Vision PRS technology, with a 72-tooth engagement system. This provides greater smoothness and a better grip gear angle. They are designed for the Centerlock system, while an adapter for 6-Bolt configuration will be available. They are available for SH11 (and 12) and XDR.
3. Weight Clincher 1380 grams

here we go

First ride with 21% climb, it is very good with 72T comparing with 36T,very stiff more than 36T or 52T. I could say these wheels is for a Pro-rider, needs 200Watts to ride to handle this beatiful wiheels.
the tire 25c wider meausures 28.5mm and the rim is 33mm. Super very arerodinamic

PS: The max PSI: 103, today I test with 95 PSI.
Do you still riding these wheels? If yes, did you had any issues with them? And maybe you have full photo of Aethos with these wheels?
I'm thinking about 2nd wheelset for Aethos :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com