Wahoo speedplay zero - weird side to side movement

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ms6073

by ms6073

Vjl wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:38 pm
I just switched back to original speedplay zero's after 10 drive side Wahoo speedplay lateral play problems
You have infinitly more patience than I as I gave up after the 3rd failure.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Sucks but I guess on the brightside, I am still waiting for this to be resolved before I dive into this. I have not given up hope.

welchy

by welchy

Just to say, I had this resolved on my third pair that have been good for many miles. And I've just gone ahead with the purchase of the power version (dual sided) which are working great as well.

Hold out hope guys!

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

welchy wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:07 pm
Just to say, I had this resolved on my third pair that have been good for many miles. And I've just gone ahead with the purchase of the power version (dual sided) which are working great as well.

Hold out hope guys!
Folks shouldn't have to hold out hope, though. The product should work as advertised.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Yes, that is true, but if it was, there would be no such thing as software updates.

I have always believed that a manufacturer could build a product that was perfect, but it would be 20 years too late, and would not sell at all. People don't buy outdated items. I also do not believe good manufacturers purposely make junk. There's probably is not a lot of manufacturers here that can explain why things fail but if there was, there probably is a lot of reasons.

The purpose of a warranty, is to assure you that if there is a problem, they will take care of it.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Butcher wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:01 pm
Yes, that is true, but if it was, there would be no such thing as software updates.

I have always believed that a manufacturer could build a product that was perfect, but it would be 20 years too late, and would not sell at all. People don't buy outdated items. I also do not believe good manufacturers purposely make junk. There's probably is not a lot of manufacturers here that can explain why things fail but if there was, there probably is a lot of reasons.

The purpose of a warranty, is to assure you that if there is a problem, they will take care of it.

Well, they did buy a product that worked - in that there was no issue with side to side slop - and reworked it such that there was.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Yes, that is what engineers seem to do. Take a good product, make it better, then come up with 'updates' to make it work. I have always wondered if they do that just to show the boss they are doing something.

scico

by scico

Update.
My third realease of Wahoo Comp lasted 7 month but there is a lateral play now on the left pedal.
That would have been the version that solved the problem. I'm going to keep them (out of warranty and tired to send back the pedals)

RDY

by RDY

VP should revive the Bebops and sell them with a 3 bolt mid foot compatible cleat. Update the look with black and gold TiN and they'd sell by the bucket load. With the new Wahoo Speedplays being seriously defective, there should be a lot of interest - significantly lighter too.

scico

by scico

No further news on lateral movement?

GaBa

by GaBa

I would also be interested if problems are solved? Changed to Shimano pedals for now but would still consider going back to "speedplay" with powermeter if they fixed their issues with lateral play.

JayOJonson

by JayOJonson

my warranty replacement second set of speedplay power pedals have came off the spindle again, any idea if latest ones have been redesigned?

damond

by damond

My powerlinks have had no issues since i got them more than one year ago.

I have had a few sets of zero's and nano's replaced under warranty because of the play but not the powerlinks.

njleach

by njleach

I bought a set of Powrlink pedals shortly after they were announced. Developed the lateral play issue about 8 months later. Received a replacement set under warranty and sold them. Have now moved to a spindle-based PM

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Sure seems like a hit and miss with those pedals. Not trying to blame anyone but some people seem have all the bad luck and keep getting bad ones. Others have no problems. Again, not blaming anyone for their bad luck. I am waiting till the dust settles because I really want to get on board with Speedplay again.