Shigura (Shimano road lever & Magura disc caliper)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RDY

by RDY

Has anyone tried this lately? Saw someone comment about it on a CycleSpeed YT video.

Magura do their MT8 SL in FM (Flat Mount), and I think all their MT8s can accommodate between 140 and 200mm rotors.

AFAIK the amount of fluid they push is ballpark the same, for the 2 piston designs, and the fluid question could be solved with Bionol.

But how do you connect them? Aren't hoses different sizes?

The Maguras are a lot more powerful than DA / UT and have more clearance (if using thinner road rotors) and better piston retraction. Also I think they'll be lighter than DA.

I've also thought about trying Formula Curas (their QDC is a big advantage).
Last edited by RDY on Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QuackMD

by QuackMD

Works pretty well with MTB levers, which are also compatible with the Shimano road calipers, so I don't see why road levers wouldn't work with magura calipers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

RDY wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:07 pm
But how do you connect them? Aren't hoses different sizes?
No experience but there have been some Magura threads in the past I seem to recall that both Magura and Jagwire market the adapters/hardware.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

jch3n

by jch3n

Not sure about road levers, but with MTB you don't need any adapters to put together a Shigura setup. You can use a Shimano barb and olive in the Magura hose and then just make sure to use the Shimano nut to connect the hose. I believe that using the Magura barb and olive with Shimano nut also works fine.

IvanZg

by IvanZg

I did some research on this subject as I'm in the process of building new disc equipped bike. It seems that this setup should work without issues as long as you opt for Magura caliper with Magura hose and barb plus Shimano olive and connecting nut. Apparently if Shimano barb is used system tends to leak after a while.

@RDY
Do you know what the difference between MT8 and MT4 calipers is? When looking at weights on r2bike for both systems with hoses and levers MT4 setup seems to be a bit heavier. But I'm not sure if this comes from the fact they use better quality brake lever. Also on r2bike description tells that caliper is one piece forged out of aluminum (same as MT8). Magura webpage does not say much about MT4 calipers’ construction.
If calipers are the same then ordering 2x complete MT4 brakes seems like cheap and elegant solution for assembly with Shimano levers.

Lozaen

by Lozaen

As far as i recall, MT8 is slightly lighter and the calipers are made in Germany. MT4 is made in Asia.
MT6 and MT8 used to share the caliper in the past, not sure about the current generation.
Interested in buying Carbonsport Lightweight wheels with broken spokes.

BMC Teammachine SLR01 Disc Team 2018|Ridley Helium | Kuota Kross|Cannondale Scalpel 29 Hi-Mod

RDY

by RDY

R2 has "MT8 / MT4 / MT8SL" calipers only listed. That would tend to suggest that as of now the caliper is an identical unit. Someone should probably clarify though.

QuackMD

by QuackMD

IvanZg wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:03 am
I did some research on this subject as I'm in the process of building new disc equipped bike. It seems that this setup should work without issues as long as you opt for Magura caliper with Magura hose and barb plus Shimano olive and connecting nut. Apparently if Shimano barb is used system tends to leak after a while.

@RDY
Do you know what the difference between MT8 and MT4 calipers is? When looking at weights on r2bike for both systems with hoses and levers MT4 setup seems to be a bit heavier. But I'm not sure if this comes from the fact they use better quality brake lever. Also on r2bike description tells that caliper is one piece forged out of aluminum (same as MT8). Magura webpage does not say much about MT4 calipers’ construction.
If calipers are the same then ordering 2x complete MT4 brakes seems like cheap and elegant solution for assembly with Shimano levers.
Could you point me in the direction of a source for the barb recommendation? All the setups, bar one, use the shimano barb and olive with no reported problems.

IvanZg

by IvanZg

QuackMD wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:17 pm
Could you point me in the direction of a source for the barb recommendation? All the setups, bar one, use the shimano barb and olive with no reported problems.
I read it as a comment in few places. One of them that i remember was on YouTube video where guy used Magura hose with Shimano barb and had a leak after few weeks of using. Got some comments he was supposed to use Magura one, which he did later on and had zero issues.

Last comment mentions recommendation that barb should be used based on the hose brand
https://www.mtbr.com/threads/brake-hose ... r.1131385/

Here it is mentioned that Magura and Shimano have different ID which might explain why sticking to the same brand of hose/barb works more reliably
https://bicycles.stackexchange.com/ques ... -standards

QuackMD

by QuackMD

Thanks, much appreciated!

belopsky

by belopsky

An updates on this topic? I find myself with some Magura calipers (but no road levers) but interested to try..

QuackMD

by QuackMD

Froome uses a magura front caliper so it does work, but nobody can really tell you if you get the desired pad clearance. When Froome was interviewed about the new Factor bike he was riding he pointed out he disliked the rotor rub he was expriencing which would imply he's using the magura caliper for this very reason (more pad clearance/better retraction). If you're just looking for no brake rub, look no further than brakestuff rotors; a bit heavier than any "ultra light" rotor but I've not heard a peep on them since installing them.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

RDY wrote:R2 has "MT8 / MT4 / MT8SL" calipers only listed. That would tend to suggest that as of now the caliper is an identical unit. Someone should probably clarify though.
Those calipers are identical yes, only the lever/leverbody is different

thePrince

by thePrince

Same question but SRAM instead of Shimano...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

walfisch

by walfisch

Hi, was thinking of running a shigur a setup for my road bike. Couple of questions I hope you guys can help me with

1) which hose should I be using? Magura or Shimano?
2) magura olive and barb on the caliper end, shimano olive and barb on the lever end?
3) magura or shimano brake fluid?

Appreciate the help!