Wahoo speedplay zero - weird side to side movement

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pesos

by pesos

Hmm. I have a pair of new-in-box power pedals sitting here that I ordered on 8/30 (still waiting for my frame to arrive to put them on). Wonder if these are a "fixed" pair or if I should proactively try and exchange?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

How do you get something fixed that is not broken yet?

I get that you want the latest version but I suspect they are willing to warranty any that are really broken, not any that may breakin the future.

pesos

by pesos

From the article referenced it sounds like manufacturing has changed in the August/Sept timeframe. Am curious whether or not what I ordered was manufactured under this new/improved process or the prior potentially faulty one.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

pesos If you have another bike to install your pedals on just to run them long enough for the faults that might occur with side to side then I would do that. Least then you can get a warranty replacement now rather than later.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

scico

by scico

My third pair ar still working well. No lateral movement. Now the questin is may I try to change spindles or I'd do the damage?

ms6073

by ms6073

pesos wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:46 am
Hmm. I have a pair of new-in-box power pedals sitting here that I ordered on 8/30 (still waiting for my frame to arrive to put them on). Wonder if these are a "fixed" pair or if I should proactively try and exchange?
For the 2 sets I have sent in for warranty, when I submitted the support ticket, Wahoo required that I upload a video that demonstrated the lateral play in the spindle.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

ms6073

by ms6073

scico wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:00 pm
My third pair ar still working well. No lateral movement. Now the questin is may I try to change spindles or I'd do the damage?
Most of those reporting the issue in this thread had not swapped spindles and I suspect the only part the spindle played, was during manufacturing when a technician or machine pressed the spindle/bearing assembly to far into the pedal body.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

milanv

by milanv

ms6073 wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:41 pm
pesos wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:46 am
For the 2 sets I have sent in for warranty, when I submitted the support ticket, Wahoo required that I upload a video that demonstrated the lateral play in the spindle.
My second one warranty exchange the same - video requirement, strange.

dalex

by dalex

What is the score with newly manufactured pedals? Are many still developing play? I need to replace my old, original Speedplay Zeros and trying to work out if I should choose a different pedal system...

ms6073

by ms6073

dalex wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:11 pm
What is the score with newly manufactured pedals? Are many still developing play? I need to replace my old, original Speedplay Zeros and trying to work out if I should choose a different pedal system...
It is hard to answer this question because Wahoo was notably silent on effected manufacuring dates, lots, or serial numbers thus there is no reliable means to determine when pedals purchased today where manufactured. I think the company has adopted this stance as Wahoo wants to avoid the hit on sales like occurred with the Kickr SmartTrainer fiasco several years back.
- Michael

uncle-gee

by uncle-gee

https://cyclingtips.com/2022/11/adapt-i ... p-hawkins/

He claims they solved Speedplay issue (end of the article). Is it true, any real world experience?

The link doesn't seem to work on my side. Intentionally removed somehow to hide the issue? Shall ask Elon to have a look in the Twitter files :D

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

So, can anyone say they have the newest upgraded pedal and confirm it works? I suspect the only way to know for certain is to let time go by and see what happens.

scico

by scico

scico wrote:My third pair ar still working well. No lateral movement. Now the questin is may I try to change spindles or I'd do the damage?
I can confirm that the third pair works faultlessly.

Inviato dal mio SM-A405FN utilizzando Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Looks like I may be purchasing a set of power pedals by spring.

Thanks for those with their updates. If there are more, I am certain I am not the only one that would appreciate it.