Shigura (Shimano road lever & Magura disc caliper)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Hexsense

by Hexsense

tomtom wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:14 am
RDY wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:07 pm
Has anyone tried this lately? Saw someone comment about it on a CycleSpeed YT video.

Magura do their MT8 SL in FM (Flat Mount), and I think all their MT8s can accommodate between 140 and 200mm rotors.

AFAIK the amount of fluid they push is ballpark the same, for the 2 piston designs, and the fluid question could be solved with Bionol.

But how do you connect them? Aren't hoses different sizes?

The Maguras are a lot more powerful than DA / UT and have more clearance (if using thinner road rotors) and better piston retraction. Also I think they'll be lighter than DA.

I've also thought about trying Formula Curas (their QDC is a big advantage).
DA is lighter, the new 9270 has more clearance and braking is super (also according to numerous testers/reviews). Normally the critical point is tyre friction/roadcontact and/or rider skills and not so much the discbraking power itself. So I'm very curious which (real) advantages a switch to MT8 SL could/should bring.
Consistency.
On road:
My 8170 (released together with 9270) piston roll back wasn't consistent on the first few rides. Like, I set up so the rotor to be centered in between the pads. Slow ride, it's fine.
Then on real ride after it gets a bit warm, one piston retract less than the another. So my disc rotor is no longer centered in between the gap.
I re center the caliper after the ride for like 5 rides. Then it settle down and become noise free eventually. I hope it's just settle in and stay that way and don't develop another common problem of fluid slowly weep through the piston and create ring of oil behind the brake pads which can contaminate the rotor. Finger cross.

On mtb, you can also search about "wandering bite point" which plague minority of Shimano brake users for years. It only happen to some, not all, in a rare moment (mostly fast down hill with repeatedly on and off braking) that is hard to replicate at a bike shop. That's why Shimano can get away not fixing its brake consistency.

All my other disc brake systems from other manufacturers (Magura, Sram, Hope, Hayes) have been more consistent so far.

I still keep my 8170 caliper on my road bike though. But if it act up again, I'll definitely switch the caliper away from Shimano.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dslaw

by dslaw

Hexsense wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:45 pm
tomtom wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:14 am
RDY wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:07 pm
Has anyone tried this lately? Saw someone comment about it on a CycleSpeed YT video.

Magura do their MT8 SL in FM (Flat Mount), and I think all their MT8s can accommodate between 140 and 200mm rotors.

AFAIK the amount of fluid they push is ballpark the same, for the 2 piston designs, and the fluid question could be solved with Bionol.

But how do you connect them? Aren't hoses different sizes?

The Maguras are a lot more powerful than DA / UT and have more clearance (if using thinner road rotors) and better piston retraction. Also I think they'll be lighter than DA.

I've also thought about trying Formula Curas (their QDC is a big advantage).
DA is lighter, the new 9270 has more clearance and braking is super (also according to numerous testers/reviews). Normally the critical point is tyre friction/roadcontact and/or rider skills and not so much the discbraking power itself. So I'm very curious which (real) advantages a switch to MT8 SL could/should bring.
Consistency.
On road:
My 8170 (released together with 9270) piston roll back wasn't consistent on the first few rides. Like, I set up so the rotor to be centered in between the pads. Slow ride, it's fine.
Then on real ride after it gets a bit warm, one piston retract less than the another. So my disc rotor is no longer centered in between the gap.
I re center the caliper after the ride for like 5 rides. Then it settle down and become noise free eventually. I hope it's just settle in and stay that way and don't develop another common problem of fluid slowly weep through the piston and create ring of oil behind the brake pads which can contaminate the rotor. Finger cross.

On mtb, you can also search about "wandering bite point" which plague minority of Shimano brake users for years. It only happen to some, not all, in a rare moment (mostly fast down hill with repeatedly on and off braking) that is hard to replicate at a bike shop. That's why Shimano can get away not fixing its brake consistency.

All my other disc brake systems from other manufacturers (Magura, Sram, Hope, Hayes) have been more consistent so far.

I still keep my 8170 caliper on my road bike though. But if it act up again, I'll definitely switch the caliper away from Shimano.
Seems to be similar to my experience.

My Magura's are set to arrive in the next week. Will post any feedback from install and use.

dslaw

by dslaw

An update on this: I got the MT8 SL Flat Mounts in late 2022 but didn't get them installed until this week.

I took it in to a local mechanic who's done this before.
The set up:
- Magura MT8 SL Flat Mount Calipers
- Shimano Ultegra 8170 levers (12 speed Di2)
- Magura Hose, barb, and olive

I've read numerous reports that I should use the Shimano olive. Talking to my mechanic, the Magura olive achieves the same result (in his experience).

Can report back if I find any leaks or have issues. Took it for a quick spin here and they feel quite a bit stronger than my ultegra calipers.

Xabi

by Xabi

dslaw wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:57 am
An update on this: I got the MT8 SL Flat Mounts in late 2022 but didn't get them installed until this week.

The set up:

I've read numerous reports that I should use the Shimano olive. Talking to my mechanic, the Magura olive achieves the same result (in his experience).

Can report back if I find any leaks or have issues. Took it for a quick spin here and they feel quite a bit stronger than my ultegra calipers.
My local mechanic says that Shimano hoses should be fine. I use ultegra 8070 levers with bh59 hoses and "old non series" flat mount calipers, the rear one is pretty annoying with random rubbing noises, especially the first couple of minutes of my ride.

I m waiting till I wear down my Shimano rotors to go shigura, according to my mechanic magura pads need a little cut not to mess with rotors that have fins popping out.

dslaw

by dslaw

Xabi wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:10 pm
dslaw wrote:

The set up:

My local mechanic says that Shimano hoses should be fine. I use ultegra 8070 levers with bh59 hoses and "old non series" flat mount calipers, the rear one is pretty annoying with random rubbing noises, especially the first couple of minutes of my ride.

I m waiting till I wear down my Shimano rotors to go shigura, according to my mechanic magura pads need a little cut not to mess with rotors that have fins popping out.
I ended up switching to Galfer pads right out of the gate. The green series (pro I think?) don't require any bedding-in time and work extremely well on my other bikes.

Xabi

by Xabi

What rotors are you using? Does it interfere with them?

dslaw

by dslaw

I'm using the Swiss stop ones - apparently stiffer than shimano but I've yet to confirm that

Zero interference out of the box

Conradsleight

by Conradsleight

dslaw wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:12 pm
Xabi wrote:
dslaw wrote:

The set up:

I ended up switching to Galfer pads right out of the gate. The green series (pro I think?) don't require any bedding-in time and work extremely well on my other bikes.
Interesting, can you expand on your experience with the Galfer pads?

I am running r9170 calipers with Galfer rotors, and L05A pads. Curious if in the future switching to Galfer pads would make much difference. Also curious how they don't need any bedding-in??

Xabi

by Xabi

I kind of like Shimano organic pads, they last long, they are cheap and silent. I wouldn't pay the premium for other brands unless I couldn't get Shimano ones

RDY

by RDY

Xabi wrote:
dslaw wrote:

The set up:

I don't think that's true. I've never heard of any Magura calipers having issues with Shimano rotors. The rivets nuts on Hope floating rotors however will not clear any Magura rear calipers AFAIK though.

Xabi

by Xabi

He uses rotor uno 1x13 with rotor (magura mt8) calipers and Shimano rotors on his own bike.

He has sold more than one rotor groupsets xD

RDY

by RDY

Well I've seen plenty of Shimano rotors with both FM and PM magura calipers and not seen the problem ... but he might be the first person to sell more than one Rotor groupset.

pipii

by pipii

Tired of endlessly waiting for trickstuff c22, ready to swap c21 out of curiosity. Waiting for my shigura kit to arrive and see how the galfer discs and trickstuff 830A pads turn out on this.
sworks sl8 rtp 56 5.77kg
factor ostro vam 56 6.15kg
specialized allez sprint 2023 7.13kg

retired:
Lapierre aircode 2017
specialized sl7 56 6.75kg

pipii

by pipii

89g per caliper with trickstuff 830A pad in it(80g itself), not bad.
Attachments
5343bcf7093a55cc06181ac3dad2118.jpg
sworks sl8 rtp 56 5.77kg
factor ostro vam 56 6.15kg
specialized allez sprint 2023 7.13kg

retired:
Lapierre aircode 2017
specialized sl7 56 6.75kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com