Shigura (Shimano road lever & Magura disc caliper)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

Could one mix SRAM road levers with SRAM Code or Hayes Dominion A4 calipers?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Shigura works because their fluid displacement/piston ratio are similar.
On MTB, Hayes Dominion doesn't mix with anything else other than Hayes lever.

jff

by jff

walfisch wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:38 pm
Hi, was thinking of running a shigur a setup for my road bike. Couple of questions I hope you guys can help me with

1) which hose should I be using? Magura or Shimano? doesn't matter
2) magura olive and barb on the caliper end, shimano olive and barb on the lever end? indeed
3) magura or shimano brake fluid? except for the color, they are the same oil, you can choose

Appreciate the help!

dslaw

by dslaw

RDY wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:07 pm
Has anyone tried this lately? Saw someone comment about it on a CycleSpeed YT video.

Magura do their MT8 SL in FM (Flat Mount), and I think all their MT8s can accommodate between 140 and 200mm rotors.

AFAIK the amount of fluid they push is ballpark the same, for the 2 piston designs, and the fluid question could be solved with Bionol.

But how do you connect them? Aren't hoses different sizes?

The Maguras are a lot more powerful than DA / UT and have more clearance (if using thinner road rotors) and better piston retraction. Also I think they'll be lighter than DA.

I've also thought about trying Formula Curas (their QDC is a big advantage).
I wanted to revive this thread as I'm looking to do something similar.
Long time Shimano user - getting frustrated at the quality of the brakes and brake rub - so looking to find an alternative.

Have just tried going with the Hope RX4+ Calipers - it was a total nightmare for me.
After about 5 full bleeds both front and back are currently submitted for a warranty request. Both losing fluid through the pistons.

I have the Magura MT8 SL FM on order at the moment - will get these mounted, installed and bled in the next couple weeks.
If there's any interest I can post my findings.

hartox

by hartox

Yes please!

The Trickstuff C22 is another option..

dslaw

by dslaw

hartox wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:46 pm
Yes please!

The Trickstuff C22 is another option..

I did see this as an option - I'm in Canada and would be out of luck for parts if things went wrong.
Would be curious if anyone else has had success with these, though.

kitchencity

by kitchencity

Campagnolo calipers were designed by and are made by Magura seemingly - the made in Germany sticker on the campagnolo box supports this.

That said, presently I'm running 8100 levers and front caliper and rear campagnol - both brand new. I'm not sure whether shimano truly have designed a caliper that retracts is pistons more effectively but it certainly appears to be dramatically better on my installation. I've no experience with other shimano road disc generations.

dslaw

by dslaw

kitchencity wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:00 pm
Campagnolo calipers were designed by and are made by Magura seemingly - the made in Germany sticker on the campagnolo box supports this.

That said, presently I'm running 8100 levers and front caliper and rear campagnol - both brand new. I'm not sure whether shimano truly have designed a caliper that retracts is pistons more effectively but it certainly appears to be dramatically better on my installation. I've no experience with other shimano road disc generations.
They are indeed made by/with Magura.
With that said, did you use the Magura Royal Blood fluid or Shimano Mineral Oil (red)?

Lots of debate around the fluid despite being both mineral oils. I asked my local shop mechanic to reach out to the Magura head mechanic in North America - apparently they're aware of the 'shigura' setups but don't recommend because they "say" the shimano mineral oil will eventually deteriorate the magura seals.

kitchencity

by kitchencity

I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand, but given people have been running these for over a decade in MTB land, its well within my risk tolerance.

kitchencity

by kitchencity

I'm using shimano as that's what I had to hand.

dslaw

by dslaw

kitchencity wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:15 pm
I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand, but given people have been running these for over a decade in MTB land, its well within my risk tolerance.
That's about where I'm at.

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

sorry for hi-jacking the thread. I was once told some Shimano road levers dont work with 4 pot calipers as their resvior does not hold enough liquid to allow the piston to actuate fully. However, this was at least 2 years ago, is this still the case? i saw Chris Froome's bike using 4-pot calipers, presumably the Dura Ace line is ok with 4-pot calipers?
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

RDY

by RDY

C22 has been pending availability for over a year now ... haven't asked TrickStuff in 6+ months but they had no idea back then when it'd be available.

C21 also unobtainium.

So not really an option.

I did briefly ride a GRX Di2 brifter with MT FM caliper combo about a month ago. It felt much better (more feel / modulation / power) than DA9270 on my road bike or non-Di2 GRX on my gravel bike.

dslaw

by dslaw

WorkonSunday wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:33 am
sorry for hi-jacking the thread. I was once told some Shimano road levers dont work with 4 pot calipers as their resvior does not hold enough liquid to allow the piston to actuate fully. However, this was at least 2 years ago, is this still the case? i saw Chris Froome's bike using 4-pot calipers, presumably the Dura Ace line is ok with 4-pot calipers?
The Magura's in question for the Road caliper swap I'm considering are the 2 piston variety (MT8 SL Flat Mount).
I think given some of the uncertainty around mixing brands and fluids already, I didn't want to introduce another variable to the mix and will stick with a like-for-like piston equivalent. (And I personally don't need the stopping power of 4 piston brakes on my road/gravel bike). Just my 2 cents.
Last edited by dslaw on Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dslaw

by dslaw

RDY wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:21 pm
C22 has been pending availability for over a year now ... haven't asked TrickStuff in 6+ months but they had no idea back then when it'd be available.

C21 also unobtainium.

So not really an option.

I did briefly ride a GRX Di2 brifter with MT FM caliper combo about a month ago. It felt much better (more feel / modulation / power) than DA9270 on my road bike or non-Di2 GRX on my gravel bike.
Trickstuff won't even deal with customers until their new website is up. There's a few dealers in the US that are listed to sell Trickstuff gear and have reached out to them to see availabilty and pricing but I imagine it'll be similar to what you're seeing.

Spare parts here being a big concern.

I plan to hook up these Magura's to 8170 levers. Glad to hear the feedback is positive!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com