Wahoo speedplay zero - weird side to side movement

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

we51

by we51

Well, Cycling Tips have covered it (as noted in Post #140 of this thread):

https://cyclingtips.com/2022/08/review- ... dal-range/

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

Lina wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:20 pm
bockers wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:10 am
Am surprised that no mention is made of this issue in the cycling press. Only found a single YouTube video showing the play but no comments allowed.
I am now awaiting my 3rd set of Zeros and second set of Comps. All pairs have failed in under 100 miles. Mixture of left and right failed, and one both failed.

Wahoo have always replaced without issue but I'm wondering if I'll ever get a decent pair.
On the plus side I have plenty of spare cleats!
You're surprised cycling media doesn't bite the hand that feeds them? The business model for pretty much the entire cycling media is to write stuff about cycling things that are coming out so people read their stuff. If they are overly negative they stop getting access to new products before launch and they can't have their stories out when the embargo lifts. That's basically a death sentence to any media outlet.
Yeah, unfortunatelty this is true for the most part.

The worst place to get honest info about any problems with a product is the cycling media, who rely on remaining in the good graces of these companies for their very existence.

Even the smaller 'independent' bloggers etc, rely on these companies for their existance at the end of the day, whatever they might tell you.

And also you do not know the standard of the product that these reviewers receive. Is it actually the product that is available to the public, or is it a superior version in some way or othe,r that is much more likely to produce a favorable review i.e less likely to fail.

*With an honorable mention to the cycling tips article I must say.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

scico

by scico

Teh dealer sent me back a pair of new Comp (only pedals in the old package).
I'm going to install them and we'll see.

scico

by scico

scico wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:28 am
Teh dealer sent me back a pair of new Comp (only pedals in the old package).
I'm going to install them and we'll see.
Update.
After 200km more or less, the new right pedal has the lateral movement again.

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

This is just an inevitable thing with these pedals. Part of the design now. Pointless even to try to get replacements. Wahoo should just start marketing the pedals as having "not only rotational but also lateral float, which increases or decreases your Q-factor in an organic way as you pedal".

I think there are probably enough customers out there who are riding them and are not aware of this issue at all, hence sales continue. 2mm of play does not make these pedals un-rideable, by any means. But a decent company would at least acknowledge the defect and say something publicly about it, or better yet stop selling the damn things, and go back to the drawing board.

ms6073

by ms6073

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:04 am
This is just an inevitable thing with these pedals. Part of the design now. Pointless even to try to get replacements
Agreed. While it helped shed weight from the pedal, in the long run adopting a press-fit application for the nearings over the original snap-ring setup has not worked out, but it has given me new found appreciation for the orginal Speedplay Zero design. All Wahoo really needed to do was replace the original bow ties and improve the spindle, but I am guessing that the engineers opted for pressing the spindle and bearings into the pedals body in one shot as a means of simplifying manufacturing processes.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

WouldLikeToBeLighter

by WouldLikeToBeLighter

I was recommended Speedplay pedals and started to look at them before fidnding this thread. From reading here it very much seems the problems still exist.

I asked my LBS who came back with "We’ve got a number of the wahoo’s but so far no negative results from purchasers"

And I also asked Wahoo who gave a "A small tolerance discrepancy caused lateral play in a small percentage of our Nano, Comp, Zero, and Aero pedals. We identified this quality issue and have implemented a solution. Not all pedals are affected from any production period and so it is unlikely that any given pedal set would exhibit the issue"

I don't want to buy these only to find I keep having to send them back. I'd prefer to buy from my LBS but if they keep needing replacing under warranty then there's a whole lot of trips to their involved and probably hassle they don't need.

It would be great to hear that things are working (from users rather than sellers) but that just doesn't seem to be the case yet. Has anyone had a positive experience with them yet?

ms6073

by ms6073

WouldLikeToBeLighter wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:32 pm
I asked my LBS who came back with "We’ve got a number of the wahoo’s but so far no negative results from purchasers"
My LBS said that as well and then I was the first of their Wahoo Speedplay customers to have an issue - twice. The other day wife and I were taking a break and another rider with the new pedals who noticed we both had legacy Speedplays, suggested that we should upgrade as the new ones 'where much better'. I walked over to his bike, tugged on the left pedal and heard a click and felt about 3mm of lateral play in the pedal body then indicated to him to do what I had done and he was shocked!
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

WouldLikeToBeLighter wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:32 pm
I was recommended Speedplay pedals and started to look at them before fidnding this thread. From reading here it very much seems the problems still exist.

And I also asked Wahoo who gave a "A small tolerance discrepancy caused lateral play in a small percentage of our Nano, Comp, Zero, and Aero pedals. We identified this quality issue and have implemented a solution. Not all pedals are affected from any production period and so it is unlikely that any given pedal set would exhibit the issue"

I don't want to buy these only to find I keep having to send them back. I'd prefer to buy from my LBS but if they keep needing replacing under warranty then there's a whole lot of trips to their involved and probably hassle they don't need.

It would be great to hear that things are working (from users rather than sellers) but that just doesn't seem to be the case yet. Has anyone had a positive experience with them yet?
Take a look at Keywin pedals. They have float very similar to SP but are better in so many ways. The platform is bigger. The maintenance required is virtually non-existent and you can tune the resistance of the float. The cleats last forever and you'll never need to worry about any rocking of the cleat as you do with SP.

WouldLikeToBeLighter

by WouldLikeToBeLighter

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:36 pm
Take a look at Keywin pedals. They have float very similar to SP but are better in so many ways. The platform is bigger. The maintenance required is virtually non-existent and you can tune the resistance of the float. The cleats last forever and you'll never need to worry about any rocking of the cleat as you do with SP.
I was looking at the speed play aero pedals as they are worth a watt or two for my time trial bike. I don't think the keywin pedals would have the same affect sadly.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Keywin's stack height is 14mm.
That's a normal figure, not low like 8.5mm of Speedplay on 4 bolt shoes.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Hexsense wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:50 pm
Keywin's stack height is 14mm.
That's a normal figure, not low like 8.5mm of Speedplay on 4 bolt shoes.
There's more to pedals than stack height.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Yeah, of course. I just added things that Keywin cannot outshine Speedplay.
Many people tolerate with Speedplay just because of its aero+stack height. Otherwise, they'd just ride Shimano Dura-ace pedal. Which is probably the next best thing: 13.7mm stack height., sleek looking, stable platform, very very durable.

Wait, I'm talking about myself too... I own Dura-ace and Speedplay. Dura-ace feels better and probably is better on everything except aero and stack height. Which is why I'm still on Speedplay right now.

Sace

by Sace

I ended up dealing directly with Wahoo regarding my replacements. They eventually upgraded med to a set of Zero pedals that I haven't used yet. But the zero's I got replaced in the spring now has 3500km in them and no play.

matheussiq8

by matheussiq8

Not sure this is the right place but what initially was some lateral movement on my Speedplay Comp (with a self-upgraded longer titanium axle) now has become a completely destroyed pedal.

Yesterday, after around 5000km using these the retaining bolt that is held within the pedal somehow broke from whetever retained it in place and the whole pedal came off the axle!

Not sure if there is anything that can be done now.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com