Wahoo speedplay zero - weird side to side movement

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ms6073

by ms6073

robertbb wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:15 pm
Is there any way to tell whether one's getting the "fixed" model when purchasing? Barcode? Manufacture date?
The last pair I got back on warranty from Wahoo had '(GEN1-53)' in the line item of the purhcase order no. that was included in the box the pedals where shipped in.

I have opted not to use the warranty replacments yet as I am happy with the 'tuned' legacy Zero's I am currently riding, not to mention that although I have the cleats dialed in to 0 float, there feels like a slight bit more lateral play with the Wahoo version than with the legacy version.
Last edited by ms6073 on Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robertbb

by robertbb

ms6073 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:42 pm
robertbb wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:15 pm
Is there any way to tell whether one's getting the "fixed" model when purchasing? Barcode? Manufacture date?
The last pair I got back on warranty from Wahoo had '(GEN1-53)' in the line item of the purhcase order no. that was included in the box the pedals where shipped in.

I have opted not to use the warranty replacments yet as I am happy with the 'tuned' legacy Zero's I am currently riding, not to mention that although I have the cleats dialed in to 0 float - there is still a slight bit of lateral play - yet there seems to be a bit more lateral play with the Wahoo version than with the legacy version.
Interesting, thanks for the data point. I reckon the safest thing to do at this point is wait and see....

ms6073

by ms6073

Not sure if the author will post here, but wanted to cross post a reply in the Odd Wahoo POWRLINK Zero behaviour thread, in which the author of the post mentions having to contact Wahoo for replacements of the Wahoo PowerLink pedals due to lateral play in the spindles!
longtimelurker wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:10 pm
Registered to reply to your comment on the broken clip in mechanism. I had this happen 3 times since purchasing the Powrlinks in May 2022. Contacted the wahoo customer service, they did send me replacement cleats 3 times now because of this issue. They also send me a run down of what could cause the problem. My cleats were set up the same as yours, right in the middle.

Went through a bike fitting and noted the problem, the fitter said ''your foot positioning is fine, shouldn't be a problem.'' Turned out the cleats still broke, not sure what my problem is here.

This happend after two rides with a total amount of 90 kilometers.

It did wear the pedal body quite badly:

As the axles started to develop a minimum amount of play I did contact the customer service again, they're sending me a new pair of pedals, but seriously thinking about selling the new pair because I don't want to run into the same issues again riding the pedals.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

longtimelurker

by longtimelurker

Yup, had this happen on my pedals.

First the body itself had play, when trying to wiggle it side to side I saw a small lateral play. Contacted Wahoo customer servive and explained the issue, they instantly offered me to exchange the pedals, kudos there.

by the way: Is it allowed to trade via this forum? Looking to sell the new pedals and switch to Assioma.

milanv

by milanv

longtimelurker wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:32 am

First the body itself had play, when trying to wiggle it side to side I saw a small lateral play. Contacted Wahoo customer servive and explained the issue, they instantly offered me to exchange the pedals, kudos there.

by the way: Is it allowed to trade via this forum? Looking to sell the new pedals and switch to Assioma.
Have they asked you to send them video with the problem?

longtimelurker

by longtimelurker

milanv wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:56 am
longtimelurker wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:32 am

Have they asked you to send them video with the problem?
No they did not ask for a video. They've been really accommodating with this issue, not sure if my customer service record played a part into this.

Had 3 broken spring plates warrantied causing excessive pedal body wear because of premature failure of these spring plates (as you can see in the post above).

Thanks for crossposting ms6073!

akod

by akod

Here we are in April 2023 and I've had the "luck" to have to replace 4 sets of Zeroes with wahoo on warranty because of the lateral play (on 2 bikes). The replacement set they just sent me - SAME issue! My knees don't react well to the lateral play- even a little bit...

They're really helpful in customer support, but this is too much. For those who have had no issues, I'm jealous. My old Zeroes needed some care now and then but they were amazing compared to this! :roll:

naavt

by naavt

akod wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:14 am
Here we are in April 2023 and I've had the "luck" to have to replace 4 sets of Zeroes with wahoo on warranty because of the lateral play (on 2 bikes). The replacement set they just sent me - SAME issue! My knees don't react well to the lateral play- even a little bit...

They're really helpful in customer support, but this is too much. For those who have had no issues, I'm jealous. My old Zeroes needed some care now and then but they were amazing compared to this! :roll:
I have 4 bikes all with speedplays. 2 of them with old "genuine" nanos and the other 2 with Wahoo's Comp converted to nano's with Dulight titanium spindles.

My wife also have her bike with converted Comp's. Until now everything's fine.

This week I've invested in a PowrLink set, simply because my new bike BB shell is too big for my P2Max spider crank. They will be installed next week. I really hope that they will work hassle free but let's wait and see.

Gauthier18

by Gauthier18

Hi everyone,

I want to buy a new set of Wahoo Speedplay zero pedals.

I read à lot of comment of users who have problem of lateral movement with this model...

Does anyone know if this has been definitively fixed ?

Thanks 😉

tarmackev

by tarmackev

I'm still running the old Speedplay Zero. I loved the brand. US cycling companies really know how to market.

Is it worth changing to the Wahoo version? Judging from the comments on here i'd guess no.

pesos

by pesos

I changed only to get power meter functionality - no reason to change otherwise that I'm aware of. But I still use and prefer "old" speedplay cleats with the new pedals.

lukaszzsch

by lukaszzsch

I changed to New version two month ago and after 3 workouts lateral play appeared.

They exchanged my pedals quickly, new set has no problem with any movement but today I removed axle and body contains old type of bearing instead sealed one. Strange “upgrade”Image

ms6073

by ms6073

lukaszzsch wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:48 pm
They exchanged my pedals quickly, new set has no problem with any movement but today I removed axle and body contains old type of bearing instead sealed one. Image
Other than changing to a press-fit bearing assembly that has a slightly different outboard bearing, I do not think Wahoo made any changes to the inboard bearing. Unlike the original Speedplay Zero, the bearing insert cannot easily be removed/replaced - at least not without a suitable drift and a hydraulic press.
- Michael

lukaszzsch

by lukaszzsch

I though that wahoo’s speedplays were announced as having sealed machine bearing.
Can’t understand how such bearing as showed at my picture can last without regular greasing when old speedplays required frequent service.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

akod

by akod

I went back to "old" Zeroes. After so many sets, I'm not sure how this is not solved yet. The lollipop grease replacement schedule is no big deal for me...well worth it. I have a few sets so I'll be ok for at least a few more seasons. Maybe the defects will be worked out by then? :?: :shock:

AND, as usual, Wahoo Customer Support was truly great to work with every step of the way. Could not have been better.

Speaking of: Grease "Gun" --> Works great!! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K2GZK73?re ... tails&th=1
Attachments
grease.JPG
grease.JPG (50.6 KiB) Viewed 763 times